DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Congress members warn that DJI drones 'register facial recognition data even when the system is off, and upload information to cloud storage'

Do you believe in Compulsory Voting?

For this thread, some people have a strong opinion about the Bill currently before Congress. However, they don't want to put their name on letters and end up on a list that can be taken out of context or used against them one day, which is maybe one of the reason why they don't write a letter, send a email, or place a phone call to their congressperson.

If you don't want your name on a letter to a Senator claiming "DJI drones don't spy on American" in case we're being lied to and some drones are actually found to be spying right alongside the balloons...you can still be against the ban and do other things to try to stop it.

If you think not voting accomplishes something grand and effective, don't vote.

If you're afraid to sign a letter to an elected official, don't write letters.

But, please don't encourage others to do either. (Your name might be put on a database list, and it might be used against you one day.)

Reactions: okw and mavic3usa
Not voting when the activity in question is voting is NOT a "choice". Just as picking a lane while driving when the law requires it means straddling two lanes is NOT a choice. The choices are one lane or the other.

By "not voting" one is refusing to participate, not selecting one of the choices available to the participants in the process. An election considers only votes, not those that refuse to participate. To call this a "choice" is not rationally supportable.

By "not voting" one is refusing to participate, not selecting one of the choices available to the participants in the process. An election considers only votes, not those that refuse to participate. To call this a "choice" is not rationally supportable.
No one said anything about "refusing to participate." In fact, I said:
...you can still be against the ban and do other things to try to stop it.
Bottom line, it's my choice how I exercise my right to vote.

Not voting when the activity in question is voting is NOT a "choice". Just as picking a lane while driving when the law requires it means straddling two lanes is NOT a choice. The choices are one lane or the other.
The other choice in this example is stopping in the middle of one or both lanes; that's a choice and it has "power" too.

The other choice in this example is stopping in the middle of one or both lanes; that's a choice and it has "power" too.

If you're using that absurd analogy to support your decision not to vote, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

Yes, stopping in one of two lanes of a highway is indeed a choice. A foolish, irresponsible, self-centered, and dangerous choice that accomplishes nothing constructive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Refusing to make a choice in an election is irresponsible. One of the choices on the ballot is going to get elected, and have a real impact on the citizenry, including people each voter has in their lives that they care about.

Citing that "they're all equally bad" is just lazy. Refuse to participate in the process, and you're volunteering to be ruled by the rest of us. And us voters aren't particularly interested in your complaints or views if you're unwilling to do the hard work of really understanding which candidate you should hold your nose and vote for.

Let's try this a different way.

An election is held. The purpose is to select a person to fill a public office. Let's list the choices a voter has in making that selection.
  1. Fred
  2. Sue
  3. Jacob
  4. Going on vacation
  5. Relieving oneself on the sidewalk
  6. Filling in your 107 year old neighbor's ballot
  7. Suicide
This is not a complete list. There are many other choices you can make in connection with the election, if calling anything you do in reference to the election is a choice in the election.

Refusing to participate is not a "choice". It's refusing to make choice.

It strains reasoned language. One can not "not make a choice" and make a choice at the same time.

If the process does not include a choice of "none of the above", then one can't say they participated in our democracy and it's process by refusing to participate.

If you're using that absurd analogy to support your decision not to vote
I vote in each and every election. I may or may not vote on every candidate for every office but I vote because I'm a free American and it's my right and I do it by choice. This difference between me and others is I don't look down on people who don't vote.

This big election coming up with the two guys at the top, haven't decided yet. But you can be sure of one thing, I will not be sharing my thoughts on that particular race and my final decision of what I decide to do on this board. Whatever I do, it's an act of power, no matter how small and it will be felt, I assure you. Ok, so can we now get back on topic please?

Let's try this a different way.

An election is held. The purpose is to select a person to fill a public office. Let's list the choices a voter has in making that selection.
  1. Fred
  2. Sue
  3. Jacob
  4. Going on vacation
  5. Relieving oneself on the sidewalk
  6. Filling in your 107 year old neighbor's ballot
  7. Suicide
This is not a complete list. There are many other choices you can make in connection with the election, if calling anything you do in reference to the election is a choice in the election.

Refusing to participate is not a "choice". It's refusing to make choice.

It strains reasoned language. One can not "not make a choice" and make a choice at the same time.

If the process does not include a choice of "none of the above", then one can't say they participated in our democracy and it's process by refusing to participate.
Honestly, you can go to one of the two websites I posted and argue with them. None of that applies to me. I participant in government bigly so there's really nothing to discuss.

I don't look down on others that don't vote, but I do think they're behaving foolishly.

What don't do is give much of a care about what they think. I rule them. What I think matters.

If they don't like that, participate. If they are going to vote, I do care what they think, and want to influence them if I can.

Do you believe in Compulsory Voting?
No. Forcing someone to vote is just as bad as someone not participating.

However, they don't want to put their name on letters and end up on a list that can be taken out of context or used against them one day, which is maybe one of the reason why they don't write a letter, send a email, or place a phone call to their congressperson.

That's a level of unwarranted paranoia that I don't subscribe to.

If you don't want your name on a letter to a Senator claiming "DJI drones don't spy on American" in case we're being lied to and some drones are actually found to be spying right alongside the balloons...you can still be against the ban and do other things to try to stop it.
Back to the vague "other things"? I'm all for doing something. Just something real.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I find it strange that you guys live in a “democracy “ with way more than half the population choosing not to vote. Would the nation be different if you had +90% of population voting?

Reactions: Prop Wash
Forcing someone to vote is just as bad as someone not participating.
Australia seems to manage OK with it. You are required to case a vote. You can leave it blank, or spoil it, or actually vote, but you have to cast it.

They also don't have voting systems that force people to line up for hours to vote. Or much in the way of gerrymandering. They have electronic voting (unlike Canada) but voters always have the option of casting a paper ballot, and interestingly the voting machine software is publicly available and independently audited so accusations of tampering don't seem to be a thing.

Reactions: Zbip57
Our electronic voting only used once now back to ballot boxes. But, usually only a 10 minute lineup

They have electronic voting (unlike Canada) but voters always have the option of casting a paper ballot,
The rest of your post is correct but Australia doesn't have electronic voting.
What you've linked is from ACT (Australian Capital Territory) for their local elections for an area with a population of less than half a million.
The ACT is a small part of Australia surrounding the national capital, something like Washington DC is not the USA.

Our electronic voting only used once now back to ballot boxes. But, usually only a 10 minute lineup
Since we implemented early voting, I haven't had to wait more than a few minutes to vote in the last few elections. But, voter apathy is a problem here.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Yep, I always take that option on the way home from work

Reactions: anotherlab
The system is not perfect and often there are consequences even if you do things in good faith. It's up to each individual to express their "power" the best way they know how, whatever they are comfortable with, what works for them and their families.
No system is perfect, but a system in which those in power are accountable to the populace beats all the other kinds, IMHO. Unfortunately, voter disengagement threatens such a system. Democracy has to be a choice of the citizens, in every election.

Anyone who thinks abstaining is just going to result in more status quo needs to Google Project 2025.

^Sounds like a lot of passion regarding "voter disengagement" which I prefer to call it voter apathy or voter fatigue or maybe even voter alienation which is likely a more accurate picture which is truly happening. That's fine, I hope everyone has as much passion about a bigger threat "voter suppression" and please express those thoughts here if you have them; thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reejhman singh