DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Error, EXIT P-GPS Mode Mid flight, not saved in alert log

Reading this I'm supposing there may be some confusion about "speed warnings".

The SPEED_LARGE_ERROR seen at 319 secs is issued by the FC and is basically saying that the AC predicted and measured speeds don't match. This gets presented in the Go App as a "compass error".

A motor speed warning is unrelated to a SPEED_LARGE_ERROR. Except that, in this case, seeing the motor max speed warning caused the pilot to abruptly remove full elevator which, in turn, caused the SPEED_LARGE_ERROR.

The FC control algorithms seem to be pretty robust. I don't actually know this since I've not had any experience with other drones besides DJI. But, it's always possible to drive the algorithms to the edge where they don't do so well. @lenabanana maybe you should become a DJI test pilot:)

Thank you for clarifying.... So it would appear that I am getting random errors on screen that are not registering in the logs at all.

Will try and get a dozen more flights in this weekend with screen record on to I can capture the warnings that aren't showing in the logs.
I did refresh the firmware so maybe (hopefully) all will be well and I can get on with my life with a functional Mavic again.

Thank you for clarifying.... So it would appear that I am getting random errors on screen that are not registering in the logs at all.

I don't think it means that at all. How did you conclude that from @BudWalker's post?

Reactions: BudWalker

Will try and get a dozen more flights in this weekend with screen record on to I can capture the warnings that aren't showing in the logs.
I did refresh the firmware so maybe (hopefully) all will be well and I can get on with my life with a functional Mavic again.
The SPEED_ERROR_LARGE is shown in the logs. That's when you see the Go App say "compass error".

As for the motor max speed warnings you see in the Go App. Those probably are recorded in the logs somewhere. It's just that either 1) the converters TXTlogToCSVtool or DatCon aren't smart enough to see them, 2) the flight analysts (myself included) aren't smart enough, or 3) both.

Anyway, it seems clear enough what happened.

I can't comment on the motor speed warning because neither of the flights that you posted logs for had one. If you can figure out which flight and post the log then I can take a look. Either way, with that kind of flying in sport mode, the occasional motor warning is not surprising and does not necessarily indicate a problem.
I was actually just flying straight in sport mode when I got the motor warning - which I guess wouldn't be that alarming except this is my 3rd Mavic and with over 100 flights logged I have never seen this warning (or the compass error) before. My flying habits and location haven't changed and I did 4 flights and got 3 warnings on this new bird that I had never seen before.

I guess I'll just consider it a fluke and see what if I have any other issues... Is flying full tilt in sport mode not recommended?

Anyway, it seems clear enough what happened.
I am still unclear I guess.... is user error the verdict?
I don't think it means that at all. How did you conclude that from @BudWalker's post?
I concluded that because he explained that speed error is not the same as motor max error and motor max is what I saw on screen which caused me to release the sticks - which THEN caused the speed error.

I was actually just flying straight in sport mode when I got the motor warning - which I guess wouldn't be that alarming except this is my 3rd Mavic and with over 100 flights logged I have never seen this warning (or the compass error) before. My flying habits and location haven't changed and I did 4 flights and got 3 warnings on this new bird that I had never seen before.

I guess I'll just consider it a fluke and see what if I have any other issues... Is flying full tilt in sport mode not recommended?

I am still unclear I guess.... is user error the verdict?

I concluded that because he explained that speed error is not the same as motor max error and motor max is what I saw on screen which caused me to release the sticks - which THEN caused the speed error.
User error? I guess that's debatable. I like to think my forte is analyzing flight data and writing software to help do that. Evaluating pilot behavior, not so much. Maybe you could look at it as being avoidable. But, what's the fun in that? The Mavic was full elevator for 256 secs before it said "too much". And, all that really happened is that you had to back off a bit.

I wonder if you are misremembering when you saw the motor error. In post #5 you wrote:

I believe this is the first flight it happened during but it doesn't even show it in the log, it was towards the end of the flight - I also had a motor speed maxout during this flight @5 min 10 seconds Not sure what that is happening there or why... mavic is reporting super low speed or even 0mp at times for almost a minute.
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

That's the flight that I looked at in post #17, and neither the txt nor the DAT indicate a motor error that I can see. Additionally, there is no period in that flight where the aircraft was flying slowly except just after takeoff and during landing:

2018-06-28_[19-20-51]_03.png

User error? I guess that's debatable. I like to think my forte is analyzing flight data and writing software to help do that. Evaluating pilot behavior, not so much. Maybe you could look at it as being avoidable. But, what's the fun in that? The Mavic was full elevator for 256 secs before it said "too much". And, all that really happened is that you had to back off a bit.

Talking of software and converters, I notice that the "CUSTOM_hSpeed__m_s_" in @ferraript's conversion of the txt log mentioned above appears to be a factor of 10 low compared to the actual horizontal speed computed from the x and y speeds.

Reactions: MavicCF

You're probably right - maybe I have my setting adjusted differently than in the past and that is giving a bit of extra work to the motors. I often fly in sport and full tilt without issue but perhaps this one is just a bit faster or the conditions were just perfect to overload the motors.
Will play more this weekend and update - hope it's not my flying that is causing the compass error as well.

I wonder if you are misremembering when you saw the motor error. In post #5 you wrote:

That's the flight that I looked at in post #17, and neither the txt nor the DAT indicate a motor error that I can see. Additionally, there is no period in that flight where the aircraft was flying slowly except just after takeoff and during landing:

View attachment 41065
Wow you're totally right, I did not realize you could click on the red locations on the map to show where the drone was when the error occured - that is NOT where the Mavic was when I got the error.

I will do all my flights this weekend with screen capture on so that I can catch where the drone is when the error pops up, if it pops up again.

Thank you both for your help and wisdom!

Last edited:
Reactions: sar104
hope it's not my flying that is causing the compass error as well.
The "compass error" is what the Go App says when there is a SPEED_ERROR_LARGE. And as @sar104 explained the SPEED_ERROR_LARGE was caused by the abrupt removal of full elevator. So, yes, the "compass error" was indirectly caused by the way it was flown. But, as I said, all that really happened is that you had to back off a bit.

I can see you're having a lot of fun with this.

The "compass error" is what the Go App says when there is a SPEED_ERROR_LARGE. And as @sar104 explained the SPEED_ERROR_LARGE was caused by the abrupt removal of full elevator. So, yes, the "compass error" was indirectly caused by the way it was flown. But, as I said, all that really happened is that you had to back off a bit.

I can see you're having a lot of fun with this.
Having fun... lol . I'm struggling... so hard.
Sorry, I realize it is probably very frustrating to try and explain something to someone online who isn't understanding! I appreciate you being so patient with me.

Having fun... lol . I'm struggling... so hard.
It could be much worse, believe me. Your Mavic could fly off never to be seen again, plow itself into the ground causing a 10 foot wide debris field, doing slow unexplained yawing, etc. Come on, I know you're having fun pushing the Mavic until it says "uncle". BTW, I get the same with my Mavic.

Reactions: lenabanana
It could be much worse, believe me. Your Mavic could fly off never to be seen again, plow itself into the ground causing a 10 foot wide debris field, doing slow unexplained yawing, etc. Come on, I know you're having fun pushing the Mavic until it says "uncle". BTW, I get the same with my Mavic.
Maybe I'm normally a bit less vicious, but my first mavic was a gem (I crashed it - 100% my fault), had it fixed and then sold it because the scrapes on the body bothered me (regretting that decision now - it was a solid machine with zero issues) and bought a new one.

New one had problems right out the box, especially in sport mode. I activated it and didn't fly it much for the first week and a half and then realized it was having issues just shy of my 15 day replacement limit. Sent it to DJI for replacement.After a number of issues and delays they finally got this one back to me so I was trying to fully test it as soon as possible.

I have heard horror stories of people getting defective replacements back from DJI so I wanted to make sure this one was rock solid and in the process probably pushed it too hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker
I'm no magician
I can't make something if I don't have enough information

Ah - I had missed that post. It's not a big deal anyway - I only mentioned it in this thread because that particular data field was relevant to the discussion and it was not intended as a criticism. I appreciate all the work that you put into the converter.

Ah - I had missed that post. It's not a big deal anyway - I only mentioned it in this thread because that particular data field was relevant to the discussion and it was not intended as a criticism. I appreciate all the work that you put into the converter.
no problem man :)

Really having a hard time trusting this machine.... just tried to do another test flight and got a “high wind land ASAP” warning .... there is nearly no wind today. (4mph according to weatherman) IMG_2492.JPGIMG_2493.JPG

Last edited:
Really having a hard time trusting this machine.... just tried to do another test flight and got a “high wind land ASAP” warning .... there is nearly no wind today. (4mph according to weatherman) View attachment 41125View attachment 41126

I read a post last week where a guys said he farted and he received a high wind warning. Happy to report I was not there in person to confirm the accuracy of his statement.

Really having a hard time trusting this machine.... just tried to do another test flight and got a “high wind land ASAP” warning .... there is nearly no wind today. (4mph according to weatherman)
if I were you I would believe Mavic and not the weather service
and you can always pull the DAT log out of the AC and find the wind speed

if I were you I would believe Mavic and not the weather service
and you can always pull the DAT log out of the AC and find the wind speed

Kind of hard to believe the mavic when I was also there..... there was no breeze, the trees weren’t moving. Even the lake I was flying over was incredibly calm.

I realize 50 meters up might be a bit different conditions but that seems a bit far fetched. I fly with 15+mph winds pretty regularly and never got a land ASAP warning

If this thing can’t handle 4mph winds, I won’t be able to fly it 360 days of the year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan