DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confirmed and stable android tablet with Fly app

Not sure if it is officially speced, but but it seem Fly was intended to run only on devices with 4GB or more RAM installed. Google Play won't present Fly if your device doesn't have at least 4GB RAM. Many instead manually installed it by downloading the APK from DJI's website and got it to work with as little as 2GB.

The direction locator can show the drone's orientation (pointing away from you, towards you, etc) using only the stone's compass, but the app needs the device's compass to show the stone's orbit position around you.
Think of this:
You fly the drone straight out in front of you 500ft. You would expect the indicator to show it is in front of you. Now you, not the drone, turn right 90 degrees. Now the drone is to the left of you. How is the app to know this change without referring to a compass on the device? After all, only you moved by turning orientation.
Google Play will show the Fly app for the Asus Zenpad Z8s which only has 3GB of ram (64 bit OS) and the app works perfectly fine.

Hi,
Just bought galaxy tabA 10.1 and could not download dji fly app from play store. Downloaded apk from dji website and still doesn't install
Any help?
THANKS,
Henry

Very helpful thread!

So for those of you who got the Zenpad Z8s, it doesn't fit in the MM controller mount, correct?

And is it able to handle editing in the Fly App okay?

My only drone experience so far has been with a Tello, so very basic.

Very helpful thread!

So for those of you who got the Zenpad Z8s, it doesn't fit in the MM controller mount, correct?

And is it able to handle editing in the Fly App okay?

My only drone experience so far has been with a Tello, so very basic.
It doesn't fit the controller but with something simple like this one I bought, It fits perfectly and very solid.
tablet mount
I have never edited in the Fly app. Didn't even know you could. I just download the footage to pc and do it all there.
Also, you don't have to buy a new usb cable as the one from DJI fits it. With no room to spare but that just makes it even better with no wires hanging around. It doesn't get any more compact than this setup for a tablet.

It doesn't fit the controller but with something simple like this one I bought, It fits perfectly and very solid.
tablet mount
I have never edited in the Fly app. Didn't even know you could. I just download the footage to pc and do it all there.
Also, you don't have to buy a new usb cable as the one from DJI fits it. With no room to spare but that just makes it even better with no wires hanging around. It doesn't get any more compact than this setup for a tablet.
You rock, thanks!

I'm still deciding on pulling the trigger on a drone right now, but it's getting harder to say no, haha.

Reactions: Tufargon
Really wish I would have done a little more research before purchasing a tablet I thought would work. I just purchased a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) (SM T-510) and even though it has 3 GB of RAM(according to the Costco website I purchased it at), is running 64 bit processor (Exnyos 7904) and 64 bit android (ARMV8L) it doesn't work.

The app is not available for download from the Google Play store, and is not able to complete installation when trying to sideload. Now that I read more about this tablet on this forum, I see it isn't compatible. I've seen mixed reviews on wether or not the smaller version of this tablet (Tab A 8.0 SM T-290) works or not.

I will be running it with my Mavic Air 2, looking for any help. I am not interested in getting into the world of Apple infrastructure and I am already heavily invested in the Android (specifically Galaxy) world.

I have seen plenty of posts here saying the 8" Lenovo Tab M8 FHD works, but the real question is will the Tab M10 (gen 2) work for the DJI FLY APP? I have also seen several posts saying the Galaxy Tab S6 lite would work, and if this is the case I would be open to that as a possibility.
Tough to say what will work without actually trying. If you look at the specs, a Lenovo TabM10 should smoke the M8 FHD but the problem is not coming from tablet manufacturers, it comes from DJI and the awkward way they code their. Apps. First they do Apple, then they port over to Android. Most likely, extensive testing on Apple devices and very limited testing on Android devices. So, until someone tests it, we will not know. I can guarantee you DJI will not perform that test.

Tough to say what will work without actually trying. If you look at the specs, a Lenovo TabM10 should smoke the M8 FHD but the problem is not coming from tablet manufacturers, it comes from DJI and the awkward way they code their. Apps. First they do Apple, then they port over to Android. Most likely, extensive testing on Apple devices and very limited testing on Android devices. So, until someone tests it, we will not know. I can guarantee you DJI will not perform that test.
I know for a fact that the M8 FHD works BUT it doesn't have a compass so I returned mine. As far as I can see the TabM10 doesn't have one either.
What I have now and works perfectly with the Fly app is an Asus Zenpad Z8s (Verizon model).

I know for a fact that the M8 FHD works BUT it doesn't have a compass so I returned mine. As far as I can see the TabM10 doesn't have one either.
What I have now and works perfectly with the Fly app is an Asus Zenpad Z8s (Verizon model).
I kept my M8 FHD because I got tired of searching, without the compass, the only thing you lose is the little arrow on the map that points to where the transmitter is. Not a big deal for me since I fly pretty much 100% LOS. I am tempted to look for a Zenpad now. Can it work without a cellular chip in it, as a straight tablet?

I kept my M8 FHD because I got tired of searching, without the compass, the only thing you lose is the little arrow on the map that points to where the transmitter is. Not a big deal for me since I fly pretty much 100% LOS. I am tempted to look for a Zenpad now. Can it work without a cellular chip in it, as a straight tablet?
I fly the same but it was an option I wanted just in case. I want all options available either way.
It works fine without a cellular chip. If you want data, all you have to do is tether it to your phone (same as most tablets).

Reactions: TurboMini
I fly the same but it was an option I wanted just in case. I want all options available either way.
It works fine without a cellular chip. If you want data, all you have to do is tether it to your phone (same as most tablets).
So no stuttering, nothing on the ASUS? If you find the time to perform the following test, I would really appreciate it:
-Mavic powered up, resting on something (log, or any support), move the gimbal up and down rapidly, does the image feed stutter, do you see steps as the gimbal cycles up and down?
-Mavic flying at safe altitude, stationary and stabilized, camera in cinematic mode, apply full rudder to perform a 360, do you see any stuttering or steps as it completes the circle?
-Playback of a flight with the SD card still in the Mavic, in other words, over the radio link, shows stuttering every now and then.
I get that on the M8 FHD (Everything disabled, wifi off, airplane mode, all other apps flushed out of memory)
It is otherwise fully functional and if I fly SUPER-GENTLY and in cinematic mode, I can fly almost without any stutter at all.
Anything crazy and outside of cinematic will give me a jerky feed....

I'm sorry but i'm the wrong guy to ask to do the tests. I take care of a bed ridden elderly person so it's rare that I can actually go out much at all anymore. It might be 2 weeks or a month or more before I can go out again. I can say that I didn't notice any stuttering or any kind of problems the last time I was out but I wasn't exactly paying detail to that too much.. I did see someone else post with this tablet that they had to remove a certain crosshair view to have it completely stutter free but I don't use them any way so it wasn't an issue for me. That crosshair thingy might do the trick for your M8? I know there are a few in the forum that use this tablet and I've not heard of any issues. Maybe they can do the tests or chime in further.

Edit: Out of the three options for crosshairs I think it was the middle option in the settings and if that specific one was not used, the stuttering stopped. It may have been for the M8 that I read that also so give it a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: TurboMini
So....I have been researching a "monitor" for the MA2 that will work.

I have run my iPad 5th gen a bunch this past week and the screen brightness was a pain. I could do "offline maps" in Google and that solved one issue so I figured I would give another thing a try.

From looking at various posts, I decided to get the Asus Zenpad z8s a try.

It is an 8" tablet and although it is Verizon branded it actually runs very well.

Still figuring it out but on my initial tests it works. The TRUE test will be tomorrow when I take it out in the daytime!

Fo figure.. my redmi note 9 works .. my galaxy tab 8 2019 am t290 usa does not..
My onn 8" works fine .

EDIT: i just upgraded the tablet to the android 10 and it does work now video shows fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaneb50
Another here using the Asus Zenpad Z8S. Works perfectly with DJI FLY and the Mini 2, no stuttering. I only wish it was brighter, but after flying for a bit and your eyes get accustomed it's ok.

Fo figure.. my redmi note 9 works .. my galaxy tab 8 2019 am t290 usa does not..
My onn 8" works fine .

EDIT: i just upgraded the tablet to the android 10 and it does work now video shows fine.

My onn 8 tablet also works pretty good so far. I was surprised that it would work [emoji106][emoji846]

My onn 8" works fine .
Anything thats 2018 and up should work. Just needs to be 64vbit. I use my samsung tab s5e because the larger screen but my samsung Note 10 plus, Note 9 and note 8 from 2017 work great

Last edited:
So no stuttering, nothing on the ASUS? If you find the time to perform the following test, I would really appreciate it:
-Mavic powered up, resting on something (log, or any support), move the gimbal up and down rapidly, does the image feed stutter, do you see steps as the gimbal cycles up and down?
-Mavic flying at safe altitude, stationary and stabilized, camera in cinematic mode, apply full rudder to perform a 360, do you see any stuttering or steps as it completes the circle?
-Playback of a flight with the SD card still in the Mavic, in other words, over the radio link, shows stuttering every now and then.
I get that on the M8 FHD (Everything disabled, wifi off, airplane mode, all other apps flushed out of memory)
It is otherwise fully functional and if I fly SUPER-GENTLY and in cinematic mode, I can fly almost without any stutter at all.
Anything crazy and outside of cinematic will give me a jerky feed....
Resting on a table? No. In sport mode in the air ? Yes when it reaches its gimbal limits

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag