DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confidence problem [emoji24]

crisp007

Reactions
Hi guys I’ve got a confidence problem. I have owned my Mavic for a few months, flew it in the fields around our home. I recently went to Antigua, rented a car and found some fantastic secluded beaches. Having never flown over water before, I never had the nerve to take it up, so I was thinking of taking a drone course (UK), what do you guys think? is it worth it or just keep practicing?
Thanks Mark

Hi guys I’ve got a confidence problem. I have owned my Mavic for a few months, flew it in the fields around our home. I recently went to Antigua, rented a car and found some fantastic secluded beaches. Having never flown over water before, I never had the nerve to take it up, so I was thinking of taking a drone course (UK), what do you guys think? is it worth it or just keep practicing?
Thanks Mark
Flying over water isn't any harder than flying over dry desert. The only issue is if you are flying low enough for your vision positioning system to be dealing with the constant movement of the water's surface. Otherwise, fly like you were flying over any other surface.

Also, there is nothing wrong with practicing and/or taking courses. To me, however, a course wouldn't do me any good unless it was in reference to commercial or service use. Good luck!

Thanks Mark

Mark,
I considder myself a cautious person. As such, I try to fly my Mavic Pro as much away from people as I can, and due to the geography of the Netherlands, you’ll often end up over water. It stresses me out sometimes but don’t worry too much. Try to fly into the wind and pay attention to your home point and -altitude. Set it to return home in case of signal loss and enjoy mate!

The Mavic is almost foolproof when it comes to returning home, so when you first take it over water, just make sure the winds arent too strong, check that your batttery and props are secured properly, just anything that makes you feel comfortable. Then fly it into the wind over water. Just one babystep at a time...

I hope this gives you the confidence to try! Looking forward to hearing your experiences ;-)
Cheers Joost

About 90% of my flying is over water. I worried when I first did but your confidence will come. I have people ask me all the time, " What do you do if it goes in the water" ? And I tell them that they will probably see a grown man cry! lol It doesn't fly any different, just be safe !

About 90% of my flying is over water. I worried when I first did but your confidence will come. I have people ask me all the time, " What do you do if it goes in the water" ? And I tell them that they will probably see a grown man cry! lol It doesn't fly any different, just be safe !
I realize a lot of anxiety is the thought of a drone going into the water where it may not be recoverable as opposed to being able to recover one that went down on a solid surface. I get that, but I guess I'm more of a realist. If mine went into the drink where I was unable to retrieve it, my thoughts would be replacement. It may sound heartless, but I'm the same with a pet. If my dog or cat dies, a new puppy or kitten will fill the void.

I realize a lot of anxiety is the thought of a drone going into the water where it may not be recoverable as opposed to being able to recover one that went down on a solid surface. I get that, but I guess I'm more of a realist. If mine went into the drink where I was unable to retrieve it, my thoughts would be replacement. It may sound heartless, but I'm the same with a pet. If my dog or cat dies, a new puppy or kitten will fill the void.
You’re right... that *does* sound heartless... ;-)

make sure your batteries and props are properly secured. don’t fly too low or too far out, try to keep in mind to land with at least 35% battery (to avoid landing in water) and you’ll be fine. have fun!

Reactions: crisp007
I often fly out over the sea as I live on the coast .... when I'm at the beach I deliberately fly over water to avoid flying over people. I have never had any issues at all.

Reactions: MAVA4 and crisp007
I fly over water quite a bit. No insurance at all. I don't know what would be worst, a total loss in the drink, or a pile of plastic and what not on hard ground. I feel it's worth the chance given what you can capture over water. YMMV

Reactions: MAVA4 and crisp007
Thanks guys after reading your comments I think I just need to grow a pair lol. I’m so gutted I missed some fantastic picture opportunities even the wife kept saying just fly it lol [emoji23]
Practice is the answer. I believe, it is the only answer. Only you know your abilities, and do not exceed them.

Reactions: crisp007
I have been flying RC fixed wing stuff for about 45 years and have been quite successful in teaching many new pilots to fly.
There have been a few individuals however that I simply could not teach and they never caught on. They were the type that were so un-nerved at the aspect of crashing, or in one case the simple expense of replacing a broken prop they never got any closer to the beauty and enjoyment of flying .

sit down and think about the worst thing that could happen while flying over water , or sand, or a solid brick wall. If you can visualize that situation and deal with it then just go fly you will still go home that evening and have dinner with your wife even if you other love is sleeping with the fish.
If the thought of losing your AC in 300 feet of sea water brings on a a paralizing cold sweat stamp collecting may be a bit more comforting .
Rule no 1 for anything that flies...GRAVITY NEVER SLEEPS
Rule no 2 ...PILOTS CAN'T CHANGE RULE NO 1
mikemoose55

I have been flying RC fixed wing stuff for about 45 years and have been quite successful in teaching many new pilots to fly.
There have been a few individuals however that I simply could not teach and they never caught on. They were the type that were so un-nerved at the aspect of crashing, or in one case the simple expense of replacing a broken prop they never got any closer to the beauty and enjoyment of flying .

sit down and think about the worst thing that could happen while flying over water , or sand, or a solid brick wall. If you can visualize that situation and deal with it then just go fly you will still go home that evening and have dinner with your wife even if you other love is sleeping with the fish.
If the thought of losing your AC in 300 feet of sea water brings on a a paralizing cold sweat stamp collecting may be a bit more comforting .
mikemoose55

LOL [emoji23]

mikemoose55
Just because you couldn't teach them does not mean that they could not learn.

A fishy tale... I lost a quad in the water once. Not a Mavic, it was a Quantum Nova. I was trying to get some shots along the river. Have to admit it was pilot error, I pulled up into some trees broke a prop and ditched. Went right to the bottom :(

I jumped in, it wasn't too deep, and fished it out. Disconnected the battery as quickly as possible (no electronic switched on the quantum, just a dean's plug and socket). Took it inside and left it on the boiler for a few days.

Guess what I still fly the Nova now an again. I also still use the same lipo. Did have to buy a new prop though :). Not sure you would have as much luck in the sea... salt water is not so friendly being both more conductive and corrosive.

Anyway, not trying to put you off, go for it, you are probably safer over the water anyway as long as you stay high, as there are no trees!

Just because you couldn't teach them does not mean that they could not learn.
Not what I was saying these were not men with limited abilities> In many cases highly skilled and experienced in their jobs.
My worst case was my friend who could not get over the cost of broken props,he cried every time he broke one or had to go into his pocket.
I was his mentor for nearly two years, spent tons of hours with him at his home and at the club field. As a retired construction worker he was a highly skilled concrete mason and carpenter. He built his one and only trainer plane from a kit and did apretty good job.

His mental limitation was he constantly kept a running total of the cost of the hobby, he could squeeze a nickel until the buffalo crapped. Finally threw in the towel after he decided that it wasn't worth investing another dime trying to learn to fly. I worked with him constantly but I have to tell you when he decided the cost was too much and threw in the towel I kind of got my life back.
EVERYBODY can learn but some people simply can not be taught
mikemoose55

Reactions: William Stinessen
The self embellishment on this site drives me nuts some times.

Hi guys, I use this I do not worry when I fly over water
d37a1236d0b92e2e.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload