DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Council Drone Bye-Laws

Tarmactripper

Reactions
My local paper recently published a list of of things contained in a so called Drone Bye Law, of my local coucil, which included a written request to fly, a risk assesment in writing, madatory insurance cover, drone size and weight, and purpose of flight, and a list of council land to which these applied ( mainly parks and recreational areas ) No signage or warnings in place. So to that end I requested a copy of the bye-law, by way of the Freedom Of Information Act, I said it was needed so as to present a legal challenge to the bye-law as the air space was controlled by the C.C.A and not by the Council. 6 weeks passed but today I had a very interesting phone call from the Council Solicitor. After trying to blind side me with legal argument, he was soon made aware by myself as to my considerable aviation knowledge, in resect of C.C.A regulations, Air Traffic Acts and the drone code, flight restriction zones , Notams etc which was more than he had. Below I incude his written response.

Just as anside, with regard to the police, such action is carried out when an Antisocial Behaviour Order is in force, and becomes a criminal offence if the order is broken, and after due process initially at Magistrates Court. That didn't frighten me either. I thoroughly agree, that there are privacy concerns and such, but as a responsble pilot,, i take these into consideration. I would recommend that hobbyist fliers research if such asbos are applicable in their area of operation, the scope of likely scenerios for asbo's is emense, however I have yet to read or hear of one

1688570762483.png

My local paper recently published a list of of things contained in a so called Drone Bye Law, of my local coucil, which included a written request to fly, a risk assesment in writing, madatory insurance cover, drone size and weight, and purpose of flight, and a list of council land to which these applied ( mainly parks and recreational areas ) No signage or warnings in place. So to that end I requested a copy of the bye-law, by way of the Freedom Of Information Act, I said it was needed so as to present a legal challenge to the bye-law as the air space was controlled by the C.C.A and not by the Council. 6 weeks passed but today I had a very interesting phone call from the Council Solicitor. After trying to blind side me with legal argument, he was soon made aware by myself as to my considerable aviation knowledge, in resect of C.C.A regulations, Air Traffic Acts and the drone code, flight restriction zones , Notams etc which was more than he had. Below I incude his written response.

Just as anside, with regard to the police, such action is carried out when an Antisocial Behaviour Order is in force, and becomes a criminal offence if the order is broken, and after due process initially at Magistrates Court. That didn't frighten me either. I thoroughly agree, that there are privacy concerns and such, but as a responsble pilot,, i take these into consideration. I would recommend that hobbyist fliers research if such asbos are applicable in their area of operation, the scope of likely scenerios for asbo's is emense, however I have yet to read or hear of one

View attachment 165860
The "request to fly" is blatant cheek. They can only insist on a request to take off and land from council administered land. Flight is the exclusive territory of the CAA. The ASBO threat is one I haven't come across before. Very vague and generic law that can cover everything from shouting to wearing an offensive shirt.

The "request to fly" is blatant cheek. They can only insist on a request to take off and land from council administered land. Flight is the exclusive territory of the CAA. The ASBO threat is one I haven't come across before. Very vague and generic law that can cover everything from shouting to wearing an offensive shirt.
Agreed, anything they don't like could be covered by an ASBO, but if your aware of them, and the proceedures involved, then your knowledgeable and as someone once said '' knowledge is power'' thanks for the response

Uuum I would check whether or not the letter "written response" is "Privileged correspondence". I seem to remember that if it is there would be something on the paperwork saying so.
If it is you might be as well as to remove the quotation.

Last edited:
Uuum I would check whether or not the letter is "Privileged correspondence". I seem to remember that if it is there would be something on the paperwork saying so.
Really is that all it takes, for the letter to be "stamped." There doesn't have to actually exist some sort of professional relationship? Does the law define what are private, protected relationship or is pretty much anybody you have a legal discussion with?

My vote is for full government transparency.

Reactions: Tarmactripper
Really is that all it takes, for the letter to be "stamped." There doesn't have to actually exist some sort of professional relationship? Does the law define what are private, protected relationship or is pretty much anybody you have a legal discussion with?

My vote is for full government transparency.
Are you familiar with UK legal correspondance?

Reactions: Torque
Uuum I would check whether or not the letter is "Privileged correspondence". I seem to remember that if it is there would be something on the paperwork saying so.
no such indication yorkshire pud, i checked, i may be old but i'm not stupid

I got to ask, what is "Democry"? Last line of the opening post "Law & Democry".

View attachment 165860
An absolute home run! Thanks for your expert handling of the situation!! Jeff/Annapolis, MD

Reactions: Tarmactripper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13