DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering a purchase, testing a Spark now. How much of a difference?

yacoob

Reactions
Hello there, knowledgable people :)

I've recently got an idea to try aerial photography. No previous drone experience whatsoever, so I've started with my research. DJI lineup looked solid enough, I've started looking closer. My current sweet spot between cost and features is Mavic Air 2. At the same time, I've managed to borrow a DJI Spark from a friend, and I've flown my first very shakey flight today. Now, I understand that confidence comes with experience, but I'm curious, how much of a similarity should I expect between Spark and MA2? I'm primarily after things that are not obvious from plain spec comparison for a person new to the topic. For example, I had another flight where Spark decided that its compass is not responding all that well, switched to attitude mode and started dancing all around the place. I've ended up crashing into a wall at a knee height - but I can only imagine my panic if a thing like that would happen at high altitude or far away from me. The VLOS rule also seems to be a bit of challenge - I don't think I've gone out further than 60m, but it was already bit difficult to work out which direction the aircraft is facing.

In other words - I'm motivated by possiblities of photos and videos I could potentially make, but after that first flight also painfully aware that it'd be a slow iterative learning process, hopefully not paid in drones sacrificed to the gods of gravity and water. I'm about 80% convinced that I'd end up buying MA2, but I do wonder how much easier to handle it'd be for a novice.

Thanks for any perspective you can offer here!

Reactions: iamcostas
They are significantly different in many features. The Spark is known as a “selfi”
drone. In my experience with it (I still have and occasionally use it) It shines at close pics of people and things at family gatherings. The ability to control the Spark by hand signals is useful and fun, but not available on the MA2.
Still you can get some experience... but the MA2 will need to be learned.

Well, my spark doesn't get much flight time since I got the air 2.

And remember, if you were flying high there would have been no wall to crash into! :D

You will love the MA2, just about flies itself

And WELCOME to the forum!

• Haha
Reactions: NAVMAV and yacoob
And remember, if you were flying high there would have been no wall to crash into! :D
That is actually a very valid point :> So as long as I can negotiate the height with my anxiety, it should clear some obstacles. The downside here is that there's a city-wide controlled airspace, which clamps drones to 15m.

That is actually a very valid point :> So as long as I can negotiate the height with my anxiety, it should clear some obstacles. The downside here is that there's a city-wide controlled airspace, which clamps drones to 15m.
Really.. cant hardly clear the big bushes at that height.

Most of these guys are more drone knowledgeable than me, but the Spark is old technology and the MA2 is new technology. We all know how fast technology changes. The Air2 will be easy to fly. Read this forum and learn from the mistakes of others. Your 15m ceiling will make flying more dangerous though. Although a nice safety item, don’t rely too much on the sensors! Best wishes!

I had a Spark and upgraded to a Mavic 2 Zoom. I loved my Spark, and it was a tough little thing surviving several crashes.

The reasons I upgraded were primarily the old style transmission that didn't have a very good distance. The occusync on the Mavic was so much better and gave me confidence that the drone could be controlled within line of sight - something not always true on the Spark.

Secondly, the Spark only has a 2 axis gimbal. I have a lot of footage from the Spark that has a pronounced judder which is the drone trying to process the image to be smooth but not quite getting there. The 3 axis gimbal is so much better.

Great little drone, but things have moved on a lot now, so I wouldn't personally go for it.

I've not flown a MA2, but I'd imagine it handles as well as the Mavic 2 series (if not better) so the experience will be a positive one.

I'd most definitely find a big open space to practice in. Trees are my nemesis, so avoid them!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78