DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused about FRZ

Chris Rees

Reactions
I have been flying for around 8 months now and was always under the impression that flying in a FRZ is totally forbidden. I have since been informed that I CAN if I fill in the appropriate CAA NATS form? Surely FRZ’s form part of the approach paths for airport runways so how can this be true? Hoping someone knowledgeable can help me. Thanks

the approach path will have different height restrictions depending on the distance to and from the runway so if you where given permission to fly then there would be various restriction's depending on the location of where you wanted to fly, the airspace around an airport is controlled airspace and as you say you would need to seek permission to fly in it ,of course that does not mean that your request will get the green light, and you would have to fulfill the criteria to get that permission

Reactions: Chris4koi
Thank you, so can you also clarify the difference between Class D airspace and Controlled Airspace (if any as I can’t find anything that’s clear by Googling it). I fly a Mini 2 therefore I know I don’t require permission to fly in Class D airspace but ATC at Bournemouth Airport tell me I do need permission to fly in Controlled Airspace. It’s so confusing?

Reactions: Chris4koi
Class D, C, B and A are all types of controlled airspace. You need permission to fly a drone in any of them. A goes up from 18,000 feet so you don't need to worry about it.

Class D, C, B and A are all types of controlled airspace. You need permission to fly a drone in any of them. A goes up from 18,000 feet so you don't need to worry about it.
So this is exactly my point, please read the NATS FAQ's on flying sub 20kg drones in Class D airspace. They are saying you don't need permission...

So this is exactly my point, please read the NATS FAQ's on flying sub 20kg drones in Class D airspace. They are saying you don't need permission...

Well, I'm in the US, and perhaps the rules are different for you. But airspace classification is pretty standard worldwide, and clearance is usually required for all aircraft is required in class D airspace. From the website you cite it looks like there is an exception for aircraft under 20 Kg. which is very surprising. Unless there is someone else from the UK here to give you advice, you might want to contact the NATS folks (Contact us - NATS) to ask them about the disconnect between what they say and what the controllers say.

@Chris Rees in the UK class A,C,D,E, airspace are all classed as controlled airspace class G is uncontrolled
basically all airspace over the UK is controlled with regards to what pilots of different types of aircraft, and pilot capabilities ie training for instrument flying or not etc, once you enter the airspace over and around the UK, then you flight is under the control of the CAA 's requirements for that flight ,when it comes to drones, then depending on where you are, will decide which airspace classification you will be flying under according to that specific location

@Chris Rees in the UK class A,C,D,E, airspace are all classed as controlled airspace class G is uncontrolled
basically all airspace over the UK is controlled with regards to what pilots of different types of aircraft, and pilot capabilities ie training for instrument flying or not etc, once you enter the airspace over and around the UK, then you flight is under the control of the CAA 's requirements for that flight ,when it comes to drones, then depending on where you are, will decide which airspace classification you will be flying under according to that specific location
Ah ok, thanks OMM got it now.

Reactions: old man mavic
sorry if my post was not up to the standard you require
once i get started on a subject
i just keep going
till i have finished
what i want to say
happy flying
yours OMM

Reactions: Chris Rees
Wow you are getting alsorts of answers. I live in Bournemouth and have spoken to Bournemouth air traffic control. You need permission to fly in the frz and you can get this by sending an email to [email protected] two week before flight, they will do it in less time but will moan about it. Then on the day of the flight you need to ring 01202 364150 before take off and after landing. As for D class airspace you do not need to ring to fly there I've had this confirmed by air traffic control Bournemouth. Drone assistant app at the Google store has the no fly area for the UK and is good for info. Download this it is very good.

Reactions: Chris Rees

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman