DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Considering Air, do you need cellular connection?

DaveC1964

Reactions
I am considering buying the Mavic Air. I plan to use a tablet with it and no phone. This means I have no internet connection. Will it still be useable? Will it lock you out due to no connection?

I also heard you need to go online and register with DJI. So if this can't be done in the future (they close server, get shut down, go out of business etc) and you want to use a different device (tablet breaks etc) does that mean the Air has just become a worthless brick? I am reluctant to buy a drone with online DRM that could lock you out of your own device.

Any info on this? Thanks.

You don't need an Internet connection in the field. You would need an Internet connection at some point before the flight if you want maps (optional), but they can be cached ahead of time.

You do need GPS on the tablet if you want to reset the home point in the middle of a flight or use GPS follow me mode. I would say both pretty rare things for most people. I've never done either.

You do need to sign in, but typically only once - unless you uninstall Go and reinstall. That's as of now. I would say there is little to no chance DJI will disappear during the lifetime of your drone.

You don't need an Internet connection in the field. You would need an Internet connection at some point before the flight if you want maps (optional), but they can be cached ahead of time.

You do need GPS on the tablet if you want to reset the home point in the middle of a flight or use GPS follow me mode. I would say both pretty rare things for most people. I've never done either.

You do need to sign in, but typically only once - unless you uninstall Go and reinstall. That's as of now. I would say there is little to no chance DJI will disappear during the lifetime of your drone.
Ok thanks. So there is no lock out due to not being able to detect NFZ etc? I would just like to be able to use the drone anytime anywhere and not have to "phone home" to DJI to ask permission.

Ok thanks. So there is no lock out due to not being able to detect NFZ etc? I would just like to be able to use the drone anytime anywhere and not have to "phone home" to DJI to ask permission.

Correct, the NFZ database is onboard.

You might need an Internet connection to unlock an NFZ (I've never had to do it), but you could do that ahead of time as well.

I usually fire up my drone before I leave to make sure I don't need to log in at some inopportune time. Never been a problem, but doesn't hurt to double check.

Be sure to get the ipad air 2 ... I don't have cellular on mine..... I just tether my phone to the ipad ... no issues. .. works great

Reactions: bronze661
Be sure to get the ipad air 2 ... I don't have cellular on mine..... I just tether my phone to the ipad ... no issues. .. works great
Hey guys, not quite hijacking the thread, my question is along the same lines???
If you get a wifi only Apple device, therefore no GPS, but tether or hotspot it to your phone (which does have gps) will you be able to change the HP to ME? (controller?)

but tether or hotspot it to your phone (which does have gps) will you be able to change the HP to ME? (controller?)
No. That requires GPS on your mobile device. Tethering will only share the Internet connection.

There is a Garmin product that will give your WiFi only device gps
Yes, that'll work. You can find some other commonly used Bluetooth GPS receivers here.

You do need to sign in, but typically only once - unless you uninstall Go and reinstall. That's as of now. I would say there is little to no chance DJI will disappear during the lifetime of your drone.[/QUOTE[/QUOT
I just got a mavic air. Do I need cellular data to get gps for the whole flight or could I just use wifi at the start then go out of range? At my house there is no cellular service but we do have wifi. Could I then set up the navigation system and go out of ALL internet range to fly with the gps.
I just got a mavic air. Do I need cellular data to get gps for the whole flight or could I just use wifi at the start then go out of range? At my house there is no cellular service but we do have wifi. Could I then set up the navigation system and go out of ALL internet range to fly with the gps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need cellular data to get gps
No. The Mavic Air uses GPS data from its internal GPS receiver. That'll also work in locations where you don't have cellular service and/or Wi-Fi.

I thought the mavic air didn't have GPS follow me and only a visual follow, correct me if I'm wrong

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa