DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couldn’t even give away my Mavic Mini, now it’s officially setup for RC warbird flying

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
Recently, tried to sell my Mavic Mini. No takers, with Mavic Mini 2 out can’t blame them.

Was a blessing in disguise, it’s perfect for RC flying. Unfortunately, damaged the GPS/Gimbal ribbon while removing unnecessary weight. Ordered a new ribbon today, so it’s a temporary setback. With battery, 173 grams. Now fitted inside a 1410mm P-51D Mustang, can charge battery from outside without removing from fuselage.

Will be very interesting to fly, looking forward to it’s first flight using the IPad. Controller is strapped behind the RC Transmitter, only function I’ll be using with Mini controller is gimbal tilt, I’ve removed the mini controller sticks as I’ll never need them.

Will keep you posted with first flight, once ribbon arrives and installed.

Thanks for looking,
Paul0EFE4101-57F3-47AC-B0B4-5D803EB853E6.jpeg3400C671-41A3-46AE-A4BC-1C28B7D3F743.jpeg3400C671-41A3-46AE-A4BC-1C28B7D3F743.jpeg642790E2-426D-47CA-9723-B2DAA65DB9BF.jpeg

just glanced at this, csn you explain more? Hair using the motors? How does it turn the prop on the bird?

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
just glanced at this, csn you explain more? Hair using the motors? How does it turn the prop on the bird?
Hello,

The Mavic Mini will be camera use only, mounted within the large RC plane. The objective, to fly the plane using Mini camera and IPad as my instruments to fly the plane as if I was in the cockpit.

Same concept as flying a drone using an iPad or iPhone, the RC plane is powered with its own motor and battery using the RC transmitter to control its flight.

Thanks for your interest,
Paul

That's awesome. Can't wait to see the captured video!

Might be some error messages popping up though.
Thanks! That’s what I thought at first, errors like motor error, etc. Then, it occurred to me this would probably only show after startup. Since I won’t be starting up the motors, it didn’t show after disconnecting one motor, then didn’t show after disconnecting all four motors. That was great news, even better as I walked the drone away from iPad distance and elevation showed on screen, this was terrific now I knew the Mavic Mini could be stripped from its motors, legs to make it even lighter without interfering with visual feed.

Unfortunately, at the last step to lighten mini accidentally cut a portion of the GPS/Gimbal cable. Ordered a replacement cable yesterday, minor setback I’ll have this put back together soon.

Looking forward to using this setup, will be very fun using the mini to fly this big RC airplane.

Thanks again!
Paul

I love it when people repurpose a product.

No since throwing something away if it still has a function that could be used.

Good luck with the flight(s) Paul. ?

Good use for unneeded equipment. Very interesting idea :)

Have you flown it at all with the added nose weight? I wonder how much it will affect the CoG of an already "nose sensitive" P-51. Is that the FMS brand? 1400mm (or something like that)?

I've got what appears to be about that same one (if it is FMS) that's a bear to get off the ground (grass runway) but once she's airborne what a beauty. Unfortunately she's suffering from "Hanger Rash" on the tailfeathers.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Good use for unneeded equipment. Very interesting idea :)

Have you flown it at all with the added nose weight? I wonder how much it will affect the CoG of an already "nose sensitive" P-51. Is that the FMS brand? 1400mm (or something like that)?

I've got what appears to be about that same one (if it is FMS) that's a bear to get off the ground (grass runway) but once she's airborne what a beauty. Unfortunately she's suffering from "Hanger Rash" on the tailfeathers.
Hello BigA107,

I was very careful getting the CG right after adding on the stripped Mavic Mini, reduced the Mini down to 173 grams. Then, with the RC plane went with a lighter battery which is almost 135 grams lighter than the heavier original battery. Difference was about 35 grams extra, I’m sure this will be fine this particular Freewing 1410mm P-51D Mustang likes nose heavy.

Plus, I mounted a stabilizer onto the Freewing Mustang this greatly helps adjust CG if it’s off a little. Can turn off the stabilizer, but going forward will leave it on when using the Mini camera aboard.

Recently, crashed this particular Freewing 1410mm P-51D Mustang. Had to replace fuselage, Fortunately the main wing, rudder and elevator survived the crash. Now that it’s flying again. Going to repaint it back to British P-51 paint scheme, the fellow I bought the plane from repainted the P-51 to a British paint scheme. She flies great, luckily it’s flying again after the crash. Only now, it is pieced together with two different paint schemes, America and British. I really want to get this back to its original British paint scheme, it’s a beauty.

Thanks for asking these questions, good to see others out there involved with RC warbirds. Currently, I have three flying warbirds. DYNAM P-47 2, Freewing P-51D 1410mm and e-Flite P-51D 1.2 Mustang.

Thanks again,
PaulC29B24E2-C223-4463-A09D-2084C69300A3.jpegECDFA337-57C5-4FF9-AC7E-A4EAADB1F0F5.jpeg20DAD595-7DAD-496A-9D87-4E9226E3E040.jpeg

Reactions: MA2 317 and BigAl07
Pretty expensive gimbal camera.
Does it provide any height/distance telemetry, or anything else besides camera? I would think not since all that is celebrated for zero on motor start and takeoff.
Perhaps location in the map view.

Mini 1 is still selling since it is $50 (no FMC) to $100 (with FMC) cheaper than MM2, and some need to save every penny, so I'm surprised you couldn't sell your Mini.

Neat concept though.

Pretty expensive gimbal camera.
Does it provide any height/distance telemetry, or anything else besides camera? I would think not since all that is celebrated for zero on motor start and takeoff.
Perhaps location in the map view.

Mini 1 is still selling since it is $50 (no FMC) to $100 (with FMC) cheaper than MM2, and some need to save every penny, so I'm surprised you couldn't sell your Mini.

Neat concept though.
From carrying the controller away from Mavic Mini while mini was powered on, elevation and distance did show on app screen. This was done after removing the motors, once the replacement gimbal/gps ribbon arrives I’ll install new ribbon and take this out for a flight. Hopefully, all goes well I feel it will.

The Mini would have probably sold, had I lowered it even more. I’m so glad it didn’t, this gutted mini setup is only the beginning for RC setup, I like the use knowing elevation, distance and speed. The gutted Mavic Mini is perfect, it’s really not all that of an expense. Considering the extra information I’ll have and need to successfully fly this as if I’m in the cockpit.
Will share more later, once I get the ribbon replaced.

Thank you for your interest,
Paul

Reactions: MA2 317 and BigAl07
From carrying the controller away from Mavic Mini while mini was powered on, elevation and distance did show on app screen. This was done after removing the motors, once the replacement gimbal/gps ribbon arrives I’ll install new ribbon and take this out for a flight. Hopefully, all goes well I feel it will.

The Mini would have probably sold, had I lowered it even more. I’m so glad it didn’t, this gutted mini setup is only the beginning for RC setup, I like the use knowing elevation, distance and speed. The gutted Mavic Mini is perfect, it’s really not all that of an expense. Considering the extra information I’ll have and need to successfully fly this as if I’m in the cockpit.
Will share more later, once I get the ribbon replaced.

Thank you for your interest,
Paul
You could be ONTO something here :)

Reactions: MA2 317
You're going to have 2(3?) issues...
- Most likely MASSIVE jello due to vibrations, and definitely really ugly stripes from the camera being behind the prop with its entire field covered by it
- FOV of the camera that is too narrow for flying fixed wing, manual FPV comfortably

- And well, the poor latency/range of the wifi-based MM, might be somewhat workable if you're in an FCC region and take it really easy to get used to the latency.

You're going to have 2(3?) issues...
- Most likely MASSIVE jello due to vibrations, and definitely really ugly stripes from the camera being behind the prop with its entire field covered by it
- FOV of the camera that is too narrow for flying fixed wing, manual FPV comfortably

- And well, the poor latency/range of the wifi-based MM, might be somewhat workable if you're in an FCC region and take it really easy to get used to the latency.
Of the three issues you mention, I’m okay with the stripes from the propeller. I’ve seen FPV feed from RC planes the stripes don‘t brother me, this project of mine is for FPV flying an RC warbird as long as I can fly without the danger of crashing the stripes are not an issue.

Range, Our RC club airspace is large with its own airstrip. Probably be flying only 250-350 yards from controller, Even though mini is WiFi-based the Mavic Mini signal will be terrific plenty of signal strength will not have latency in this area. I’ve flown the mini nearby and it was great, fortunately that will not be an issue.

About the only concern that I have, and Its one you shared. Maybe vibration may be an issue, I hope not especially the mini gimbal should take care of this. Plus, you bringing this up gives me an idea of maybe I need to install a clear shield in front of gimbal so the propeller turbulence doesn’t create stress to gimbal.

Appreciate you sharing, excellent points of concern. I’ll definitely work on these areas to eliminate or at least reduce the issues.

Thank you,
Paul

Try altering the shutter speed to reduce the prop stripe issue, may help, and if taking pics use auto bracketing.

Try altering the shutter speed to reduce the prop stripe issue, may help, and if taking pics use auto bracketing.
Controlling striping with shutter speed can be difficult to do. The props themselves act as a shutter. To specify a specific shutter speed in video and maintain proper exposure, you need ND filters, but there aren't any suitable ones for Mini. To make things worse, the prop speed won't be static, otherwise you could sync the shutter speed with the prop with an exact integer multiple.

We had a similar problem with Phantoms where the props tended to chop ambient light when the light source happened to go through them and make it to the camera.

Anyway, photography isn't OPs goal. He's only using the Mini camera for live view.

Controlling striping with shutter speed can be difficult to do. The props themselves act as a shutter. To specify a specific shutter speed in video and maintain proper exposure, you need ND filters, but there aren't any suitable ones for Mini. To make things worse, the prop speed won't be static, otherwise you could sync the shutter speed with the prop with an exact integer multiple.

We had a similar problem with Phantoms where the props tended to chop ambient light when the light source happened to go through them and make it to the camera.

Anyway, photography isn't OPs goal. He's only using the Mini camera for live view.
It was only a suggestion! ?

I also know about the syncing of the props v shutter speed hence the suggestion to try it, there are likely to be some better settings than others inc auto which may not be the best. Being difficult is not a reason not to try it as is the likely need for ND filters, I’m sure the OP can fabricate as appropriate if it’s going to help!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78