DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confidence problem [emoji24]

I’ve trained many on fixed wing r/c flying. But there were a couple who simply could not do it— even after working with several instructors.

I think it was mostly nerves. Nearly all could afford the cost of a crashed trainer plane with ease. Yet they would shake like crazy when trying to fly.

Strangely, I feel more nervous flying my Mavic Pro than flying my giant scale fixed wing—which cost a lot more than a Mavic. For me I think it is control and trust. With r/c I am absolutely in control of the aircraft. With my MP I have to relinquish much of that control (and that is amazing). So for me it is just taking time to trust the Mavic more and more. I’m also not usually flying my Mavic with friends down at my local flying field: it’s just me usually. But I feel a heckuva lot better flying the MP now than I did when I got it (a whole month and a half ago lol).

Mike

I have watched some videos on these and they look pretty good. (floats)

LOL! I know, right?
I think its more about hiding the "you are an idiot" intent that the posts always contain. I think it throws off the post deleters! :D
Not really
IMG_9548.gif

Hi guys I’ve got a confidence problem. I have owned my Mavic for a few months, flew it in the fields around our home. I recently went to Antigua, rented a car and found some fantastic secluded beaches. Having never flown over water before, I never had the nerve to take it up, so I was thinking of taking a drone course (UK), what do you guys think? is it worth it or just keep practicing?
Thanks Mark
You didn't buy it so it could sit in a bag. It was designed and brought by you to fly. It's of no use and a waste of money to be sitting in a cupboard for the rest of it's life.

If you think the course may help sure go for it, its always best to protect your investment.

understanding everything your sensors are doing in your flight environment, not just the area around you, and how your flight control will be affected by them is best. then you will be able to compensate better than theory can teach.

Reactions: crisp007
You didn't buy it so it could sit in a bag. It was designed and brought by you to fly. It's of no use and a waste of money to be sitting in a cupboard for the rest of it's life.

It’s not sat in the cupboard I’ve got no confidence when it comes to flying over the sea [emoji41]

Hi guys I’ve got a confidence problem. I have owned my Mavic for a few months, flew it in the fields around our home. I recently went to Antigua, rented a car and found some fantastic secluded beaches. Having never flown over water before, I never had the nerve to take it up, so I was thinking of taking a drone course (UK), what do you guys think? is it worth it or just keep practicing?
Thanks Mark

Flying over water is fun, a little different air current and situations if you fly low. Way cool though, to catch large mammals swimming about though. I always use these things called GetterBacks just incase I go for a swim.

Thanks Mark
Thanks Mark

I’ve been flying for 5 years. Flying water is the same as flying over over land.
Just get out there and do it. The more you fly the more confident you’ll become with your skills and equipment.

I have been flying RC fixed wing stuff for about 45 years and have been quite successful in teaching many new pilots to fly.
There have been a few individuals however that I simply could not teach and they never caught on. They were the type that were so un-nerved at the aspect of crashing, or in one case the simple expense of replacing a broken prop they never got any closer to the beauty and enjoyment of flying .

sit down and think about the worst thing that could happen while flying over water , or sand, or a solid brick wall. If you can visualize that situation and deal with it then just go fly you will still go home that evening and have dinner with your wife even if you other love is sleeping with the fish.
If the thought of losing your AC in 300 feet of sea water brings on a a paralizing cold sweat stamp collecting may be a bit more comforting .
Rule no 1 for anything that flies...GRAVITY NEVER SLEEPS
Rule no 2 ...PILOTS CAN'T CHANGE RULE NO 1
mikemoose55
I'm with you 100% mikemoose55. Old RCers like ourselves have measured the costs and decided that we fly until it breaks. Same attitude for copters. Have flown quite a bit of water and what I do is spend the first couple of minutes over land. Most failures you hear of will take place in this time period. Then go out and pursue your over-water time, leaving at least 50% battery for return to home. What you don't want is to have an emergency landing in the water, which will most likely be your fault. Get back over land and close if you want to expend the battery to low levels. At least there, if emergency 10% landing initiates, it's going down on land where you can retrieve it, hopefully in one piece!

I stay above 50 feet when over water. Plenty of time if the wind shifts for correction and my 11 year old daughter flew over the Gulf of Mexico

Thanks Mark
I felt the same way flying with my cousin on the Big Island of Hawaii. He flies over water all the time.

I started out by lifting off from the beach and letting my P3S hover in place (over land) for a minute or so. This allowed me to gauge the effects of the wind, if any. I was also able to set my camera settings (one less thing to focus on while over the water). Once I felt everything was set and stable, I flew up to 50 to 75 ft and headed out over the water. I found a spot where I could film some surfers. I'd never had any fly-aways or problems with my drone and was confident flying by looking at my ipad screen. I just had to trust that everything would continue to work properly.

Good luck and look forward to your videos.

Hey...those floats look interesting. I've been using the "fishing rod" Getterback, but I'd like to see some reviews on these red floats. How they affect performance, and how they fasten to the MP.

I recently went to Antigua, rented a car and found some fantastic secluded beaches. Having never flown over water before, I never had the nerve to take it up, so I was thinking of taking a drone course (UK), what do you guys think? is it worth it or just keep practicing? Thanks Mark

Orange floats.JPG White floats.JPG

I gotta say, those floats... I’d be much more worried that the drone would crash *because of* the floats, rather than it saving me in the unprobable chance of a ditch.
The getterbacks seem to be a good compromise; they might not save the drone in case of a ditch, but at least you can get it back and send it in for dji care refresh...
But “whatever floats your broat, scratch that, your drone” I guess...;-)

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
Thanks Mark

Flying over water is very cool ! Check my last video I did last week !

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and tictag

Greg, nice one!
Could you please take the drone up to Rocher de Naye one day? I went there once with friends in bismal weather and slept in one of the yurts... awesome experience, and the area must be fantastic for flying the Mav!

Very good, loved the tilt reveals and the sync to the music was epic! Not so keen on the transitions. Really inspiring, want to go fly right now....though it's night time... ;)

Very good, loved the tilt reveals and the sync to the music was epic! Not so keen on the transitions. Really inspiring, want to go fly right now....though it's night time... ;)

Thank you very much for this comment !!

It was very nice to fly this day ! No wind, a beautiful sun and the lake !

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman