DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Control from a small patch of clearing in a forest

Alternative idea, directly related to your OP (original problem), and no trees were harmed in the formation of this thought:

Where I live, the forest are not on flat terrain. So if you have any hills or high spots to stand on, this would solve the situation. Even if the high-spot is further from your intended target location, the M2 has a pretty good range when there are no liquid-filed groves between the controller and the craft.

The last time I few from within the forest, I too lost connection. And as someone else mentioned, I too could fly higher to gain a bit more distance, but when I came down to take the footage I wanted, I could no longer control the camera / gimbal (without signal, until I regained signal on RTH, which is no solution).

Chris

I usually fly LOS in populated areas but when I'm out in the sticks, I don't worry so much. Most I'll hit if I crash is a tree.
Really? The very most?

What about not seeing/hearing a manned aircraft?

I think "the most" would be bringing down one of those aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Really? The very most?

I think "the most" would be bring down one of those aircraft.

Also: I don't know where DeeRose lives, but around here, the forests are chock full of hikers. This is on both sides of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, all down the US coastal states (and up into Canada).

On the hiking lists I'm on, they hate drones. They come up with a lot of bogus reasons for their complaints, but you can't argue with the one that points out that the number of heads a drone can fall on is something greater than zero, even if you avoid flying over established trails.

Chris

Really? The very most?

I think "the most" would be bringing down one of those aircraft.
Not where I live. No planes overhead. Seriously, you have no idea what my area is like.

Also: I don't know where DeeRose lives, but around here, the forests are chock full of hikers. This is on both sides of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, all down the US coastal states (and up into Canada).

On the hiking lists I'm on, they hate drones. They come up with a lot of bogus reasons for their complaints, but you can't argue with the one that points out that the number of heads a drone can fall on is something greater than zero, even if you avoid flying over established trails.

Chris
People don't hike my private property.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242