DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Constructive criticism of the video and ideas for improvement

Beautiful video but I was left wanting many of the individual shots to be longer with less chopping and changing, especially the orbits. But that is just my personal tastes.

Beautiful video but I was left wanting many of the individual shots to be longer with less chopping and changing, especially the orbits. But that is just my personal tastes.
I have tried to make the video very varied, without long scenes, not repeating too much the way of flying the drone and camera angle and trying that you can see the place, from almost all angles.

I think that if the video had long scenes, repeating more the way of flying the drone / camera angle, it would be a more boring video. But this is just my personal opinion

Thanks for your feedback!!

Reactions: maggior
Working on this video

I would appreciate any kind of idea, suggestion, details to improve or correct, ...etc. of the video. Feel free to comment!

Thank you for any help you can offer!
Discover Spain…very nice 👍. Beautiful shots that make me want to adventure the area and learn more of the history. My only criticism is, I would have liked to have viewed some of the shots longer instead of them being changed quickly to the music’s tempo. Great, but, I’d like to savour some of those fantastic shots a little longer.

Salud

YVRGUY 🇨🇦

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Discover Spain…very nice 👍. Beautiful shots that make me want to adventure the area and learn more of the history. My only criticism is, I would have liked to have viewed some of the shots longer instead of them being changed quickly to the music’s tempo. Great, but, I’d like to savour some of those fantastic shots a little longer.

Salud

YVRGUY 🇨🇦

As this is the second comment I've received about the scenes being too short, if you tell me which scenes you like best in the video, I'll make them longer and remove the ones you don't choose.

Thanks!!

I think as drone enthusiasts we prefer seeing orbits and reveal shots to be drawn out. The target audience for something like this are not drone enthusiasts though.

I thought the length of the shots for the most part was perfect and I really liked how the scene transitions were mostly done on the transition of musical phrases and on strong beats. I try to do that myself. I think it ties everything together nicely.

A few of the shots I thought could have been shortened. Overall I think it is an excellent video with some really lovely shots. Great flying!!!

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
I think as drone enthusiasts we prefer seeing orbits and reveal shots to be drawn out. The target audience for something like this are not drone enthusiasts though.

I thought the length of the shots for the most part was perfect and I really liked how the scene transitions were mostly done on the transition of musical phrases and on strong beats. I try to do that myself. I think it ties everything together nicely.

A few of the shots I thought could have been shortened. Overall I think it is an excellent video with some really lovely shots. Great flying!!!

I don't see the drone as an objective in itself, but as an instrument, in this case, a camera that I can place and move as I wish. I've ended up getting bored of videos with epic music that are based on flying the drone very close to places, buildings, holes, ...etc. I used to do them some time ago but I guess tastes change, for better or worse.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I don't see the drone as an objective in itself, but as an instrument, in this case, a camera that I can place and move as I wish. I've ended up getting bored of videos with epic music that are based on flying the drone very close to places, buildings, holes, ...etc. I used to do them some time ago but I guess tastes change, for better or worse.

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Reading your response, I realize I didn't really finish the first thought I had. When I said "I think as drone enthusiasts we prefer...", I meant it as an explanation for why many commenting on a drone forum would prefer longer shots rather than shorter ones. I seemed to be going contrary to what everybody had said so far and I figure that's probably why :).

I think your video was tastefully done.

I agree, the clips are too short. More importantly, I couldn't find a story to your videos. As a suggestion, plan your entire flight story in advance so you don't jump around forwards and reverse. If there is a good story line to connect the clips the duration of each clip won't be so critical. Just adjust each clip length to what works at part of the story making sure the clips are long enough to allow the viewer to absorb the information before moving on with the video tour. If a clip doesn't fit the tour story, then cut it out. The subject matter is impressive but it needs and impressive story line for the viewer to appreciate it. Add some text elements could help alos.

Reading your response, I realize I didn't really finish the first thought I had. When I said "I think as drone enthusiasts we prefer...", I meant it as an explanation for why many commenting on a drone forum would prefer longer shots rather than shorter ones. I seemed to be going contrary to what everybody had said so far and I figure that's probably why :).

Understood

I think your video was tastefully done.

Thanks!!!

I agree, the clips are too short.

I have responded to a similar comment, to a previous post, as follows:

I have tried to make the video very varied, without long scenes, not repeating too much the way of flying the drone and camera angle and trying that you can see the place, from almost all angles.

I think that if the video had long scenes, repeating more the way of flying the drone / camera angle, it would be a more boring video. But this is just my personal opinion

And one more, as follows;

As this is the second comment I've received about the scenes being too short, if you tell me which scenes you like best in the video, I'll make them longer and remove the ones you don't choose.

More importantly, I couldn't find a story to your videos. As a suggestion, plan your entire flight story in advance so you don't jump around forwards and reverse. If there is a good story line to connect the clips the duration of each clip won't be so critical. Just adjust each clip length to what works at part of the story making sure the clips are long enough to allow the viewer to absorb the information before moving on with the video tour. If a clip doesn't fit the tour story, then cut it out. The subject matter is impressive but it needs and impressive story line for the viewer to appreciate it. Add some text elements could help alos.

On the other hand, I totally agree with this very accurate criticism: the video has no story and I don't think it can be remedied now, editing it, but rather, as you say, the video should have been planned beforehand. In the following videos, I will try to improve it. For example, I think this other video has a history

Thank you very much for your very helpful criticism!!

Working on this video

I would appreciate any kind of idea, suggestion, details to improve or correct, ...etc. of the video. Feel free to comment!

Thank you for any help you can offer!
There really is not very much to NOT like in this beauty.If I had any contribution, it would be to start with a wide distant view, and then, a closer view, not the opposite of what you have done . Very appropriate music selection.

Dale
Miami

Great piloting, music was pleasing and very appropriate, smooth shots! Overall a great video. The only comment I could make is a personal preference, as I’m not a fan of jump cut transitions throughout the entire video. I personally prefer varying dissolves and fade transitions. But again, great video!

.If I had any contribution, it would be to start with a wide distant view, and then, a closer view, not the opposite of what you have done

Yes, you are absolutely right, the video is quite chaotic in terms of content and order.

Very appropriate music selection.

What could be better than flamenco for an Andalusian village? ;)

There really is not very much to NOT like in this beauty

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch the video and comment!

The only comment I could make is a personal preference, as I’m not a fan of jump cut transitions throughout the entire video. I personally prefer varying dissolves and fade transitions. But again, great video!

With regard to transitions, we have opposing views. Personally, I apply the rule that less is more, so it is very rare to find them in my videos. I only use them if I think they add something, or I have to make a scene change and it doesn't coincide with music.

Great piloting, music was pleasing and very appropriate, smooth shots! Overall a great video.

A pleasure to read your comments. Thank you!

Very nice video!! I think the pacing and flow are very good, I personally wouldn't make the clips longer. I also agree with your choice to use hard cuts rather than transitions. A few speed ramps might be nice though. Some great shots in here as well.

A couple specific critiques though.
I don't love the shot at 1:43. To me it's panning too fast without much movement of the actual drone. I always try to avoid keeping the drone still and panning because it doesn't create a very dynamic shot.
In one or two of the clips the highlights looked like they were getting close to clipping, and in general I think the color grade could have been a bit better. I would probably increase the contrast and raise the shadows and turn down the highlights a bit on most of the shots to give them a bit more pop.
Also by the end, some of the shots started to feel a bit repetitious. I would personally probably cut the video down to 2 minutes (or even 1 minute) and use only the best of the best shots and not have too much repetition.
Otherwise pretty good video!

Very nice video!! I think the pacing and flow are very good, I personally wouldn't make the clips longer. I also agree with your choice to use hard cuts rather than transitions. A few speed ramps might be nice though. Some great shots in here as well.

First, Thanks!
As you can read in this thread, and in many others, the topic of the length of the scenes is very objective: there are opinions of all kinds.
I don't usually use speed ramps either, I only do it sometimes to make the video more spectacular with a certain scene. As this video is very calm and relaxed, I thought it was not appropriate to add them.

A couple specific critiques though.
I don't love the shot at 1:43. To me it's panning too fast without much movement of the actual drone. I always try to avoid keeping the drone still and panning because it doesn't create a very dynamic shot.

I totally agree with you, it shouldn't be in the video.

In one or two of the clips the highlights looked like they were getting close to clipping, and in general I think the color grade could have been a bit better. I would probably increase the contrast and raise the shadows and turn down the highlights a bit on most of the shots to give them a bit more pop.

About contrast and shadows. With this I agree with you again but not for a video published on YouTube. Let me explain: most of the people who watch my videos, and I guess on YouTube in general, do it with a mobile small screen where the brightness / contrast and colour calibration levels are often far from ideal.I think the way the video is now it is easier to watch them on these screens.

There are a few clips getting close to clipping or even clipping. They are scenes shot in the mountains, as the whole video, with the sun low. The camera on the drones I have is good for what it is good for. In the end I have to choose between risking overexposing highs and under exposing lows. I always choose the risk of overexposing the highs and sometimes it happens, they get burned.

Also by the end, some of the shots started to feel a bit repetitious. I would personally probably cut the video down to 2 minutes (or even 1 minute) and use only the best of the best shots and not have too much repetition.

Again, agree but I preferred to make a long video even at the risk of it becoming repetitive towards the end. Again, due to YouTube reasons.

Otherwise pretty good video!

A pleasure to read your wise review. Thank you very much for it!

With regard to transitions, we have opposing views. Personally, I apply the rule that less is more, so it is very rare to find them in my videos. I only use them if I think they add something, or I have to make a scene change and it doesn't coincide with music.

A pleasure to read your comments. Thank you!
Cool, as stated just my personal preference. That’s what makes life interesting. Glad you took my views in the intent it was given. Keep up the great work.

Reactions: DiscoverSpain
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM