DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confession is good. ...They say. (Near collision with wires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Scouting an interesting location for the fall foliage season to come.

Best viewed at 720.

I knew these 735 kV lines were near (could hardly not see them...), But I got all heads down in the app trying to figure out why the "radar" navigation display was not oriented correctly.

Luckily I saw the cables growing in the screen and hit "back and down" to avert a collision. Had I hit those lines, the MP would have ended up in the stream below... probably recoverable - but who needs that even with Refresh and a spare drone in the car...

(The mag compass warnings only appeared immediately after I backed out).

Lesson learned (ahem[again]): if you're fooling with settings and display, at least hover in place if not bring it back and land.

I like to believe I'm experienced. I am. But still can do dumb things if I let myself get distracted.

Fly Safe. er...

I'm amazed at how many power lines are all around us. Never noticed it until I got my mavic. I always had my nose down to the grindstone working on something.
Luckily I'm a weekend fly guy slacker now finding fun places to fly !

Reactions: nealh
Power lines are hard to see but those towers should of been a clear indicator that the lines where there. I know lines are very hard to see and a few times i've only seen lines after i've came home to view the video, but that's why I try to stay above any potential lines. And adjusting settings while on the move? Sheesh.

Reactions: Cascadian
Agreed. We are all human and make mistakes. I think we can agreed that this forum is mostly filled with that. If we learn from each other we can become better pilots. That said I can also understand some coming off as harsh as our sometimes poor actions as pilots are really setting standards for future regulations. I guess you could say we don't have room for errors.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

Well, let's see I'm a commercially licensed pilot and flight instructor. A big influence on me came from "Flying Magazine" which had a section called "I learned about flying from that" where very experienced pilots would illustrate emergencies or situations in glaring detail. Usually faulting themselves or other human factors from maintenance on to the cockpit. Everything from C-150's to B-747's and B-52's.

So, I made an error and I pointed out the error here for others to benefit from: do not get heads down in the app.

Now I realize your post is in retaliation for a post I made in reply to you where you believe I called you something. I never did. Go back and read (carefully ... letter by letter) what I wrote. Then come back and humbly apologize for your failure to read correctly - if you have the testicular fortitude to do so.

Have a nice day otherwise.

Reactions: kbn000 and WAXMAN
Power lines are hard to see but those towers should of been a clear indicator that the lines where there. I know lines are very hard to see and a few times i've only seen lines after i've came home to view the video, but that's why I try to stay above any potential lines. And adjusting settings while on the move? Sheesh.

Not at all, I knew there were there and I knew I was heading towards them. But distraction of figuring out the orientation error of the "radar" display got to me. Lesson learned.

Reactions: kbn000 and WAXMAN
Agreed. We are all human and make mistakes. I think we can agreed that this forum is mostly filled with that. If we learn from each other we can become better pilots. That said I can also understand some coming off as harsh as our sometimes poor actions as pilots are really setting standards for future regulations. I guess you could say we don't have room for errors.
The one coming off "harsh" is under the very mistaken impression that I insulted him elsewhere in the Forums (not so at all), and is retaliating. If he has any balls, he'll check it out and realize it.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Let us keep it civil gentle people.

Reactions: Vilco
I never wrote "Shi$ Head." That's your creation.

Like I said. Go back and read what I actually wrote. Read. Letter. By. Letter. That's important.

Then you'll realize that you owe me an apology. Public attack on me. Public apology warranted.

Have some balls and own up to your childish mistake. Takes balls mind you. Are you equipped?

Reactions: Bazzam
Exactly. Me saying "Preachy **** Ahead" is a self deprecating warning to others that I am being preachy. The end of the message said, "end of preach" - something that should have made you go read again.

YOU took it to mean "Shi$ HEAD". That is on you. Not me.

Have a nice day.

A lesson in paying close attention, kinda funny how an entirely different intent can be created by a little letter "a" added or subtracted.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Yikes!!! I think someone had their corn flakes pissed on today.
Maybe flymortalkless should change his screen name to flymortypeless.
Really no need for that level of criticism.

I've no dog in this fight, just watching safely from the side lines. But my betting money is on "flymortalkless", he's the real f***king deal, the chuck norris of UAV's. It was a pleasure to know you "Alan the beast", we will never forget you...RIP :)

Reactions: guest_1121
Gentleman, may we agree to disagree? Do either of you care enough about the others opinion of you to affect your self worth? This thread has moved off topic; as it is no longer germane to the Op's OP it is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78