DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Range

I’m having the same issue. 3400ft is all I have ever been able to go before total signal loss. Has anyone had any luck contacting DJI? I’m trying to decide if I should just send everything back. Very frustrating.
sending mine back today...will let you know what DJI have to say

Hi thanx for that..just to clarify I cant get back to BAli and am currently in Sydney. I launch off my front balcony and head out. Clear LOS and this it what i get.Have tried both ipad mini 5 and ipone x same thing.
I contacted DJI and showed them this video and they advised to send back the drone MA2.
Great video, this is my exact problem as well.

So what is the real range for this drone? 3000ft off a 2nd floor deck in an area surrounded by trees and very few Homes. Is that really the best it can do? I’m very surprised and disappointed by the lack of range.
You’re asking a lot in that sort of condition. Do you realize how far that is? You’re flying over 1/2mi away!! I have to ask, what business do you even have flying that far on a regular business, other than to just spy on people or use it as a toy. If you need photography work to be done, get in your car and drive as close as you can to location. What you’re doing is illegal per FAA anyway.

You’re asking a lot in that sort of condition. Do you realize how far that is? You’re flying over 1/2mi away!! I have to ask, what business do you even have flying that far on a regular business, other than to just spy on people or use it as a toy. If you need photography work to be done, get in your car and drive as close as you can to location. What you’re doing is illegal per FAA anyway.
Its bit hard to drive over water to film the game boats coming in after fishing for the club.?

I hope your joking with that comment. I've never had a dji drone only go 1/2 mile.
Not joking. You do know things can block RF? Temperature and humidity, your line of sight for best signal reception, other RF signals, trees, etc.

Try on top of a 10 story parking garage, then fly another 300-500ft on top of that for your range test.

In this video, the guy claims that he's pointing the RC controller more horizontally, so that the flat end of the black extension piece is pointing more directly toward to the drone's position. We really aren't 100% positive of the antenna array or how it's designed in the MA2 controller, so maybe this would help. Try not to hold your RC controller in the upright position if you want longer range:

Last edited:
Is the wifi on in your mobile device, if so, turn it off. Any blutooth? Turn it off. Consider airplane mode too... if you dont care about the maps. Don't stand on or take off from any concrete with rebar in it, or near any other metal structure. And in my experience, these antennas are far more directional than the old controller, its critical that you point directly at the drone, and keep the angle consistant with the distance, think of a right angled triangle, with you at the convergence of the two longest sides. And clear line of sight certainly makes a diference. I live in a highly forested area, I get my best results with that clear directional approach. Hope any of this helps.

I’ve had my MA2 for a week now and have flown it mostly in my neighborhood until today. I finally took it out in the country to get some longer range flights. Problem is, at 350ft altitude I was consistently losing RC connection at just over 2600 feet. Very rural area (large farms) and no direct interference. Shouldn’t I be getting longer range than that?
Did you calibrate your compass and IMU in the new area?

Waste of time...
Well got this email today from DJI repair centre.....If anyone has range issues it may pay to enquire.....:p

Remark
the Aircraft Core Board Module was damaged,which caused distance of image transmission is short;SN may change. Test will be performed after repair.

Item List
Aircraft Core Board Module

Quantity: 1
Unit Price : 384.00
Amount : 384.00

Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 1
Unit Price : 60.00
Amount : 60.00

Shipping and handling Services

Total Amount

Discount