DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confirmed and stable android tablet with Fly app

Sweet, thanks for chiming in Ger! I did not mean signal related break ups or range issues, rather, the video feed on the tablet in the Fly App. without even taking off. Just 5 feet away. With the higher spec Lenovo, I get the stutter simply moving the gimbal up and down just sitting on the table, or moving the drone by hand left and right, even slowly, the video feed has little jerkiness here and there. It stutters and lags then catches up again. So does the recording on the SD card in the drone...
For a moment, I thought maybe the Fly app might be more optimized for Qualcomm processors than Mediatek. A tablet with much higher specs chokes, meanwhile a $ 70 Walmart tablet is also reported to work too:
onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com

The Walmart tablet (ONN brand) is also a MediaTek processor.... Go figure. There goes my Qualcomm theory...

I think DJI needs to be a little more proactive on this front and do some testing to tell us what will work and what will not (Other than IOS devices which I will never spend my money on even if you put a gun to my head).

The minute Litchi is up and running properly on Android, I am jumping ship, sick and tired of the game DJI is playing with their apps. We should not be forced to buy an IOS product to enjoy the Mini. Or have to scourge the Internet for hours on end to find out what Android tablet will work 100% with this drone. Such a frustrating experience. Shame because it is such a cool little drone, super easy to carry, good camera, decent endurance... They just don't bother with Android. It's all IPoop devices in priority, as usual.
Ipoop lol. I hear you. I'm running mine just fine with my old galaxy s7. Couldn't justify spending more on a new device that cost more than the mini was to buy.

Reactions: TurboMini
My S5e works great. My Note 8 works perfectly. Hope my new Note 20 works well. But I have no problems on my Mavic 2 Pro or my Air 2. Everything is perfect. Connection cables have been the bigger problem. Some just don't have the bandwidth to handle the data rate.
You make a good point Gajman, we are stuck with digging up a proper cable.
My S5e works great. My Note 8 works perfectly. Hope my new Note 20 works well. But I have no problems on my Mavic 2 Pro or my Air 2. Everything is perfect. Connection cables have been the bigger problem. Some just don't have the bandwidth to handle the data rate.
That is a good point Gajman, we are at the mercy of whatever we can find on Amazeballz as far as cables are concerned, we all know how reliable the descriptions can be. I got the Cable Creation cable FloridaPete mentions worked well with the Walmart tablet.... CableCreation 2 Pack Short Micro USB to Micro USB OTG Cable, Male to Male, Compatible DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black: Amazon.ca: Electronics
I figured if it worked on the sub $100 ONN8 tablet, it would kick some butt on the Lenovo M8 FHD... Not so much.... I guess we need to dig up a good reliable source for quality USB cables.
The search continues!

Last edited:
You got me thinking with this cable thing.... So I dug up the cable that came with the Mavic Mini. Though it is too short, I figured I would test it on the Lenovo M8 FHD right on the table without the tablet support thingy.... Fired up the app..... Tested the gimbal wheel on the remote up and down : Smooth as silk.... Held the mini, moved it around with my hand like an F16 in a dog fight..... Smooth as silk. NO MORE LAG. NO MORE STUTTER.... OMG...... How many people do you think had bad experiences with Android tablets because they were using a dubious USB cable??? Gajman for President in November! Thanks buddy! Sometimes it boils down to basics. Lesson learned!!! I owe you a huge beer!

Reactions: Tufargon
So I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A to use with my Mavic Mini. It seems to work fine for me. I am curious though about updating to the latest version of the Fly app. I had to install the app directly from the DJI site since the tablet is unsupported in the Play Store. Is it possible to update the app without having to uninstall the old version and reinstall the new one? Will I lose all of my flight data if I do this? Thanks in advance.

You got me thinking with this cable thing.... So I dug up the cable that came with the Mavic Mini. Though it is too short, I figured I would test it on the Lenovo M8 FHD right on the table without the tablet support thingy.... Fired up the app..... Tested the gimbal wheel on the remote up and down : Smooth as silk.... Held the mini, moved it around with my hand like an F16 in a dog fight..... Smooth as silk. NO MORE LAG. NO MORE STUTTER.... OMG...... How many people do you think had bad experiences with Android tablets because they were using a dubious USB cable??? Gajman for President in November! Thanks buddy! Sometimes it boils down to basics. Lesson learned!!! I owe you a huge beer!
That Lenovo looks just the right size like I would like and the price is good too. Have you had a chance to go out and fly to test it since? I'd like to know how it's working with the Fly app because if it has no issues I'll likely buy it. My MA2 got here yesterday and I have nothing to fly it with since my phone and Nvidia Shield K1 are not compatible. Looks like I need to sell the Shield.

That Lenovo looks just the right size like I would like and the price is good too. Have you had a chance to go out and fly to test it since? I'd like to know how it's working with the Fly app because if it has no issues I'll likely buy it. My MA2 got here yesterday and I have nothing to fly it with since my phone and Nvidia Shield K1 are not compatible. Looks like I need to sell the Shield.
Hi Tufargon, I ordered a new USB cable, it arrives tomorrow. I will test it as soon as it arrives. ***Do not buy this cable***:
The new one I am testing tomorrow is this one:
I hope it is a better quality cable, it is after all triple the price, but if it works, a cheap solution to go IOS free.
I will report back tomorrow.
The Lenovo tablet is really slick, has almost no bloatware, the screen is very decent, the picture quality is awesome when the feed is not stuttering. Battery life seems OK too. My first flight, I burned through a full mini battery, 26 minutes. I had 97% left on the tablet. And I had left the wifi on by mistake (Apparently it is good practice to set the tablet to Airplane mode for max range with the remote)

Hi Tufargon, I ordered a new USB cable, it arrives tomorrow. I will test it as soon as it arrives. ***Do not buy this cable***:
The new one I am testing tomorrow is this one:
I hope it is a better quality cable, it is after all triple the price, but if it works, a cheap solution to go IOS free.
I will report back tomorrow.
The Lenovo tablet is really slick, has almost no bloatware, the screen is very decent, the picture quality is awesome when the feed is not stuttering. Battery life seems OK too. My first flight, I burned through a full mini battery, 26 minutes. I had 97% left on the tablet. And I had left the wifi on by mistake (Apparently it is good practice to set the tablet to Airplane mode for max range with the remote)
Thank you! I really appreciate it!!
I''ll wait to hear your findings.

I have the Lenovo FHD 8 and it works great. I've never had any problem whatsoever with it. No stuttering, no lag, no crashes. It works exactly as it should.

I use this cable:

My only complaint about the cable is that it isn't marked as to which end is the host side. Not a real problem, though. Once I figured it out, I used a paint pen to mark it.

I have the Lenovo FHD 8 and it works great. I've never had any problem whatsoever with it. No stuttering, no lag, no crashes. It works exactly as it should.

I use this cable:

My only complaint about the cable is that it isn't marked as to which end is the host side. Not a real problem, though. Once I figured it out, I used a paint pen to mark it.
Thanks for this. Looking like this might be the tablet for me.

Reactions: LifesShort
I recently bought a Lenovo FHD 8 and have flown it a dozen times with zero problems. It fits nicely and firmly in the control holding arms. It seems to work great. It really is a good little tablet. And not very expensive. Found a code for a small discount online...( EXTRAFIVE )... and bought it from the lenovo website, cost be about $130 to my door. 5 days to arrive.

I used this cable from Amazon to connect to controller.

Tablet...

I recently bought a Lenovo FHD 8 and have flown it a dozen times with zero problems. It fits nicely and firmly in the control holding arms. It seems to work great. It really is a good little tablet. And not very expensive. Found a code for a small discount online...( EXTRAFIVE )... and bought it from the lenovo website, cost be about $130 to my door. 5 days to arrive.

I used this cable from Amazon to connect to controller.

Tablet...

That price is just perfect. I ordered it. Thank you! Mine came to $128.29 shipped with the coupon code you mentioned. More beer money for me lol.

Cheers TurboMini and thank you as well. I'm just in a hurry to get all this so I can take the MA2 on her maiden flight. Should be way different than the Autel X Star Premium that I've been flying for the past 5 years.

Confirmed. LENOVO M8 FHD + this cable: 100% functional, no stuttering:

Couple of quick notes:
-Avoid installing too much stuff on you Lenovo, install the apps you need on your phone rather (Weather apps, drone maps, etc....). Every app you install eats away at the available RAM
-Enable developer mode, set your USB port to PTP if you experience any issues
-Before you fly, start the FLY App, click on the map, zoom in and out of the area you will be flying in, pan the map up and down, left and right to cover the approximate area you want to buzz around in, this will cache the map for offline use. You can use your mobile phone as an access point.
-Minimize the app, kill the WIFI, set the tablet to AIRPLANE MODE
-Kill the wifi on your phone too. If you can live with being temporary incommunicado, set your phone to airplane mode as well, this way, the only transmitter/receiver on you is the DJI Remote control
-Don't forget to hit record and go fly.
Now that DJI released the SDK for the Mavic Mini, there are few third party apps that can handle the Mavic Mini worth looking at:
-LITCHI: Can do follow me, waypoints, etc... In beta mode for Android at the moment but it will evolve quickly
-Drone link: Cloud based, very powerful, can do advanced flight plans, mapping etc...
-Red Wapoint Pro: Kinda like Litchi.
And more are popping out. The MAVIC Mini becomes a way more powerful little beast thanks to third party apps. No more waiting for DJI updates that will note come.... Granted they are not free but having waypoints on your MAVIC Mini, that's like Mastercard, priceless!
Enjoy guys!

Confirmed. LENOVO M8 FHD + this cable: 100% functional, no stuttering:

Couple of quick notes:
-Avoid installing too much stuff on you Lenovo, install the apps you need on your phone rather (Weather apps, drone maps, etc....). Every app you install eats away at the available RAM
-Enable developer mode, set your USB port to PTP if you experience any issues
-Before you fly, start the FLY App, click on the map, zoom in and out of the area you will be flying in, pan the map up and down, left and right to cover the approximate area you want to buzz around in, this will cache the map for offline use. You can use your mobile phone as an access point.
-Minimize the app, kill the WIFI, set the tablet to AIRPLANE MODE
-Kill the wifi on your phone too. If you can live with being temporary incommunicado, set your phone to airplane mode as well, this way, the only transmitter/receiver on you is the DJI Remote control
-Don't forget to hit record and go fly.
Now that DJI released the SDK for the Mavic Mini, there are few third party apps that can handle the Mavic Mini worth looking at:
-LITCHI: Can do follow me, waypoints, etc... In beta mode for Android at the moment but it will evolve quickly
-Drone link: Cloud based, very powerful, can do advanced flight plans, mapping etc...
-Red Wapoint Pro: Kinda like Litchi.
And more are popping out. The MAVIC Mini becomes a way more powerful little beast thanks to third party apps. No more waiting for DJI updates that will note come.... Granted they are not free but having waypoints on your MAVIC Mini, that's like Mastercard, priceless!
Enjoy guys!
Great job guys figuring out how to use an Android tablet with our Mini's. Can someone direct me how to buy this cable in the US? Seems i can't buy and have it shipped here. Going to do more searching to see if it's available in the USA. Thanks in advance for any leads!

Great job guys figuring out how to use an Android tablet with our Mini's. Can someone direct me how to buy this cable in the US? Seems i can't buy and have it shipped here. Going to do more searching to see if it's available in the USA. Thanks in advance for any leads!

I have a Lenovo FHD 8 and I use this cable:

Never had a problem with it.

I got my Lenovo M8 FHD a couple days ago and the cable but now I have to wait for the controller adapter. I should have known better that you guys were talking about the MM RC and not the MA2 RC. DOH!!
The tablet installed and ran the Fly app with no probs. I haven't tried to connect everything as I'm waiting to have it all setup and ready to go fly before I do anything more.

Created this thread so we can get a list of stable and confirmed android tablets that will work with the fly app.
So if you can post up what works for you, it will greatly help out the community.
Thanks everyone, and fly safe!
HI... New Mavic Air 2 pilot. 3-flights under my belt. Using a Samsung Tab A, tablet dedicated to my drone flying. It is 8 inch and works fine so far. My frustrating issue is finding a 11--12 inch cable that WORKS. I have purchased 5 of them so far and none worked. Reverting back to my DJI supplied short cable works fine, although, I have to shift my tablet way to the left for the cable to plug into the Samsung. Now the MA2 takes a USB-C correct? My Samsung Tab A uses a USB MicroB. Anyone have any suggestions where I could purchase one that works? Does DJI sell this variety? Thanks a lot.

HI... New Mavic Air 2 pilot. 3-flights under my belt. Using a Samsung Tab A, tablet dedicated to my drone flying. It is 8 inch and works fine so far. My frustrating issue is finding a 11--12 inch cable that WORKS. I have purchased 5 of them so far and none worked. Reverting back to my DJI supplied short cable works fine, although, I have to shift my tablet way to the left for the cable to plug into the Samsung. Now the MA2 takes a USB-C correct? My Samsung Tab A uses a USB MicroB. Anyone have any suggestions where I could purchase one that works? Does DJI sell this variety? Thanks a lot.
It's tricky to find the right cable. They need to be OTG enabled, properly shielded (read a thicker cable than normal) and the right length.

I can get this one in Canada via amazon, 12 inches long:

Here is the US Amazon link for the same one:

Good luck.

It's tricky to find the right cable. They need to be OTG enabled, properly shielded (read a thicker cable than normal) and the right length.

I can get this one in Canada via amazon, 12 inches long:

Here is the US Amazon link for the same one:

Good luck.
Thanks very much for the link. I will order that one to try. In the meantime, I did find one that works finally but it is 3' long. I'll order the one from your link also because it would be good to have a shorter cable with the right angle connectors. Thanks again. Here is the one I bought.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929