DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller battery life

catowner7

Reactions
I just found out that I cannot charge the controller using the USB port, I was hoping I could attach a power bank to it while flying, but no :-( So what do people do when going out in the field with 2 or 3 spare drone batteries and you start to run out of controller power when the first drone battery is empty?

This doesn't happen to me — I can use 5 drone batteries during one full charge of the standard controller.

Are you using an Android device?

Using my CS along with the controller I easily get 6 full batteries of flight time using my M2P.
Suspect your problem may be that the controller battery is charging your Android phone. This is a known issue and I don’t think anyone has posted a work around that they have proven.
A car or remote charger may help you get back in the air quicker.

Reactions: Chrislaf
I just found out that I cannot charge the controller using the USB port, I was hoping I could attach a power bank to it while flying, but no :-( So what do people do when going out in the field with 2 or 3 spare drone batteries and you start to run out of controller power when the first drone battery is empty?
I believe that folks have been able to attach a power bank to the side (small) usb while using the larger/lower usb to connect to their phone/tablet. But as suggested you should be able to get more than one drone battery/flight on a controller charge.

I was having the same problem since I use a Samsung Tablet. If I didn't have the tablet fully charged as soon as I hooked up the bottom USB cable to the Tablet it would show the RC was charging the tablet.
I have now switched to the C.S. ultra-bright since my eyes are bad at 84. Now I can fly my MPP for all the 4 batteries & still have 87% battery on the C.S.

You are charging through the side port?
Or charge while you fly! (Ignore the home-made tablet holder; I now use a Lekufee Tablet / phone holder ). See the pic.

Attachments

• Pro OTG .jpg
    Pro OTG .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Bramavic2
Thanks, I followed the tips to charge via the side port but it still drains the controller. So I decided to test this properly. I used:

- my mavic 2 zoom
- standard dji controller
- samsung s7 edge smartphone
- ravpower power bank 14.000 mAh

First test over 1 hour with the power bank connected and everything else powered up fully charged:

Charge after 30 min: drone 81%, controller 92%, phone 97%
Charge after 60 min: drone 62%, controller 87%, phone 93%

2nd test without the power bank, but using a different drone battery:

Charge after 30 min: drone 84%, controller 80%, phone 98%
Charge after 60 min: drone 67%, controller 58%, phone 95%

So YES, the charging is working, even if it cannot keep up with the discharge speed. 87% controller level after 1 hour is great compared to the 58% otherwise. Thanks for the tips.

Thanks, I followed the tips to charge via the side port but it still drains the controller. So I decided to test this properly. I used:

- my mavic 2 zoom
- standard dji controller
- samsung s7 edge smartphone
- ravpower power bank 14.000 mAh

First test over 1 hour with the power bank connected and everything else powered up fully charged:

Charge after 30 min: drone 81%, controller 92%, phone 97%
Charge after 60 min: drone 62%, controller 87%, phone 93%

2nd test without the power bank, but using a different drone battery:

Charge after 30 min: drone 84%, controller 80%, phone 98%
Charge after 60 min: drone 67%, controller 58%, phone 95%

So YES, the charging is working, even if it cannot keep up with the discharge speed. 87% controller level after 1 hour is great compared to the 58% otherwise. Thanks for the tips.
The only other thing to test is whether your power bank is outputting 2.1A from both ports simultaneously. I have attached a picture of a Mavic Mini setup. Note that its controller cannot charge simultaneously. Android devices need about 500mA for the port to be active.
Good test. Outside I have my tablet at max brightness. This increases the drain.

Attachments

• Mini OTG.jpg
    Mini OTG.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member