DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cost to use LAANC?

It costs $150 to take the test, and may cost additional to study for the exam
That sound like the fee for the commercial remote pilot certificate. Are you sure?

Reactions: dawgpilot
It costs $150 to take the test, and may cost additional to study for the exam
It sounds like you're referring to the test for the remote pilot license. Recreational pilots will not need to take that test in order to use LAANC.

It sounds like you're referring to the test for the remote pilot license. Recreational pilots will not need to take that test in order to use LAANC.
Yes. that is what I was referring to.
LAANC is not available for recreational, yet. I assumed the OP was referring to LAANC for commercial use.

My apologies

Reactions: Hauptmann
Yes. that is what I was referring to.
LAANC is not available for recreational, yet. I assumed the OP was referring to LAANC for commercial use.

My apologies
All the more reason to get your 107 Cert. The test ain't hard. The training, cheap cheap cheap!

An online, unproctored test is an oxymoron.

This is the FAA we are talking about. Oxymorons shouldn't be too surprising.

More seriously, the FAA needs to balance costs and expected compliance rates with the supposed safety benefits of the new rule. This is why I'd be pretty surprised if their ultimate testing decision ends up sending all the millions of recreational pilots to PSI testing centers (where other airman certificate knowledge testing is done) where they'd have to take time off work, potentially travel a considerable distance to a testing site, and pay $150 dollars. They know that if they make the process too difficult, a lot of recreational drone operators will simply ignore the rule and thus the supposed safety benefits of increased education won't be met.

In the FAA's recent NPRM relating to Part 107 certification changes, the FAA already realized the inconvenience of those testing centers and they proposed eliminating those kinds of tests for Part 107 pilots doing their recurrent certifications. Instead they seem to be developing an online module for those pilots that the FAA could update more frequently as regulations and safety concerns change. This could possibly be used as a template for recreational fliers as well.

Ultimately we should see later this year what they come up with.

Reactions: tleedom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll