DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Computer recommendations

Capt. Justin

Reactions
I'm a fairly new Mavic owner, and looking to upgrade my home desktop or laptop. I will probably be using DaVinci Resolve for editing my videos, and would prefer to stay with a PC rather than a mac. I'm sure you guys probably have some great advice, and hopefully point me in the right direction. Go...

I suppose the biggest factor is budget. Also, are you seeking something portable or a desktop? I built my own desktop about a year ago and it was pretty easy (and actually pretty enjoyable) There are a lot of guides online that will get you started in the right direction if you decide to go that route and it's honestly much easier than it seems. Otherwise, if you are going laptop route I'd recommend a Microsoft Surface Book. Mine is about a year and a half old and I have never had an issue with it. Works great for photo/video editing as well.

Reactions: Capt. Justin
Summer is coming in Australia and I just cant keep my 2015 i5 Macbook Air cool enough to process 2.7k any more. It hit 100c tonight with turbo boost switcher 3 running, won't even do it without that. I had to use two small underneath fans and a big on from the top.
So I have to take the plunge. Been windows for decades but last few years so impressed with Macs (not the mobile stuff)
So can folk take a look at these specs and tell me if I can process 4k with ease? Has to be portable and light, hence the 13 inch. Even at A$300 a month For 12 is a lot, but needs must.
Any one got one of these? Can it easily do 4K? Any other thoughts anyone?
13‑inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey.
· 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
· 16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
· 512GB SSD
· Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
· Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
· Backlit Keyboard - English
· Pro Apps Bundle for Education
The Pro Apps Bundle is a collection of five industry-leading apps from Apple that deliver powerful creative tools for video editors and musicians. The bundle includes the following software:
Final Cut Pro X
Revolutionary video editing software designed for today’s all-digital workflows.
Motion 5
Powerful motion graphics tool for creating titles, transitions, and effects for Final Cut Pro X.
Compressor 4
Encoding companion to Final Cut Pro X for creating custom exports and iTunes Store packages.
Logic Pro X
Advanced music production software that turns your Mac into a professional recording studio.
MainStage 3
Live performance app that lets you bring your favourite sounds from Logic Pro X to the concert stage.
A$3,453.99
0% over 12 months
A$300 a month
With apple care
315.53 month

All thoughts welcome.

Reactions: marrick26
All laptops suffer from heat issues when asked to do any real work for more than a few seconds. Use a proper desktop cpu and decent size screens

Thanks for starting this post

I’m also thinking of upgrading my desktop
I’m looking at the HP 34 inch curved screen with Intel i7 dual processors and 16 GB of RAM / SDRAM and 2TB HDD

But I’m also toying around with getting a Gnarbox with the Seagate 2TB external HDD

The HP will set me back about $2,000 USD and I’ll still have to buy the software, the Gnarbox on the other hand, with the external hard drive included is about $370 USD and you can edit and create right on the spot without a laptop using just a mobile or iPad

I’m going to wait till Black Friday or cyber Monday here in United States, before I make a purchase, but I’m leaning towards the Gnarbox with the External HDD combo

Very curious to hear what other people come up with

Thank you all

Sounds good Insul8Man but I would definitely not go with a HDD with any system. Maybe a fusion drive, but SDD although expensive are your way better option. Sounds like all your specs are fast but HDD would be a narrow bottleneck. HDD are ok for long term storage but not living on your system.

Thanks John

The Seagate 2TB External HDD is a $65 USD add on to the $300 USD Gnarbox.
The Gnarbox that I’m looking at only has 128GB storage while editing
I just figured (the Seagate) was a cheap way to store additional video footage and content, while maintaining mobility

Your setup that you described is amazing!

Thanks again John

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98