DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Congress members warn that DJI drones 'register facial recognition data even when the system is off, and upload information to cloud storage'

Not bad for a nation run by those you call idiots. But it's not quite so simple as you suggest. There's not so much contrast between the US and the rest of the world. We're certainly better today that we have been.

When Castro Carazo and Huey P. Long wrote that song in 1935, Black people were routinely prevented from voting.

The US was founded with the idea that only White males who owned property could vote.

The US was one of the last nations to outlaw slavery.

Women weren't allowed to vote in the US until 1920.
My Father was born in the US in 1905. He was 43 when he was first allowed to legally vote in any election in his birth country. Served in the military, but because he was Native American, he was not granted the right to vote until 1948.

We can't compete! 12k for an EV that can run to Florida from NY on one charge.
That's too good to be true. It's about 930 miles from the Florida state line to the New York state line on I-95. Starting with a fully charged battery, three charging stops would be required.

"Instead, Woychowski said the entire car, which can go 252 miles (405 kilometers) per charge, is “an exercise in efficiency.”

Reactions: Meta4
That's too good to be true. It's about 930 miles from the Florida state line to the New York state line on I-95. Starting with a fully charged battery, three charging stops would be required.

"Instead, Woychowski said the entire car, which can go 252 miles (405 kilometers) per charge, is “an exercise in efficiency.”
I'm focused ;)

There’s no single miracle that explains how BYD can manufacture the Seagull for so little. Instead, Woychowski said the entire car, which can go 252 miles (405 kilometers) per charge, is “an exercise in efficiency.”

My Father was born in the US in 1905. He was 43 when he was first allowed to legally vote in any election in his birth country. Served in the military, but because he was Native American, he was not granted the right to vote until 1948.

This shocked me, I googled, and was floored. Probably others here also assumed Native Americans were full citizens going back to when each state was brought into the union.

I was disabused of that quaint notion when I learned about the Indian Citizenship Act which granted birthright citizenship to Native Americans in 1924. Nineteen twenty-four!!! What?!??!? Where's Harvey and Mike from Suits when you need 'em?

And even then, voting rights were left to individual states. Indian citizens in Arizona and New Mexico did not get the right until 1948, completing suffrage across the nation.

H/T to @Torque for mentioning this... I learned some important history I was never taught (and at 62, I was in school when history was still taught) nor made aware of.

Read about it here.

Reactions: Torque
This shocked me, I googled, and was floored. Probably others here also assumed Native Americans were full citizens going back to when each state was brought into the union.

I was disabused of that quaint notion when I learned about the Indian Citizenship Act which granted birthright citizenship to Native Americans in 1924. Nineteen twenty-four!!! What?!??!? Where's Harvey and Mike from Suits when you need 'em?

And even then, voting rights were left to individual states. Indian citizens in Arizona and New Mexico did not get the right until 1948, completing suffrage across the nation.

H/T to @Torque for mentioning this... I learned some important history I was never taught (and at 62, I was in school when history was still taught) nor made aware of.

Read about it here.
Want some more shock? Native Americans have recently been denied the right to vote because of a lack of a street address at their homes.

"In June 2014, 35 Native Americans in Rollette County, ND, were turned away from their polling place because they had only tribal ID cards, which were not considered valid IDs under state voting laws and did not include home address. About 1,200 Native American voters in the state were disenfranchised by the voter ID law, Campbell said."

And in Arizona last year:

"The new requirements would have made it impossible for many reservation voters to participate in elections because homes on tribal lands in Arizona lack a standard physical address far more often than off-reservation homes."

Reactions: AZDave and Torque
It's hard to know the basis of the claims being made. It's quite possible that there is miscommunication going on. For example, the phrase "even then turned off" may not mean "powered down" but merely "not actively recording", which is certainly technically feasible. There's no technical reason why a drone couldn't make a clandestine recording while you're flying it and then upload it when there's an opportunity.

But beyond that, it appears that Sandia National Labs has some reason to believe that there are security concerns (which are not necessarily related to the above statements). Asking for information on what those concerns doesn't seem particularly unreasonable to me.

Just like every smartphone on the planet then.
To be fair, there's a difference between a smartphone made by an ally vs. one made by an adversary.

Exactly where do you think smartphones are made?? It's not like they are put together there and the software loaded here.
It's not as much where they're made that matters, but rather who controls the hardware and software design.

And while it's true that many phones have traditionally been made in China, since the Chinese Communist Party started to extend its control a lot of companies have been pulling out. Samsung no longer makes phones in China, and Apple has been moving out parts of its production and supply chain as well. The CCPs overreach and its inept handling of COVID has scared off companies and contributed to China's economic woes.

It's not as much where they're made that matters, but rather who controls the hardware and software design.

And while it's true that many phones have traditionally been made in China, since the Chinese Communist Party started to extend its control a lot of companies have been pulling out. Samsung no longer makes phones in China, and Apple has been moving out parts of its production and supply chain as well. The CCPs overreach and its inept handling of COVID has scared off companies and contributed to China's economic woes.
The elephant in the room every one of these sage defenders of Liberty ignores is that even when tied to any kind of comms device, the drone has a provenly effective LDM function and the phone/tablet has the very effective 'airplane mode' toggle.

And what about the drones released after the 2018 hoo-hah? Independently scrutinized by world leading cyber security auditors (American and British) - and passed 'safe' after analysing over 20 million lines of proprietary code?

Then there were the Government Edition DJI drones and Pilot flight app that were even more locked down... It's like the US flavour RID: it has nothing to do with the data harvesting: it's down to WHO has sole access to the harvested data

The fact is that Apple still produces the great majority of their phones in China, and if China wants to hack the phones or install some hidden function they could do so. And while Apple and others would be able to discover what that is, there is literally nothing stopping anyone from reverse engineering DJI's code as well. My point is that the likelihood of EITHER smartphones or drones spying on America is roughly the same ... and highly unlikely. Routers that can be reconfigured from afar might be more troublesome.

I can fully understand why politicians wouldn't want the government reliant on anything from China, but that's a different story entirely.

Reactions: Meta4
The elephant in the room every one of these sage defenders of Liberty ignores is that even when tied to any kind of comms device, the drone has a provenly effective LDM function and the phone/tablet has the very effective 'airplane mode' toggle.

And you can bank on this and rest easy, if you believe both DJI and Apple are good faith actors with no secret mandate from the host government to tell us this while the technology has nefarious capabilities designed into it we don't know about.

I'm not saying this is the case with DJI. But I certainly don't trust DJI and China like I do Apple and the US.

Unlike some Here, I'm not dismissive of something the Intel community is concerned about, until I know more about it.

It's simply naive and foolish to tar and feather those guys for past mistakes (i.e. Iraq WMD). They will make mistakes again. they're human beings, working with often scant and contradictory information. Yet, it's imperative nonetheless they produce analysis and our leaders consider it, lest far worse things occur.

Last edited:
As a long time MAC user I only have one question for you:
What number are you using to contact APPLE?! lol ;)
It's not exactly a phone call as much as it is "call on" them because there is either an NSA official with an office in the Apple complex or Apple has an employee in a NSA office. ;)

Reactions: Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
perkki123