DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass error in the mountains

Hanne _Love

Reactions
Hi guys. Today flew on a small everest. I wanted to shoot a video as we ride. But could not shoot the video. The drone gives a compass error. Calibration does not help. What can be done in a hotel in the mountains? And why did this error occur?

Reactions: Frankeh
First thing to do is to check if the callibrationproblem still exists if you are at another spot. If not, then it might be related to the spot you tried to do it. Can be caused by metal (your car?) in close proximity.

If the problem continues, then it is time for the eperts :)

Hi guys. Today flew on a small everest. I wanted to shoot a video as we ride. But could not shoot the video. The drone gives a compass error. Calibration does not help. What can be done in a hotel in the mountains? And why did this error occur?

What did you want to ride? A ski lift? A car? A hotel in the mountains has electrical wiring, rebar in concrete pourings, magnets in speakers, intercoms, telephones, and televisions. There are many things that could cause interference, and compass problems.

@Hanne _Love
Welcome to the Forum!

Same-o from me.
"I wanted to shoot a video as we ride"
A Horse, Donkey, Camel, Whale, etc?
Should be fine unless they have a lot of fillings for teeth.

Please give us an update, also was this Mavic stored in a car for a long time while travailing?

Rod

Mountain areas sometimes have magnetism in the rocks. I did experience many times with compass error. Do exercise caution. Without compass the RTH will go to a different location.

First thing to do is to check if the callibrationproblem still exists if you are at another spot. If not, then it might be related to the spot you tried to do it. Can be caused by metal (your car?) in close proximity.

If the problem continues, then it is time for the eperts :)
This problem was everywhere and the calibration of the sensors did not help.

What did you want to ride? A ski lift? A car? A hotel in the mountains has electrical wiring, rebar in concrete pourings, magnets in speakers, intercoms, telephones, and televisions. There are many things that could cause interference, and compass problems.
By car to the hotel. Snowmobiles drove through the mountains. The drone has always been with us. At my own risk, I flew with a compass error.

@Hanne _Love
Welcome to the Forum!

Same-o from me.
"I wanted to shoot a video as we ride"
A Horse, Donkey, Camel, Whale, etc?
Should be fine unless they have a lot of fillings for teeth.

Please give us an update, also was this Mavic stored in a car for a long time while travailing?

Rod
Yes, a long time. The drone is always stored in the trunk.

Mountain areas sometimes have magnetism in the rocks. I did experience many times with compass error. Do exercise caution. Without compass the RTH will go to a different location.
The drone is fine. I'm already at home. Problem still exists

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov