DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confirmed and stable android tablet with Fly app

Thanks very much for the link. I will order that one to try. In the meantime, I did find one that works finally but it is 3' long. I'll order the one from your link also because it would be good to have a shorter cable with the right angle connectors. Thanks again. Here is the one I bought.

Actually, the 3 foot cable is good to have too if you want to fly with VR goggles, dirt cheap, put your phone in them and you can FPV your mini. There is an Aussie dude explaining how to do it, you need the Litchi app but it could be a cool thing to do:

Reactions: RocketmanTurbo
So I know it's not a tablet, but my Galaxy J3 Star phone won't load the fly app. It'll load the dji go4 app.
It's running android 8, 64 bit architecture. I hate to see people drop good money on a tablet where the specs are all good and not have it work. Some of these folks are still waiting to get their mini so if we can provide a confirmed list that would be great.
Another not-listed Android phone that works with the DJI Fly app is the Essential Phone. It's running Android 10, has 4GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage. I've had no problems with it.

Reactions: TurboMini
Really wish I would have done a little more research before purchasing a tablet I thought would work. I just purchased a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) (SM T-510) and even though it has 3 GB of RAM(according to the Costco website I purchased it at), is running 64 bit processor (Exnyos 7904) and 64 bit android (ARMV8L) it doesn't work.

The app is not available for download from the Google Play store, and is not able to complete installation when trying to sideload. Now that I read more about this tablet on this forum, I see it isn't compatible. I've seen mixed reviews on wether or not the smaller version of this tablet (Tab A 8.0 SM T-290) works or not.

I will be running it with my Mavic Air 2, looking for any help. I am not interested in getting into the world of Apple infrastructure and I am already heavily invested in the Android (specifically Galaxy) world.

I have seen plenty of posts here saying the 8" Lenovo Tab M8 FHD works, but the real question is will the Tab M10 (gen 2) work for the DJI FLY APP? I have also seen several posts saying the Galaxy Tab S6 lite would work, and if this is the case I would be open to that as a possibility.

Really wish I would have done a little more research before purchasing a tablet I thought would work. I just purchased a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) (SM T-510) and even though it has 3 GB of RAM(according to the Costco website I purchased it at), is running 64 bit processor (Exnyos 7904) and 64 bit android (ARMV8L) it doesn't work.

The app is not available for download from the Google Play store, and is not able to complete installation when trying to sideload. Now that I read more about this tablet on this forum, I see it isn't compatible. I've seen mixed reviews on wether or not the smaller version of this tablet (Tab A 8.0 SM T-290) works or not.

I will be running it with my Mavic Air 2, looking for any help. I am not interested in getting into the world of Apple infrastructure and I am already heavily invested in the Android (specifically Galaxy) world.

I have seen plenty of posts here saying the 8" Lenovo Tab M8 FHD works, but the real question is will the Tab M10 (gen 2) work for the DJI FLY APP? I have also seen several posts saying the Galaxy Tab S6 lite would work, and if this is the case I would be open to that as a possibility.
The Tab M8 FHD does work but it doesn't have a compass. I went with the Asus ZenPad Z8s (Verizon version).

Reactions: CJS10mm
The Tab M8 FHD does work but it doesn't have a compass. I went with the Asus ZenPad Z8s (Verizon version).
That's one thing I've been conflicted on, I've heard people argue that the app uses the compass in the drone to resolve bearing accuracy between the drone and remote.

That's one thing I've been conflicted on, I've heard people argue that the app uses the compass in the drone to resolve bearing accuracy between the drone and remote.
It does. The bottom middle function in the fly app.

The problem I am having now is trying to justify buying a tablet from 2017 that is used. I'd rather have a newer tablet that meets all the requirements of the app, which I still don't understand how my Tab A 10 doesn't. Maybe there is some.magical formula I'm missing...

It does. The bottom middle function in the fly app.
I know that it displays the direction to the drone on the app, I've seen it myself and read it plenty of times. The thing I was talking about is several users are using devices without a compass and say they still have the bearing on their fly app.

I know that it displays the direction to the drone on the app, I've seen it myself and read it plenty of times. The thing I was talking about is several users are using devices without a compass and say they still have the bearing on their fly app.
Well, that function did not work for me with the Tab M8 FHD (so I returned it). The Asus ZenPad Z8s did work for me. Hope that helps.

Reactions: CJS10mm
The other good thing about the Asus is that it has a sim card slot for Verizon. I haven't tried it yet but I'm assuming I could take out the sim card out of my phone (which is Verizon) and put it in the tablet and not have to tether anymore. Wouldn't matter if I still had to but it seems like a nice option.

Well, if the Tablet doesn't have a built in compass, it will never work correctly! Here are the specs on the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 inch model......The 2019 model lists the specs of having a compass built-in. The 2016 version of that same model shows it does NOT have a built in compass. That's the bottom line on this model. I bought the Tab A 8 inch and then realized it had not built in compass. Upgraded to a new Samsung S4 Tablet, with the built in compass. Works fine and able to download the app from the PlayStore. It is 64bit and has enough built in memory. Seems those are the two important parameters.

Specs on the 10.5 inch 2019 Tab A:

I just got the Samsung Tab A8 2019 and it works flawless
On the samsung tab 8a 2019. Today when I started the drone and connected it to my tablet and the dji fly app. I just got a black screen no video transmission histogram was working and everything.

Then after about 20 seconds it connected and I flew up and took a photo and then when I switched back to video mode and flew my video was frozen again for 20 seconds and picked back up. The recordings were fine. I installed it and tried it again and same results.

I tried with my note 10+ amd not one issue.

So tried again with the tablet and same issue. I launched linchi and not one issue flew and transmitted perfectly? Any ideas?

Airplaine mode and wifi made no difference

Little update I returned the Samsung Tab a8 because of the huge lag I experienced. I currently use a Samsung Note 10+ but needed a bigger screen. I returned that Tab a8 and got a Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. This thing is quick if not as quick as my Note 10+ when running Litchi and DJI Fly.

Thanks for all the input and help @
CJS10mm

Not sure if it is officially speced, but but it seem Fly was intended to run only on devices with 4GB or more RAM installed. Google Play won't present Fly if your device doesn't have at least 4GB RAM. Many instead manually installed it by downloading the APK from DJI's website and got it to work with as little as 2GB.

The direction locator can show the drone's orientation (pointing away from you, towards you, etc) using only the stone's compass, but the app needs the device's compass to show the stone's orbit position around you.
Think of this:
You fly the drone straight out in front of you 500ft. You would expect the indicator to show it is in front of you. Now you, not the drone, turn right 90 degrees. Now the drone is to the left of you. How is the app to know this change without referring to a compass on the device? After all, only you moved by turning orientation.

Reactions: CJS10mm and ff22
Not sure if it is officially speced, but but it seem Fly was intended to run only on devices with 4GB or more RAM installed. Google Play won't present Fly if your device doesn't have at least 4GB RAM. Many instead manually installed it by downloading the APK from DJI's website and got it to work with as little as 2GB.

The direction locator can show the drone's orientation (pointing away from you, towards you, etc) using only the stone's compass, but the app needs the device's compass to show the stone's orbit position around you.
Think of this:
You fly the drone straight out in front of you 500ft. You would expect the indicator to show it is in front of you. Now you, not the drone, turn right 90 degrees. Now the drone is to the left of you. How is the app to know this change without referring to a compass on the device? After all, only you moved by turning orientation.
Good description of the process, other than "stone/s" instead of drone, I believe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929