DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Connection lost...

By-tor

Reactions
Was out for the 3rd time with my 3 Pro and had just completed a flight where I ventured out 2200' away @200' up (my longest yet). I changed batteries and put it back up and was only about 300' away when I lost connection to the drone and the RC controller screen went B&W and I couldn't do anything. I went into panic mode right away and then return to home brought it back like a champ... That is such a cool feature...

I sure hope this is not going to try my old heart with more of these. LOL

It never regained connection again until I turned off both the drone and controller and restarted them..

It almost caused me to soil my shorts...

Was that the DJI RC or DJI Fly running on a phone or tablet?

The former worries me more.

Was the app still responsive, or was the RC completely dead?

The B&W is normal behavior when signal it lost. Why in this case is troubling too, but this would be the first report of an outright crash of the Android system running on the RC. (that I've seen)

Controller was dead...

I could do nothing but watch and wait to see if RTH worked and it came through like a champ.

I contacted DJI about the controller locking up/crashing and was told it was due to the strong wind warning I got just prior to it crashing.

I'm new to drones, but that just doesn't seem right that the controller would crash like that.

I contacted DJI about the controller locking up/crashing and was told it was due to the strong wind warning I got just prior to it crashing.

I'm new to drones, but that just doesn't seem right that the controller would crash like that.
No, it would not.

You've been the victim of DJI support, famous for utterly ridiculous explanations like that. Invoking Evil Spirits would have made more sense.

I told the person after he told me all of this that I just wanted to make sure I contacted them about this in case it persists and have a paper trail so to say..

I sure hope it doesn't happen again..

I told the person after he told me all of this that I just wanted to make sure I contacted them about this in case it persists and have a paper trail so to say..

I sure hope it doesn't happen again..
Call them back and tell them you forgot to mention the laughing visage of Beelzebub appeared after 30 seconds on the screen, and what's up with that, DJI?

Hahahaha...

I also emailed them and received a reply with trouble shooting steps and the following:

"We created an Online Replacement Request system to make the replacement process more accessible and more convenient. After filling out the Online forms you will receive a case number".

I want to fly it some more and see if I do need to replace the unit.

Hahahaha...

I also emailed them and received a reply with trouble shooting steps and the following:

"We created an Online Replacement Request system to make the replacement process more accessible and more convenient. After filling out the Online forms you will receive a case number".

Being serious, if they're going to replace it, do it.

I don't think anyone here's seen/heard of such a crash, which suggests strongly there may be some flaky hardware problem with yours.

Reactions: By-tor
Hahahaha...

Take up their offer and get a replacement unit. Waiting to see if it happens again is asking for trouble I would think. And if it doesn't happen until your warranty expires, then you've lost out.

Reactions: Dronecation
I had similar case in February. Well documented due to Screen recording.
DJI service replaced my new m3P without any problem and no cost.
I tried to ask them what was the reason, but they don't know or they don't want to say. The only answer was one electric motor had to be replaced.
Now I am scared to fly above water.

@Voy22 did you notice the ATTI warning before it lost signal? Wonder what that was about?

From what you said, sounds like it came back successfully via RTH on it's own, correct?

I haven't noticed ATTI warning during the flight. I noticed it afterwards watching recordings.
I haven't execute RTH, Since I had control over the drone I came back manually. I didn't know I will loose control totally. If I get another time b/w screen I will initiate RTH immediately. However if onboard computer is about to crash... a new command might crash the computer right away...?
I am disappointed with DJI they don't comment on this. Many pilots had the same problem.

I haven't noticed ATTI warning during the flight. I noticed it afterwards watching recordings.
I haven't execute RTH, Since I had control over the drone I came back manually. I didn't know I will loose control totally. If I get another time b/w screen I will initiate RTH immediately. However if onboard computer is about to crash... a new command might crash the computer right away...?
I am disappointed with DJI they don't comment on this. Many pilots had the same problem.
Download the TXT log file from that flight, upload it to @msinger's log decoder, then post the link to the result. There are half a dozen people here that can analyze it and maybe something will stand out.

Click on "log decoder" above to learn how to find and download the TXT log from your phone or DJI RC.

DJI's first line tech support people are not at all familiar with the products or how to use them. Their usual response to a tough question is to tell you to return the drone for service. In most cases, you're better off posing your question here. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum who are very generous with their time. They've been a great help to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag