DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constant compass calibration required

damo4runner

Reactions
Hi guys,

I am still getting the compass error before each new flight. I have been onto DJI tech support who got me to re do the firmware and reset the drone to factory specs. I even tried to reset the remote control to factory specs, however it failed to reset the controller each time.

After doing the reset and firmware flash on the drone I am still being asked to calibrate the compass before each flight in a new area (all within 5klms of each other). My Phantom 3 Advanced does not ask me to do this and flys perfectly. I have tried being away from all steel, powerlines, concrete etc.

I love the Air for the size and camera but I still enjoy the flight process of my Phantom over the Air. Is there anything I can do to stop the constant compass errors? Or am I going to have to escalate this problem with DJI?

Thanks for the reply, I started digging last night and it definitely looks to be that way. Plenty of other people with the same issue. I do live in a very southern location (Tasmania) and it is normally cold down here. Two things that could be playing a part in the problem, according to what I have managed to find.

Don't power it up around any metal, that has been my biggest problem. My truck, reinforced concrete, etc all for a compass error. If I get away from all metal, it doesn't occur.

Reactions: iAmLaG
MA is so sensitive with metals I wonder why? My p3p and spark solid connected even beside metal.

I have the same issue as well and it does suck but it's like part of my start up routine now. I do try to hold in the air when I start it up and it seems to work sometimes. After it starts and the back light blinks green I put it on the ground and take off. Maybe try that and see if it helps.

My Mavic Air doesn't want a compass calibration every time. But if I go more than a mile or so from where I flew last, it does. None of my other drones have ever complained about the compass. There's definitely a global issue with the MA compass. One can always hope a future update will fix it.

MA would have been a great portable drone if only DJI would correct this bug of bad connections especially with metals, Thats why Im not going for M2pro bec when things are not doing well with your drone, DJI will leave you behind unconcern and intruduce you with another new drone, then ending up buying alot of their drones which you will not be quit satisfied? One day their will be a better drone makers that will introduce better systems and support... Like what happen to Nikon and Canon, now their all lagging behind Sony and Fuji. also Iphone and samsung, Huawei is gaining well... I would Hope they take actions since nothing stays permanent in this Industry if only they do is for profit only!?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez