DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compatible devices

burtsknees

Reactions
Just last year I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10inch model: SM-T510) from Costco. Now that I have a DJI Mavic Mini I thought the Samsung Tab A would be a great device to use only to be shocked that the DJI Fly app would not install. Google Play tells me the app is not compatible with the Samsung - which is slightly shocking considering how new the device is and that it's running a fairly new version of Android (version 10).

I'd love for a way to make the DJI Fly app work on the existing device but I'm guessing that isn't possible. So my question is, what tablets ARE compatible that won't break the bank as now it's only purpose would be just to use with the Mavic Mini?

Appreciate any help!

Just last year I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10inch model: SM-T510) from Costco. Now that I have a DJI Mavic Mini I thought the Samsung Tab A would be a great device to use only to be shocked that the DJI Fly app would not install. Google Play tells me the app is not compatible with the Samsung - which is slightly shocking considering how new the device is and that it's running a fairly new version of Android (version 10).

I'd love for a way to make the DJI Fly app work on the existing device but I'm guessing that isn't possible. So my question is, what tablets ARE compatible that won't break the bank as now it's only purpose would be just to use with the Mavic Mini?

Appreciate any help!
Here's a link to some info on SM-290 mode that works with the Fly app.l. It uses the Qualcomm processor and most important, ARM8 (64). Not sure if the newer Tab A models use a similar processor.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) 8" (32GB) with DJI Fly app | DJI Mavic Drone Forum (mavicpilots.com)

If you have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019) SM-T290 wifi or SM-T295 wifi/cell, you can go to DJI and download the Fly App. It will not load from the Google Play Store but works when you sideload it from DJI so try that on your model and let us know.

My Tab A says the same thing. So you have to download the apk from DJI. Once you download it, it will ask if you want to install it. Select yes and it should install just fine.

When you need to upgrade the app, you follow the same process.

The SM-T510 only has 2GB of installed RAM. I'm surprised Play even showed Fly to you for it.
I believed 4GB was required but others found Play offered Fly with 3GB RAM.

For those with 2GB, manual download and install worked but you could have issues. However that discussion was before version 1.2.2 which seems to be a CPU hog.

Reactions: burtsknees

Appreciate any help!

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR $129 US at Amazon today. (Same price as Costco for the past year). You have to download the apk from dji onto the tablet; then everything works well. I usually put my devices in airplane mode. ***note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. The latter is rarely mentioned. Also note that the 10" one does not work.

Attachments​

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Reactions: burtsknees

Appreciate any help!

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" 32 GB WiFi Android 9.0 Pie Tablet Black (2019) - SM-T290NZKAXAR $129 US at Amazon today. (Same price as Costco for the past year). You have to download the apk from dji onto the tablet; then everything works well. I usually put my devices in airplane mode. ***note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android. The latter is rarely mentioned. Also note that the 10" one does not work.

Attachments​

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Appreciate any help!
I have the same tab and it works fine , I think I download the app from DJI, and just put the latest updates on as well and all works just great.

Reactions: RxRay
note the T290 and DjFly needs both a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Android.
Is there a way I can verify if the processor in my Samsung SM-T510 is a 64bit CPU and if it's running a 32 or 64bit version of Android?

I have the same tab and it works fine , I think I download the app from DJI, and just put the latest updates on as well and all works just great.
I'm running version Android version 10. The Android security patch level is Nov 1, 2020 and when I tell the device to check for updates nothing is found.

Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work?

Well the DJI Fly app would never install on my Samsung 10" either from the Play Store or side loading it directly from DJI.

I got tired of messing around and bought a Samsung Tab A 8" (2019) and while I still can't load it from the Google Play Store I was able to install the app downloading the APK directly from DJI's website.

Appreciate any help!
My Samsung note 4 wouldn't work with the MM...too old technology but works fine for my Parrot Bebops. My brother has a Umidigi tablet android 9 and it worked fine so I found a brand new in box 7 inch on ebay for $70.00. I have no problems with it.

Jim

Appreciate any help!
So..they extoll the virtues of the machine and then make it **** hard to get the thing aligned with a suitable tablet/phone..hence all these queries..brilliant eh?

Appreciate any help!
I was toying around in the developer options of my Meberry 10" tablet today and changed my tablet to allow for only one background application. I was also going to force render to gpu but couldn't find that option. Now my Meberry M7 10" tablet runs DJI Fly for my Mavic Mini. Of course you will need a longer control cable but it does work upside down so the cable only has to be about 8 inches.

The tablet is actually quite good. It runs around $150 and has 4 gb of ram with a 64 bit cpu running android 10. The back is metal and comes in cool colors. It is also very bright. The battery life is also impressive. NO BLOATWARE.

The only down side is it doesn't have 5ghz wifi but the DJI app doesn't need that (for DJI FLY, the tablet is merely a display of what the controller is doing and a recording device). Other drones that use wifi for on-tablet control may need 5ghz. No GPS on the tablet either. But again, the Mavic doesn't use your phobe/tablet for GPS.

With a controller tablet adapter and a longer cable this beats using a cell phone for sure.

Last edited:
excuse me if I write after 2 years, but I'm facing the same problem.
I own a SM-T510 (Samsung Tab A with 10.1 inches screen), bought used (mint) some days ago and -of course- I'd like to use it with my MINI 2 drone.
I downloaded the APK from the DJI site and tried to install it. when it reachees some 4/5 of the whole installation it stops, and after awhile just writes "App not installed".

If I connect the tablet to the remote and then i turn on it, the 4 leds start flashing (slowly), exactly in the same manner they flash when there is nothing connected to its USB cable.

May you help me?

thx
R.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98