DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Confused on regulations for foreign pilots in Canada

bitsbytes

Reactions
I have some plans to fly the Mavic 3 in Canada, but I want to make sure that what I am doing is 100% legal before attempting it.
For context, I have had my FAA 107 and basic certificate for about a year, but was hesitant to fly there because I didn't know what the rules were.

As far as I can tell, I just need to apply for SFOC under 903.01(c) for foreign pilot, and that is the end of it, but some of the other items described on drone webpages didn't make sense, such as "Approved Canadian Ground School Certificate (TP 15263)"? I am not trying to do advanced operations, only basic ones. I don't think I need that based on my understanding of the rules.

Any help is appreciated.

It's not confusing if you look in the correct place. ;)

The short answer is - "Foreign pilots need to have a Canadian drone pilot certificate to apply for a SFOC-RPAS"

"As a foreign drone pilot, you need a Canadian drone pilot certificate to operate in Canada even if you are authorized in your home country."

I have filled out some of the form, however there is one thing I don't understand:1689254692085.pngIt asks for "Name" and "First name", that doesn't really make sense to me. How is that intended to be answered?

There is a difference between U. S. English and Canadian English when it comes to people's names. Name refers to surname/last last name and First Name is obvious.

Reactions: bitsbytes
I have filled out some of the form, however there is one thing I don't understand:View attachment 166096It asks for "Name" and "First name", that doesn't really make sense to me. How is that intended to be answered?
Have you already gone online and written the Basic Exam? No point in starting on the SFOC until you KNOW you have the Basic Certification.

Reactions: maggior
I have some plans to fly the Mavic 3 in Canada, but I want to make sure that what I am doing is 100% legal before attempting it.
For context, I have had my FAA 107 and basic certificate for about a year, but was hesitant to fly there because I didn't know what the rules were.

As far as I can tell, I just need to apply for SFOC under 903.01(c) for foreign pilot, and that is the end of it, but some of the other items described on drone webpages didn't make sense, such as "Approved Canadian Ground School Certificate (TP 15263)"? I am not trying to do advanced operations, only basic ones. I don't think I need that based on my understanding of the rules.

Any help is appreciated.
Yup, it's flat out rediculous and known for it. Canada is by far one of the least drone friendly countries in the world.

Yup, it's flat out rediculous and known for it. Canada is by far one of the least drone friendly countries in the world.
Go to Transport Canada 's website and figure it. If you got your P107 you can read and sort it out. You have to get your certificate for Canada, then apply for an SFOC-RPAS if you intend on flying any drone weighing more than 260 grams.
It walks you through. It's a literal pain in the butt. Good luck! I'm hear flying my drones from.the states. It was a major nightmare and totally not straight forward. Just do what I said I the first paragraph you'll be fine. The application for flight MUST be in 30 days prior to travel if you plan on flying anything above 250 grams.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown