DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
You are the prefect example of a someone who reads out of context - deduces inuendo when it's not apparent - lives to denigrate others, and someone not worth asking advice from.

Haha. Funny. No, I'm just a grown man who doesn't like to be lectured by hypocrites and told I'm breaking non-existent law should I not subscribe to their rambling and inaccurate interpretations of "law".

People here just want to fly their drones and not be lectured to. People come here to speak with like minded individuals about their experiences with their Mavics and gain some useful information while doing so.

In the meantime, if I want to hear someone *****, I'll call my mother.

Guys if you don't mind lets stay on the op's topic and stop
being argumentative .
Thanks.

Slow down, people!
First and foremost thanks to all of your suggestions, especially the ones that were really constructive, but also the others. They all made me think. Of course some encouraged me more than others ;). I´ll rewrite some parts to make them look less like a law which was not my intention. It was meant to help people avoid mistakes and remind them that there are laws, which many don´t seem to realize. Just because you can buy a drone, doesn´t mean you are allowed to fly it.
For the ctritic people: please understand, there are more countries than just the United States. Do some reading about Italy, Dubai, Greece, Sweden (there was a ban after an incident with a big fire when drones hampered the fire departement - that ban was lifted again though - but there are similar incidents happening int he US: Drones hamper US firefighting efforts - BBC News),...
Many of you critizice me for not knowing enough and not naming my sources: to be honest I haven´t written down all my sources which might have been a good idea just to tell critics like you guys where this information is from. However, the vast majority wouldn´t care about the sources in a tutorial video so even if I had written them down I wouldn´t have published it.
But I do read a huge lot - including many forum posts here, drone related news (I already hear "fake news" comming up, but calling any bad drone related news fake news is just denying reality). Again: do some reading before you accuse me not to do so. Just recently: drone-car accident on bridge in Australia, Shut down of the airport in Dubai due to a drone (more than once)...
My goal is to HELP especially beginners to fly their drones safely, not cause unwanted damage and enjoy their new hobby.
If you are experienced and know how to fly - great. Keep within your countries laws you don´t need to read or watch my guides. When I joined this forum, there was a post that made me think (OK guys, here is the source for you: IMHO this is the number one problem with the Mavic!). That´s when I thought about creating a videomanual. Unfortunately I don´t always have time and that´s why I started a little late. Maybe for good because there is a lot more knowledge now than there was back then. Still I think that there are more people that will buy a DJI drone in the future than there have been in the past, and all those people could really use a decent guide.
So anybody willing to really help out making this better is more than welcome. Anybody who is rather here to be funny - you are not so much welcome, but if it helps you enjoy your day that´s still fine.

Edit: btw, an honest question: I have called this thread and the points in the text "guidelines" - from my understanding this is a rather loose term and can´t really be mixed with an order or law - did I get this wrong?

And another edit: Toddler's eyeball sliced in half by drone propeller - BBC News
Accidents are happening and probably more than we know. If any initiative helps prevent even one single accident, it was way worth it. Many - especially new - done pilots are not aware what even small drones can do. Just because YOU know, doesn´t mean everybody else does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey5159
Just because you can buy a drone, doesn´t mean you are allowed to fly it.

I don't know what country you are in, but in the United States, if you buy a drone, you ARE allowed to fly it.
It's "blanket statements" like this, without any context, or qualifiers, which make me think, maybe writing isn't your strong suit.

Reactions: wayy510
I don't know what country you are in, but in the United States, if you buy a drone, you ARE allowed to fly it.
It's "blanket statements" like this, without any context, or qualifiers, which make me think, maybe writing isn't your strong suit.

Not being overregulated especially in the aspects of recreational activity is one of the few things I envy you americans deeply for.

We retarded germans have a shitton of rules, laws and licenses for absolutely everything that goes beyond taking a piss. (maybe thats regulated as well, not even sure). And worse, a population so uptight, that you have to care for all that or meet the police on a regular basis.

I am Austrian, and we have strikt laws. We can buy the Mavics, Phantoms, Inspires, ect. easily in shops, but you must not fly it unless we have a license. It takes 6 months to get the license, it is expensive and you have to go through a lot of weird stuff. I can´t tell for sure, but my guess is that we have less than 500 licensed drone operators, but more than 50.000 sold cameradrones. The rest is flying illegal and many of them don´t even know.
Beside that it is for example very similar in the UAE since the beginning of 2017. The US is not the only country in the world and I think there are many members on this forum that don´t live in the US.

Here are some other thoughts regarding your previous comments:

Insurance - thanks for the spelling check. My dedicated drone insurance won´t even cover me flying in another country where it is totally legal to fly higher than here and farther than here (LOS). They only cover what is legal for me (my license) here in Austria. So I can fly in another country, but only within the Austrian limits - everything else will not be covered.

Birds – some people don´t even think about birds before they take off for their first flight. I didn´t either. I had the first bird attack in my second year. My big drone was attacked by Crows – I was pretty surprised and close to panicking because that drone was worth a fortune.
All I want is to create awareness. Finding out that a bird is interested in your drone on your maiden flight is not something people will be happy about.

Cold temperatures - check your mavic manual on page 28. Other aircraft e.g. Inspire 1 don´t get as warm as the mavic after 1-2 mins on ground – that´s why hovering is a good option.

Helicopter - max. vertical descent speed of the Mavic is 3m/sec, Inspire 4m/sec that should get you pretty near to the ground if you abide by the rules and start descending as soon as you hear the helicopter.
Big vs. small was meant man carrying helicopter vs. RC helicopter. I think most people will use common sense. Explaining everything will make the video unnecessarily long and result in people not watching it to the end, which is usually not what you want.

Don't do unto others what you would not have done unto you - that´s a quotation from the bible, but my guess is you do knew that anyway.

I don´t know why, but you seem to have the impression that I am just a bragger, poser or whatever you may call it. All I can assure you is: I usually think a lot before I do something (maybe not so much in regard to spelling and grammar - but you sure know by now that english is not my first language). I still appreciate your comments and have taken your objections into account, even though I do have the impression that most of all you are trying to be funny.

My apologies if I sounded negative. I will keep any further comments about your unique writing style to myself.

I usually think a lot before I do something
- did you consider whether this project had done before? It has been done. A. Whole. Lot.

If you go to YouTube and search for "DJI TUTORIAL": There are 2,650,000 videos.
YouTube search for "Drone Safety": 1,090,000 videos
YouTube search for "DJI GO Tutorial": 954,000 videos

What is it that you are going to include in your videos that make them stand-out, or different, or better?
Just curious.

Suggestion: Maybe you could do a specific "Austrian Drone Safety" tutorial on YouTube?
There are currently only 15,200 of those, according to a YouTube Search. Much better odds for you to stand out.

One last critique: (Last one, I promise - and this one might really help you.)
Don't do unto others what you would not have done unto you - that´s a quotation from the bible
- No, it's not. It's a misquote from the Bible. The way you worded it, it has the exact opposite meaning; from either Matthew 7:12 OR Luke 6:31.

I'm not a terribly religious person, but I'll bet misquoting that particular book will not help your credibility at all.

I do have the impression that most of all you are trying to be funny.
- Most of all I'm trying to help you make the best possible video tutorial. The other 2,650,000 are not very good.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Fly Safe!
Cover those eyeballs!

My apologies if I sounded negative. I will keep any further comments about your unique writing style to myself.

- did you consider whether this project had done before? It has been done. A. Whole. Lot.

If you go to YouTube and search for "DJI TUTORIAL": There are 2,650,000 videos.
YouTube search for "Drone Safety": 1,090,000 videos
YouTube search for "DJI GO Tutorial": 954,000 videos

What is it that you are going to include in your videos that make them stand-out, or different, or better?
Just curious.

Suggestion: Maybe you could do a specific "Austrian Drone Safety" tutorial on YouTube?
There are currently only 15,200 of those, according to a YouTube Search. Much better odds for you to stand out.

One last critique: (Last one, I promise - and this one might really help you.)
- No, it's not. It's a misquote from the Bible. The way you worded it, it has the exact opposite meaning; from either Matthew 7:12 OR Luke 6:31.

I'm not a terribly religious person, but I'll bet misquoting that particular book will not help your credibility at all.

- Most of all I'm trying to help you make the best possible video tutorial. The other 2,650,000 are not very good.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Fly Safe!
Cover those eyeballs!
Cool, that's over then.
Please try to find out why the plans to create a youtube channel of somebody you don't even know, is such a problem for you.

The OP, never suggested loss of GPS would cause a prop to break. These are just examples of things that could happen (unrelated to each other).

I think this is a good effort, although a bit over-dramatized, yes. I would tone down the potential "extreme" dangers, and focus on flying responsible and having fun.

No, I can't imagine anyone who is naive enough to believe that, I was simply trying to point out that there may be some issues grammatically, albeit not the best way to be clear what I'm pointing out.

I'd agree that the effort is solid, and I always enjoy viewing original content on youtube. I don't even subscribe to cable I enjoy it enough.

An effort to tone down the danger would probably bring it back to reality. Yeah they're dangerous, but so is almost anything when used improperly.

"If something severe happens it might ruin your life, paying for the consequences your whole life and getting arrested too. Think about your drone falling out of the sky onto a road, the driver of a car jerks the steering wheel around and and crashes into a group of pedestrians. One dies and others have injuries they have to live with their whole lives."

I understand what you're getting at here, but it sounds like it should be the opening text of a "Scared Straight" commercial.

We're adults flying UAV's here.

Give flying the same respect you'd give driving a car, your lawnmower, running your blender, etc. and you'll be ok.

If your drone experiences a mechanical failure and drops like a rock, there's nothing you're going to do about it.

Do you avoid roads with sidewalks because there's a chance your vehicle could have a mechanical failure, causing you to jerk the wheel into a group of pedestrians?

No, you don't. Valid content, but perhaps delivered in an overbearing, overly dramatized manner.

People - thanks again for all the inputs. The majority thinks it was a bit over-dramatized. While I still think it is important to know that severe things can happen without the pilot being covered by insurance, I also think that it doesn´t make sense if people bounce out of the video after the first few seconds.

I have tried to change some things. I´d very much appreciate if anybody is still willing to read:

Let´s talk about safety, because this may be the single most important thing when it comes to flying a drone.

Not only will it protect you, your aircraft and people around you from damage and injury,

the way people fly with their drones might also determine if flying non-commercial drones could be banned pretty soon, or if we will still be allowed to legally fly our aircraft in 10 years from now.

DJI Aircraft are so easy to fly, that many people get the feeling they are 100% failsafe.
In fact they are just as failsafe as the pilot who flies them.

Honestly – I have seen a group of people standing around a DJI Mavic in a circle – just 2m from the aircraft – the pilot took off to about 1m height and had the people one by one pushing it down again and to the sides to demonstrate how it keeps height and position. Let´s try to think about the most unlikely event that could happen. What if the drone loses GPS signal or a prop suddenly breaks? Make it a habit to think about the worst possible thing that could happen. If you and other people are still safe, you are good.

The best images and videos are created on the smoothest flights. Publishing your breakneck maneuvers and fails on youtube doesn't make you a hero but rather makes your violation of law public and you may open yourself to prosecution which is usually not what you want. So try to refrain from taking part in the record hunt for the further or higher you fly the better you are.

That said, here are some guidelines, especially for beginners

1. First and foremost: know the laws of the country you fly in. Many have very strict rules, others forbid non-commercial flying with camera drones completely. Flying against the rules might mean no insurance will cover your flight in case of an accident.
    NO, I am not talking about an insurance that will cover a destroyed drone.
    If something severe happens you may have to pay for the consequences your whole life and even get arrested.
  2. Inspect the aircraft, batteries and props prior to each flight. Make sure the batteries of aircraft, remote and tablet/smartphone are charged. In cold temperatures: keep the batteries warm and hover for one or two minutes near the home point to warm up aircraft and batteries
  3. Check your compass value whenever you change location by clicking.
    Settings – Advanced Settings – Sensors – Compass. If the bars are not green – do a compass calibration.
  4. Check on the map if your home point has been set and if it is at the right location as soon as you took off.
    If it is not set correctly and you trigger return to home in case of an emergency, the drone will fly away rather than home.
  5. Do not fly over or near people and animals. As I already said: think about the most unlikely event that could happen and don´t risk other peoples health for your joy. Treat others as you want to be treated.
  6. Fly in safe areas. Wide open areas are best for practicing.
  7. Avoid flying under obstacles that may block your GPS signal or disturb your compass.
  8. Stay within line of sight. Not only is this a law in many countries, doing this will reduce the risk of losing your drone dramatically.
  9. Stay below 400ft or 120m – in some countries even below 100m.
  10. If you hear the sound of a large helicopter (even in a distance), descend immediately to avoid the possibility of a crash in case it crosses your flight route.
  11. Birds: If there are many birds, for example seagulls or crows at a particular place, think about changing location. Large groups of birds are unpredictable – avoid one bird and you might fly right towards another. That doesn´t mean that single birds are no threat to your drone.
    If birds attack: fly up! They can't ascend as fast as you can, but they are usually faster in every other direction, especially down. After flying up, leave their territory as quickly as possible.
  12. Remove the props when doing firmware updates or indoor calibrations, adjustments etc. There have been cases where DJI aircraft have unexpectedly started up.
  13. After updating your firmware or app, take a testflight without flying too far. It is very unlikely, but sometimes your aircraft or app could behave erratic after a firmware upgrade.
  14. Don´t let other people disturb you while flying – a polite – sorry, I have to concentrate on flying the aircraft to stay safe should keep away curious onlookers.
  15. LiPo batteries can cause fire – much more than alkaline batteries or other rechargeable batteries. That is something most pilots are not aware of. Protect yourself and your belongings by reading into this topic.
  16. And finally: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Even return to home and other functions need to be practiced, beside your regular flying skills. Because once you get in panic it might be too late and you may very likely crash.

To sum things up: DJI aircraft are incredibly easy to fly, but there are situations that especially new pilots don´t anticipate could ever happen. Be prepared and you are on the safe side.

The points listed should give you a guidance and are not complete. In case you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.

No, I can't imagine anyone who is naive enough to believe that, I was simply trying to point out that there may be some issues grammatically, albeit not the best way to be clear what I'm pointing out.

I'd agree that the effort is solid, and I always enjoy viewing original content on youtube. I don't even subscribe to cable I enjoy it enough.

An effort to tone down the danger would probably bring it back to reality. Yeah they're dangerous, but so is almost anything when used improperly.

"If something severe happens it might ruin your life, paying for the consequences your whole life and getting arrested too. Think about your drone falling out of the sky onto a road, the driver of a car jerks the steering wheel around and and crashes into a group of pedestrians. One dies and others have injuries they have to live with their whole lives."

I understand what you're getting at here, but it sounds like it should be the opening text of a "Scared Straight" commercial.

We're adults flying UAV's here.

Give flying the same respect you'd give driving a car, your lawnmower, running your blender, etc. and you'll be ok.

If your drone experiences a mechanical failure and drops like a rock, there's nothing you're going to do about it.

Do you avoid roads with sidewalks because there's a chance your vehicle could have a mechanical failure, causing you to jerk the wheel into a group of pedestrians?

No, you don't. Valid content, but perhaps delivered in an overbearing, overly dramatized manner.
Great measured response!

Reactions: photo1x1.com
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent