DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corrupted video file. Bummer.

ToTheSummit

Reactions
So I took my new Mavic Mini out for some "social distancing" this morning (went for a hike where no one else would be). It was a little breezy but I was able to fly it. It was only the fourth time I had it off the ground. I flew a full battery down. Shot about 5 minutes of video before I stopped to try out one of the 'quick shot' settings. That came out nice. Then I flew around and shot at least another 10 minutes of raw footage, some of which I was excited to see.

When I got home and checked the files the long piece that I shot last won't play. Somehow the file is corrupted. I'm wondering if this is something that happens very often or is this a one-off fluke? Kinda disappointing to have this happen on one of my first real flights. I'm hoping this is not a common occurrence, or a problem with my unit. What a bummer to lose a bunch of good footage.

So I guess I learned a good lesson...to stop and start video for separate shots you are trying to take. If you lose one you don't lose the whole thing. And don't be afraid to take multiple shots of the same thing if you have the time to do it. Also, I learned a good lesson about bringing something to use as a landing pad. I never thought about how tricky it could be to find a safe spot to take off and land in the middle of the desert! What I would normally consider flat, bare ground is not friendly to a tiny drone like the MM!

Anyway, here is the quick shot (helix) that came out nice.

Sometimes the file is not finalized if you happen to power down the drone before pressing video stop. Insert the memory card again with corrupted file on it, power back on drone and this usually finishes the video process. Maybe start and stop video. Then power off. This fixes the corrupted file. At least on my M2 it does.

Hey, thanks. Now that I think about it that may have been the problem. I can't recall if I stopped video so its possible I forgot. Again, another good reason to start and stop regularly for shots. Get into the habit of doing so.

All valid lessons and good advice...thanks! As for the landing pad, may I suggest hand launch/recovery? My mini has yet to touch terra firma because of exactly what you said about unforgiving to such a small drone. As a guitarist, I try to look out for my hands and fingers, so I had some trepidation during my first hand launches and recoveries, but if I can do it, anybody can. :)

Hope it helps.
Happened to me after capturing the most awesome footage (not really). Someone on here told me to do same thing and sure enough fixed the file.

Another reason to stop/start is so you can edit and work with smaller files than huge 15min long ones...

Hey, I think in a different ways, When Mavic 5 minutes video works fine after complete the recording 10 minute the footage corrupt this may be issue on SD card. I agree corrupt footage will not completely lost. We can repair the video footage with the help of video repair software or tool which can support Mavic drone such as Stellar Video Repair, Grau, and many more. Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan