DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Case tumbling down mountain & Mini near miss 1 mile out

Paleomanjim

Reactions
I have the stock Mini case that comes with the Combo. Earlier today I attempted to hike as high as possible up a very steep slope in an effort to be able to reach the summit of Turtle Head Peak with the Mini. The summit turned out to be around 1800' higher than my take off point on the slope, so the Mini came close but did not quite reach the top. Near the summit over 1 mile away I received a weak signal several times, and only after returning home did I see how close the mini came to hitting a Hoodoo just below the summit. Based on the size of the bunch grass growing on the hoodoo and the 20mph speed I believe the Mini missed it by less than 2'. In any case, after the return flight back to the slope I packed the Mini back into the case and put it in my backpack, then put the backpack on and watched the mini and case go tumbling down the Mountain! I had forgot to zip up the backpack! It tumbled a good 40' down the slope bouncing pretty high with each tumble. But the tough little case prevented any damage to the Mini. No doubt a soft case and even a solid case would have resulted in damage. The stock case is very flexible and forgiving. The pic shows by take off point on the slope
Mavic Mini Case Fall 2.jpg

I'm a fan of your video's and the chances you take with that Mini. :) Looks like they don't offer that hard case for the Mini 2. I personally like the soft case very much...Unlike a backpack you can swing it to the front and the way the closure is attached there is very little chance of anything falling out.
Those little close calls that you only see later while viewing the video can really get your attention cant' they o_O

Thanks folks. I'm considering buying the Mini 2 but not the combo. Since the batteries on the Mini 1 can be used on the Mini 2 that will give me 4 packs per outing. I usually fly all 3 packs but try not to get below 40% to increase longevity so 4 packs will give me around 1 hour of total flight time. And looks like the Mini 2 should fit in the original Mini 1 case. I'll keep the Mini 1 as a back up and for the more hazardous flights. I think I'll prefer the larger controller used on the 2 and I'll just throw it in the backpack loose. Mostly looking at the Occusync range advantage of the Mini 2 for the longer range flying I prefer. And the lower sound of the Mini 2 another big plus. The 4K is not a big deal for me since 1080P seems to do the job. Will be nice to be able to fly out over a mile without getting a weak signal alert.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura