DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confirmed and stable android tablet with Fly app

I have to say I had no success with the Tab A. It was also 8.0. Hmm. Anyway. This is a worthwhile thread. Everything seems to lean toward I-stuff.

I have to say I had no success with the Tab A. It was also 8.0. Hmm. Anyway. This is a worthwhile thread. Everything seems to lean toward I-stuff.
I just tried it again. I remembered that on the Fly app for the Air2 you can switch from HD (1080) to smooth (720) on the transmission tab to clean any slow glitch FPV video from the drone. This has made a vast improvement in the video feed to the tablet. I see no screen resolution degradation because the tablet screen is only 720 anyways. I will fly latter. Samsung Galaxy TabA 2019 SM-T290 U.S.A. Arm 64 bit Android 9, 2Gb
UPDATE 6/14/20: I was just out for a flight and there is a small amount of stutter but because I can use this low cost tablet the small video glitch is acceptable for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piecar
So, I am just looking on Amazon here. My problem with my PHONE was that I was still operating on a 32 bit system, and DJI FLY won't do it. I had to buy a 64 bit Samsung S7 to fly it. I have been told that 64bit means you need at least 4gigs ram to run it. The Galaxy tab A 8.0 on my screen is a 2gig thing. The same prob I had with the Galaxy Tab A I bought last year. I am a Luddite. That means there are nuances I am missing. But it seems to me that there are a number of factors to look at. Not just Brand and model.

My tab A sm-t290nzscxar works great after sideloading FLY

Interesting to know. Does it have a 64 bit operating system? What gigs of RAM?

Last edited:
I've got too much ADHD to do a lot of research beyond 4core cpu
It's running android 9 - 2gb ram 32gb storage 128gb Samsung evo sd card
it's specifically Samsung tab A (2019) 8" sm-t290nzscxar

I felt if it didn't work, I'd just buy a different 8" tablet

I've read several posts that fly could be sideloaded (never heard of that) - but I hate being beaten by a machine
Tomorrow, I'll do a shorter vid as server wouldn't upload today's vid
greg

All vids stored to sd card

THANX GER

Last edited:
Interesting to know. Does it have a 64 bit operating system? What goes of RAM?

Yes, it has 2 gigs Ram and a 64bit Qualcomm processor which handles the sideloaded Fly app from DJI. Apparently the EU model has a different chip so it has to be the SM-T290 model. I believe the difference is that the North American Qualcomm processor has a ARM8 (ARM 64) chip which is the deciding factor if a 64 bit processor works with the Fly app or not. Other DJI apps don't need the ARM 8/64 to run.

Here's some basic specs.
Galaxy SM-T290 Tab 8 specs.jpg

Reactions: Piecar and greg409
Thanks EWS. That small tidbit of info would have saved me a couple hunert bucks. DJI was not very helpful when I bought this thing in November.

Yes, it has 2 gigs Ram and a 64bit Qualcomm processor which handles the sideloaded Fly app from DJI. Apparently the EU model has a different chip so it has to be the SM-T290 model. I believe the difference is that the North American Qualcomm processor has a ARM8 (ARM 64) chip which is the deciding factor if a 64 bit processor works with the Fly app or not. Other DJI apps don't need the ARM 8/64 to run.

Here's some basic specs.
View attachment 105071
Thanx EYES
I knew it had snapdragon 429, But I didn't have the incentive to go look it up - since it works

There are 2 (I believe) variants of processors used in the Galaxy tab a - U.S. & europe

greg

I'm using an 8" tablet from Walmart (onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com)

with an 8" cable from Amazon ( CableCreation 2-Pack Micro USB Male to Male OTG Cable Compatible with DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black ).

DJI Fly is working well and the tablet just fits into the RC holders. The longer cable is not stretched at all and fits inside the Flymore case while still connected to the RC with no stress on the mini USB connector.

For transport, the tablet is smaller than the case so a rubber band will hold it well. Thinking of adding a waterproof pocket to the outside of the case to hold the tablet better.Mavic Mini Controller with 8 Inch Tablet 04 Over.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using an 8" tablet from Walmart (onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com)

with an 8" cable from Amazon ( CableCreation 2-Pack Micro USB Male to Male OTG Cable Compatible with DJI Spark and Mavic, PS4, Android Phone and Tablet, DAC and More,8 inch / 20CM, Black ).

DJI Fly is working well and the tablet just fits into the RC holders. The longer cable is not stretched at all and fits inside the Flymore case while still connected to the RC with no stress on the mini USB connector.

For transport, the tablet is smaller than the case so a rubber band will hold it well. Thinking of adding a waterproof pocket to the outside of the case to hold the tablet better.
dammit - my tab a was $129
I use a SKYREAT tablet mount for my 3 mavics
It is moveable to a certain extent, took a little getting used to, but can be easily adjusted, I like it alot
(not a sponsor, LOL)

Last edited:
Do you have any issue with the quick shots? I have been using a DL1023 with a mount and have had trouble with the quick shots. I've gotten the dronie to work like 40% of the time but the others are no go.
Reading up on the issue I suspect it's a processing/RAM limitation.

So I'm looking at options

Do you have any issue with the quick shots? I have been using a DL1023 with a mount and have had trouble with the quick shots. I've gotten the dronie to work like 40% of the time but the others are no go.
Reading up on the issue I suspect it's a processing/RAM limitation.

So I'm looking at options
If you're asking me, I haven't tried quickshots yet, too many trees around me
greg

I bought a Lenovo M8 FHD tablet, figuring since the specs are higher performance than the Samsung SM-T290NZKAXAC series.... It would work OK with the DJI Fly App...
That didn`t work. Only thing that was promising is that the app. showed up on google play, no need to side load....
With the MM sitting on a flat surface, moving the gimbal up and down with the remote, I see some stuttering, in flight, during rapid turns or any quick transitions, the feed stutters. Even when flying in Cinematic mode, with very gentle turns and transition, there is still some stuttering.

Here is a spec comparison between the two tablets:

Lenovo M8FHD Specs Tab M8 FHD (TB-8705F/TB-8705X- Type ZA5F-ZA5F0023US)
-WIFI only, no Cellular.
-MediaTek P22T Helio Octa Core 2.3 Ghz CPU
-3 geebeez ofLPDDR3
-Power VR GE8320 GPU
-1920 x 1200 Full HD resolution
-350 nits
-64 bit CPU and 64 bit OS confirmed

Samsung Tab A8 Specs:
-WIFI only, no Cellular.
-Qualcomm Snapdragon Quad Core 429 at 2.0 Ghz (Less)
-2 GBs of RAM type unknown (Less)
-Adreno 504 GPU (?)
-1280 x 800 resolution
-??? Nits?

So it begs the question, how come the Lenovo, with superior specs stutters?
A few people here have reported that the SAMSUNG SM-T290NZ series work great...
But the question is, do they work 100% flawlessly??? No stutter at all?
I have doubts now. Some have reported stuttering with the Samsung too...

Anybody with 100% no stutter on the SM-T290NZ, even after the new update to the DJI Fly App.1.1.6?

For transport, the tablet is smaller than the case so a rubber band will hold it well. Thinking of adding a waterproof pocket to the outside of the case to hold the tablet better.View attachment 105233
Hi Florida Pete!
When you say it works, is it 100% stutter free for the video feed or do you experience some stuttering or app crashes here and there?

I bought a Lenovo M8 FHD tablet, figuring since the specs are higher performance than the Samsung SM-T290NZKAXAC series.... It would work OK with the DJI Fly App...
That didn`t work. Only thing that was promising is that the app. showed up on google play, no need to side load....
With the MM sitting on a flat surface, moving the gimbal up and down with the remote, I see some stuttering, in flight, during rapid turns or any quick transitions, the feed stutters. Even when flying in Cinematic mode, with very gentle turns and transition, there is still some stuttering.

Here is a spec comparison between the two tablets:

Lenovo M8FHD Specs Tab M8 FHD (TB-8705F/TB-8705X- Type ZA5F-ZA5F0023US)
-WIFI only, no Cellular.
-MediaTek P22T Helio Octa Core 2.3 Ghz CPU
-3 geebeez ofLPDDR3
-Power VR GE8320 GPU
-1920 x 1200 Full HD resolution
-350 nits
-64 bit CPU and 64 bit OS confirmed

Samsung Tab A8 Specs:
-WIFI only, no Cellular.
-Qualcomm Snapdragon Quad Core 429 at 2.0 Ghz (Less)
-2 GBs of RAM type unknown (Less)
-Adreno 504 GPU (?)
-1280 x 800 resolution
-??? Nits?

So it begs the question, how come the Lenovo, with superior specs stutters?
A few people here have reported that the SAMSUNG SM-T290NZ series work great...
But the question is, do they work 100% flawlessly??? No stutter at all?
I have doubts now. Some have reported stuttering with the Samsung too...

Anybody with 100% no stutter on the SM-T290NZ, even after the new update to the DJI Fly App.1.1.6?
I never had any stuttering with mine flying out to at least 1 km while sitting in my vehicle. I haven't used it since the new update but I don't know why that would make a difference. It works quite well for only having 2 gigs of ram or probably closer to 1 gig once you turn it on. Not the brightest tablet but cheap and great battery life.

Reactions: TurboMini
I never had any stuttering with mine flying out to at least 1 km while sitting in my vehicle. I haven't used it since the new update but I don't know why that would make a difference. It works quite well for only having 2 gigs of ram or probably closer to 1 gig once you turn it on. Not the brightest tablet but cheap and great battery life.
Sweet, thanks for chiming in Ger! I did not mean signal related break ups or range issues, rather, the video feed on the tablet in the Fly App. without even taking off. Just 5 feet away. With the higher spec Lenovo, I get the stutter simply moving the gimbal up and down just sitting on the table, or moving the drone by hand left and right, even slowly, the video feed has little jerkiness here and there. It stutters and lags then catches up again. So does the recording on the SD card in the drone...
For a moment, I thought maybe the Fly app might be more optimized for Qualcomm processors than Mediatek. A tablet with much higher specs chokes, meanwhile a $ 70 Walmart tablet is also reported to work too:
onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com

The Walmart tablet (ONN brand) is also a MediaTek processor.... Go figure. There goes my Qualcomm theory...

I think DJI needs to be a little more proactive on this front and do some testing to tell us what will work and what will not (Other than IOS devices which I will never spend my money on even if you put a gun to my head).

The minute Litchi is up and running properly on Android, I am jumping ship, sick and tired of the game DJI is playing with their apps. We should not be forced to buy an IOS product to enjoy the Mini. Or have to scourge the Internet for hours on end to find out what Android tablet will work 100% with this drone. Such a frustrating experience. Shame because it is such a cool little drone, super easy to carry, good camera, decent endurance... They just don't bother with Android. It's all IPoop devices in priority, as usual.

Sweet, thanks for chiming in Ger! I did not mean signal related break ups or range issues, rather, the video feed on the tablet in the Fly App. without even taking off. Just 5 feet away. With the higher spec Lenovo, I get the stutter simply moving the gimbal up and down just sitting on the table, or moving the drone by hand left and right, even slowly, the video feed has little jerkiness here and there. It stutters and lags then catches up again. So does the recording on the SD card in the drone...
For a moment, I thought maybe the Fly app might be more optimized for Qualcomm processors than Mediatek. A tablet with much higher specs chokes, meanwhile a $ 70 Walmart tablet is also reported to work too:
onn. 8" Android Tablet, 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor, LCD Display - Walmart.com

The Walmart tablet (ONN brand) is also a MediaTek processor.... Go figure. There goes my Qualcomm theory...

I think DJI needs to be a little more proactive on this front and do some testing to tell us what will work and what will not (Other than IOS devices which I will never spend my money on even if you put a gun to my head).

The minute Litchi is up and running properly on Android, I am jumping ship, sick and tired of the game DJI is playing with their apps. We should not be forced to buy an IOS product to enjoy the Mini. Or have to scourge the Internet for hours on end to find out what Android tablet will work 100% with this drone. Such a frustrating experience. Shame because it is such a cool little drone, super easy to carry, good camera, decent endurance... They just don't bother with Android. It's all IPoop devices in priority, as usual.
My S5e works great. My Note 8 works perfectly. Hope my new Note 20 works well. But I have no problems on my Mavic 2 Pro or my Air 2. Everything is perfect. Connection cables have been the bigger problem. Some just don't have the bandwidth to handle the data rate.

Reactions: TurboMini
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom