DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Working on this unlisted video: La Hiruela a a snow-covered stone village

DiscoverSpain

Reactions
Site
discoverspainvideo.wordpress.com

Please feel free to leave your feedback, comments, critics, likes, dislikes, suggestions, or any improvements you think could be made on the video. Your input is highly valued and will help meenhance this video and future content.

Thanks in advance!

First off I'd tell you I thought it was really well done. Obviously you put a lot of time into this and it shows. Since you asked for a critique I'll do my best but if you did nothing it's still a very well done video. I'm wondering if you shot in Normal mode, not DLog or Dlog M? I'm guessing Dlog as the exposure was consistently good but the bright clouds and some snow was over exposed like at 2:30 and I -think- that is an example of blown out highlights but it was pulled back I assume, in post (I pulled this into Final Cut Pro to look at it). It does look like you color corrected and pulled any of the blown out areas below to under 100 but you can see on a wave form the hard lines like at 2:30 that make me think it's most likely a blown out area that's been pulled back. Maybe I'm wrong? As a non-pro video it's no big deal but it could be better in that regard - I think. I've made dozens of videos with that same problem. It's unavoidable if you shoot normal and sometimes even with Dlog M. When you go from one type of scene to another like 1:59 when you go to the hills, I'd consider a change of music. It sets a different pace and adds an accent to the new kind of view. If I were cutting this I would have (in the hillside scenes with a lot of trees) selected the green tree hue and increased the saturation. The sky is plenty blue but I'd be punching up the green in the trees. Just my take on that. I liked the intro logo but I would have made that full or nearly full screen. It's lost in the middle and the grapes and such aren't even noticed (by me) in it's few seconds as they are so small. I'd start it small like it is and zoom in while it's jiggling around and let it sit for a few seconds or something. Many of the small pans are so slow, which isn't bad...but also go so short a distance that I would consider pulling in a little bit. If you're publishing 4K you don't have a lot of room before things get pixelated but you definitely can pull/out a little. In is no problem...out takes some care but it would add a bit more of a dynamic quality. The one pan I don't care for is at 48:10. It seems we are about to see the door and the house and then "poof" we are gone. Maybe that could use a crossfade transition to the house instead of a hard cut. The mountain scene at 1:08:27 lacks contrast. The shadows are at luma 28 and they need to be down near zero. Those previous were not as bad but also needed some darkening in the shadows aw well as a bump in saturation.. 1:21:25 is a good example where you could pull (zoom) in to the fence to add a more dynamic feel. THAT is the kind of thing that is so completely a matter of taste. I'd do it. Maybe you think that would suck :). The exposure is well controlled there. Somewhat surprising. At 1:38:00 and later...I wanted to see the entire church at the end of that scene. I'd zoom out if the footage was there but it doesn't look like you got a shot of the entire church. I tell students that Close Medium Wide should be considered for almost any subject. Get footage of an interesting close up point, get something medium and get the entire thing. When you are done shooting video, take some still shots. Still shots make for great "zoom in" opportunties for strong Ken Burns effects that you can transition into and add to any video. Those kind of zooms are cleaner and more precise than any video can be Almost everything you shoot to the degree possible - it's not always possible... but it is always something to have in the back of your mind. CMW. The music ends abruptly. Have it fade out as should the last scene. This seems like a lot of criticism and it is but it's meant professionally and positively. I do think you did a really good job and the effort shows. Anyone could make similar criticisms of virtually anything I've done. I'm no pro but I have have been bold enough to teach an occasional class over the years so I do think about this nonsense at times. Enjoy - looking forward to more.

Reactions: WanderLost
Before addressing your specific points, I'd like to acknowledge that without the use of paragraph breaks, it's difficult to discern where one comment on a topic ends and another begins. If I've mixed comments, I apologize for any confusion caused. Thank you for your understanding.

First off I'd tell you I thought it was really well done. Obviously you put a lot of time into this and it shows. Since you asked for a critique I'll do my best but if you did nothing it's still a very well done video.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the video thoroughly, and for even going the extra mile to download it and check the levels in FCP. I truly appreciate your detailed feedback and constructive criticism. I genuinely value constructive feedback, so please feel free to share your thoughts. Any critique you provide will be greatly appreciated, and I'm open to hearing ways in which any of my videos could be improved.

I'm wondering if you shot in Normal mode, not DLog or Dlog M? I'm guessing Dlog as the exposure was consistently good but the bright clouds and some snow was over exposed like at 2:30 and I -think- that is an example of blown out highlights but it was pulled back I assume, in post (I pulled this into Final Cut Pro to look at it). It does look like you color corrected and pulled any of the blown out areas below to under 100 but you can see on a wave form the hard lines like at 2:30 that make me think it's most likely a blown out area that's been pulled back. Maybe I'm wrong? As a non-pro video it's no big deal but it could be better in that regard - I think. I've made dozens of videos with that same problem. It's unavoidable if you shoot normal and sometimes even with Dlog M.

Thank you for your detailed analysis. Just to provide additional context, the video was shot using three different cameras: a handheld camera capturing footage in Panasonic VLog, a Mini 2 drone, which doesn't have a Log recording mode, and a Mavic 2 Pro. For the Mavic 2 Pro, I opted not to use the DLogM mode because, in my experience, I find it challenging to work with. Instead, I prefer shooting in normal mode.

You're absolutely correct in pointing out that there are clips with overexposed or blown-out areas that were later corrected in post-production. Given the lighting conditions on the day of filming, coupled with the presence of snow, it was indeed a challenge to balance exposure. It often came down to choosing between overexposure or underexposure, as finding the perfect balance was quite difficult. Additionally, another challenge we faced was the limited dynamic range of the cameras on those drones. This limitation exacerbated the difficulty in managing exposure, especially in high-contrast scenes.

Furthermore, as you mentioned, the lighting conditions could change rapidly, especially when the drone was rotated or repositioned. Despite this, I always shoot with the camera in manual mode to have full control over exposure settings.

It's important to note that avoiding completely blown-out areas is often prioritized (and I'm definitely among those who strive for it). However, it's worth acknowledging that there are many acclaimed films where you can observe numerous blown-out skies and other times masked with strange colors. It's a reminder that while technical perfection is desirable, it's not always achievable or necessary to convey the intended message or emotion in a visual piece.

When you go from one type of scene to another like 1:59 when you go to the hills, I'd consider a change of music. It sets a different pace and adds an accent to the new kind of view.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the music. While I appreciate your input, it's worth noting that selecting the right music for a video can be subjective, and it's impossible to please everyone's preferences. In this particular case, the choice of music was made to create a cohesive atmosphere throughout the video, aiming to complement the visuals and evoke a certain mood.

If I were cutting this I would have (in the hillside scenes with a lot of trees) selected the green tree hue and increased the saturation. The sky is plenty blue but I'd be punching up the green in the trees.

Thank you for the suggestion regarding color grading, I'll certainly give it another try. However, it's important to consider that while the theory (as you proposed) might sound promising, in practice, there are some challenges to address. For instance, increasing the saturation of green hues in the mountain scenes with trees might result in unintended green tones appearing in areas where they're not desired, such as the snow. Nevertheless, I'll experiment with your idea and see if I can find a balance that enhances the overall visual appeal without introducing unwanted color artifacts. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I'll take it into account as I continue to refine the video.

Just my take on that. I liked the intro logo but I would have made that full or nearly full screen. It's lost in the middle and the grapes and such aren't even noticed (by me) in it's few seconds as they are so small. I'd start it small like it is and zoom in while it's jiggling around and let it sit for a few seconds or something.

Thank you for your input regarding the intro logo. You're absolutely right; making it full or nearly full screen would give it more prominence and impact. I appreciate your suggestion. I'll definitely take this into consideration during my next review of the channel intro.

Many of the small pans are so slow, which isn't bad...but also go so short a distance that I would consider pulling in a little bit. If you're publishing 4K you don't have a lot of room before things get pixelated but you definitely can pull/out a little. In is no problem...out takes some care but it would add a bit more of a dynamic quality.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the pacing of the camera pans. Indeed, the slow and deliberate pans were intentional as I aimed to create a cinematic feel for the video. I understand your point about potentially pulling in a bit to add more dynamic quality, but for this particular project, the slower pans were chosen to convey a sense of tranquility and immersion in the scenery.

Interestingly, I have a friend or colleague who reviews my videos as well. Do you know what his main critique is? He often tells me that I overdo it with the camera pans, and that I have many beautiful shots that could be static, without camera movement. It goes to show that as they say in Spain, "para gusto, los colores," which translates to "for tastes, there are colors" in English. This expression highlights the subjective nature of preferences, emphasizing that what one person enjoys, another might not.

Nevertheless, I truly appreciate your comment and value your opinion. Your feedback provides valuable insight, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to consider different perspectives as I continue to refine my work.

The one pan I don't care for is at 48:10. It seems we are about to see the door and the house and then "poof" we are gone. Maybe that could use a crossfade transition to the house instead of a hard cut.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the camera pan at 48:10. However, showing the door and the house in that scene would likely make it too long and potentially boring for viewer: that's why I cut it. Additionally, incorporating a speedwrap isn't an option for me, as I adhere to the principle of "less is more" in my videos.

I appreciate your suggestion for a crossfade transition to the house instead of a hard cut. I strive to ensure that the beauty of the video comes from the content itself, rather than relying heavily on transitions, speedwraps, and other editing techniques. And again, "less is more".By this, I mean that I prefer to keep transitions and edits minimal to maintain focus on the content itself. While I appreciate your suggestion, I don't see the necessity for a transition in that particular scene, as applying it there would potentially require similar adjustments throughout the video. Once again, thank you for taking the time to offer your suggestion.

The mountain scene at 1:08:27 lacks contrast. The shadows are at luma 28 and they need to be down near zero. Those previous were not as bad but also needed some darkening in the shadows aw well as a bump in saturation..

Thank you for your feedback regarding the mountain scene at 1:08:27. I understand your suggestion for increasing contrast by lowering the shadow levels and bumping up the saturation. However, based solely on the histogram, your suggestion is indeed technically correct. Yet, if we were to lower the shadow levels to zero, the scene would become overly dark and high in contrast. Did you happen to notice a lack of contrast in the scene? That's often the first indicator that the black levels are too high.

Finding the right balance between contrast and brightness is crucial to maintaining the visual appeal of the scene while ensuring that details are preserved. On the other hand, why add more color/saturation if there weren't more colors in the scene to begin with, and the camera, therefore, couldn't capture them? Doing so might make the scene appear unrealistically saturated.

1:21:25 is a good example where you could pull (zoom) in to the fence to add a more dynamic feel. THAT is the kind of thing that is so completely a matter of taste. I'd do it. Maybe you think that would suck :). The exposure is well controlled there. Somewhat surprising.
Thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate your reminder about the use of zoom in the scene at 1:21:25. As you correctly mentioned, zoom was added to that specific scene because it felt odd to have it almost static compared to the rest of the footage, where there is consistent camera movement. Maintaining visual consistency and avoiding abrupt changes in the pacing of the video is crucial for a cohesive viewing experience.

It's worth noting that the camera used in Log format offers nearly 14 stops of dynamic range. It's a wishful thought to have drones with such capabilities!

At 1:38:00 and later...I wanted to see the entire church at the end of that scene. I'd zoom out if the footage was there but it doesn't look like you got a shot of the entire church. I tell students that Close Medium Wide should be considered for almost any subject. Get footage of an interesting close up point, get something medium and get the entire thing. When you are done shooting video, take some still shots. Still shots make for great "zoom in" opportunties for strong Ken Burns effects that you can transition into and add to any video. Those kind of zooms are cleaner and more precise than any video can be Almost everything you shoot to the degree possible - it's not always possible... but it is always something to have in the back of your mind.

Thank you for your insight. If we all strictly followed the rules of framing, scenes, and so forth, it would indeed be challenging to create something unique and different from others. I believe it's part of my style not always to show complete shots of buildings or objects; sometimes, I prefer to focus on details, like the red berries you mentioned. Additionally, I'm not inclined to employ a photo bump in a video.

CMW. The music ends abruptly. Have it fade out as should the last scene.

Thanks for pointing out the music fade-out. Actually, it was deliberately done that way. I'm glad it caught your attention because that was precisely the effect I aimed for.

This seems like a lot of criticism and it is but it's meant professionally and positively. I do think you did a really good job and the effort shows. Anyone could make similar criticisms of virtually anything I've done. I'm no pro but I have have been bold enough to teach an occasional class over the years so I do think about this nonsense at times. Enjoy - looking forward to more.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful feedback and suggestions. I truly appreciate the time and effort you've put into providing such detailed comments. It's always valuable to receive constructive criticism, especially when it comes from someone with experience, I'm grateful for that. Rest assured, I'll take your insights into account as I continue to work on improving my videos. I'm glad you enjoyed the content overall, and I'm looking forward to sharing more in the future.

Personally, I think it is very well put together!

Personally, I think it is very well put together!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the video and found it well put together. Your feedback means a lot to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. If you have any suggestions or ideas for future videos, feel free to let me know

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't get into this one. It seemed to be just a bunch of clips put together that made no sense.
I appreciate your honesty. It seems like there might be a disconnect between the ground shots and the surrounding mountain scenes. Is that what you're referring to? Your feedback helps me understand areas where I can improve, so thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you have any specific suggestions on how I can make the video more cohesive, I'd love to hear them!

I appreciate your honesty. It seems like there might be a disconnect between the ground shots and the surrounding mountain scenes. Is that what you're referring to? Your feedback helps me understand areas where I can improve, so thank you for sharing your thoughts. If you have any specific suggestions on how I can make the video more cohesive, I'd love to hear them!
I saw no continuity in the video. It seemed (to me) that you just put a bunch of left over clips together to make a video. This is just my opinion of course.

Reactions: DiscoverSpain

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne