DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could this be a partial update?

gjmphoto

Reactions
This is cross-posted because I didn't realize this category was here. I think this is the better place to post this question. Sorry for the redundancy.

A strange thing happened last night. I fired up my MPP because I suspected there'd be a firmware upgrade to go along with the new release of Go 4. Sure enough, the app said my firmware needed to be upgraded...but before I clicked to upgrade, a dialog came up about "Precise Fly Safe" database updates. I clicked on that one and was taken to a validation screen about a mainland china phone number and access code. I couldn't get out of that screen loop. Going backwards would not get me back to the GO 4 main screen.

So I rebooted everything and started again, canceled out of the database update dialog and clicked on the firmware upgrade. This is where the fun began:

The firmware upgrade started, was at 1%, then Go 4 crashed out. The controller continued to flash "Updating", but nothing was on my Go 4.

I restarted Go 4 and it now comes up and says that the firmware is up to date. I'm dubious. Could the upgrade have continued to completion without Go 4 running? It also didn't take more than 5 minutes to do the complete upgrade...if that and I didn't see it download more than 1%. The last time I updated the firmware, it took the better part of 20 minutes.

I'm frankly a little afraid to fly (not that the weather here in NY is going to let me fly anytime soon anyway). Everything looks right...I can use the app and set settings and I see video, etc. I'm just a little wary that the upgrade was "Partial".

Any thoughts?

This has happened to me a few times. Never had a problem with it. When it does I just power off and check again a few times. Always seems to update.

Last edited:
Crap like this is why I always use Assistant 2 to update firmware via USB.

Crap like this is why I always use Assistant 2 to update firmware via USB.
Great advice. I loaded assistant...it said I had the current version but the button said update...so I ran the update successfully. After that the button said refresh. Not sure if there's a difference that causes the buttons to change but I'm now fully upgraded...so thank you!

Using assistant is a much better option...I will use that from now on!

As with the original poster gjmphoto I had my FW upload fail 4 times with the GO4 App. After the 4th failure I restarted the Mavic, Controller and GO4 App and there was no message saying a new update was available. I became concerned as I new the update had failed, I then closed the Mavic, Controller and GO4 App down and restarted them another 3 times, and still no alert for the available updates. Then on the 4th restart the message came up that there was a FW update available! I used the Assistant2 to connect the Mavic but the Firm Ware page show nothing, only the option to Reset the Factory Defaults.

I uninstalled Assistant2, then downloaded it and re-installed it. This time when I connected the Mavic to the Assistant2 it showed the current and previous FW downloads!
I then proceded to update the Mavic, Controller and Goggles without a hitch using the Assistant2. I think I will just use the Assistant2 in future, but have to say I'm losing patience with DJI.

The more I think about it, the more upgrading with a hard connection makes sense. Eliminating the weakest part of the solution is always a good strategy, in this case, the wireless connection. No worries about interference, dropped connections, competing bandwidth, and the two computers are just talking directly to each other in the fastest and most reliable way. Assistant is clearly the way to go if you're not in the field when you need to do an upgrade.

The interesting thing to me was that before I did the update, the Assistant recognized my MPP, but showed a status message that the firmware was up to date...yet still provided the button that said "Update". In other words, it was prompting an update even though it claimed that the firmware was already current. After the update, that button changed caption to "Refresh".

So I wonder if it knew there was a discrepancy...or is that always the way the buttons work?

The more I think about it, the more upgrading with a hard connection makes sense. Eliminating the weakest part of the solution is always a good strategy, in this case, the wireless connection. No worries about interference, dropped connections, competing bandwidth, and the two computers are just talking directly to each other in the fastest and most reliable way. Assistant is clearly the way to go if you're not in the field when you need to do an upgrade.

The interesting thing to me was that before I did the update, the Assistant recognized my MPP, but showed a status message that the firmware was up to date...yet still provided the button that said "Update". In other words, it was prompting an update even though it claimed that the firmware was already current. After the update, that button changed caption to "Refresh".

So I wonder if it knew there was a discrepancy...or is that always the way the buttons work?

I agree and will use the Assistant in future, until such a time as DJI get their act together and resolve the bugs in the GO4 App wireless download system. I think the convienience of updating all DJI devices simultaneously through the Go4 App wirelessly is a great concept, especially when you are in a situation where access to hard wire to a "confuser" isn't possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet