DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass warning and loss of control

Natehighup

Reactions
I always launch my Mavic Pro from the same picnic table at my park I visit with no issue (its a composite type table) so only metal I think is the hardware,so I took off and was at 4 feet I get compass redundancy error and I start to loose control the bird was going side to side without any input from me.
I was able to gently land it in the grass softly no issue. I have over 17 hours on the Mavic and have never had this error and upon further inspection the park or whoever removed the composite table and replace it with a regular wood and metal one so I’m sure that was the cause.
My question is will that error cause loss of control like that? I searched and found conflicting responses? Thanks in advance.

I always launch my Mavic Pro from the same picnic table at my park I visit with no issue (its a composite type table) so only metal I think is the hardware,so I took off and was at 4 feet I get compass redundancy error and I start to loose control the bird was going side to side without any input from me.
I was able to gently land it in the grass softly no issue. I have over 17 hours on the Mavic and have never had this error and upon further inspection the park or whoever removed the composite table and replace it with a regular wood and metal one so I’m sure that was the cause.
My question is will that error cause loss of control like that? I searched and found conflicting responses? Thanks in advance.

I've had that error when I've traveled long distances without compass calibration (like, thousands of miles). I've never had it affect my control of the Mavic Pro. Maybe try re-calibrating the compass and test it out in safe conditions.

If there are metal components in the table then it may be very sensitive to exactly where you place the aircraft at startup. If one of the compasses is close enough to a small piece of magnetized iron or steel that's all it takes to initialize the IMU yaw incorrectly.

If that's what happened then it will be recorded in the magnetometer data in the mobile device DAT file for that flight.

If there are metal components in the table then it may be very sensitive to exactly where you place the aircraft at startup. If one of the compasses is close enough to a small piece of magnetized iron or steel that's all it takes to initialize the IMU yaw incorrectly.

If that's what happened then it will be recorded in the magnetometer data in the mobile device DAT file for that flight.
I put the drone back on the table to check the compass after I landed and one of them was wayyy into the red!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka