DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couple of Air vs. Pro questions

mjbok

Reactions
My story:

Had the very first Phantom. Was good for what it was, but very lacking. Stepped out of the hobby for a beat, then got a Typhoon 4k. Sold that and got a Typhoon H.

About a month ago I was looking for a "throw in a bag, disposable, but not awful type drone" so I picked up a Spark. Got the Fly More bundle for 350. It's alright, but there are so nagging issues I have with it (OTG stuff not working, range, 2 axis gimbal, some functions not supported in DJI Go, etc.).

I'm thinking about giving my Spark to a buddy that has a lot of land and does lots of camping. Would work great for him and is "enough" drone for him. In doing so I need to get another (cheaper) drone. I've thought about the Mavic Pro and can get it for the same price that the Air will be (799), but also thinking about waiting on the Evo, especially if the Air moves that price down a shade.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the Air support Waypoints in the DJI app? This is a big short coming (to me) with the Spark. I wanted to get before/after shots of the snow we've gotten and with Waypoints I could get nearly the exact same shots day after day.

2. Is it just better to get a Pro for 799?

3. Should I just wait to see what happens with the Evo? I like the demos I've seen of it and the ability to fly it easily without a phone/tablet is very appealing to me.

Thoughts?

It depends on what your needs are. The Air is good for many but not all. The Pro is a different class in my opinion. If you want a rock solid connection via Occusync, then you want the Mavic Pro. To some the WiFi the Air has will be enough. It has a lot of tech packed in it but I feel the price is $100 too high in my opinion. If you wait for the EVO you may wait forever. Only prototypes exist and there is no release date given. I don't even think it is production ready but I could be wrong. I have adopted an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude with Autel these days.

Got the answer to 1: Yes it does. However it doesn't support many of the modes the Mavic Pro does. Questions two and three still are out there for anyone to chime in.

It depends on what your needs are. The Air is good for many but not all. The Pro is a different class in my opinion. If you want a rock solid connection via Occusync, then you want the Mavic Pro. To some the WiFi the Air has will be enough. It has a lot of tech packed in it but I feel the price is $100 too high in my opinion. If you wait for the EVO you may wait forever. Only prototypes exist and there is no release date given. I don't even think it is production ready but I could be wrong. I have adopted an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude with Autel these days.

Isn't that what happened with the original Mavic Pro? Was delayed, etc?

Kind of regret my Spark purchase at this point, but I got it so cheap it's not a big deal. Fun to fly, but range is awful which (since the Air is also wifi) is making me kind of iffy on it.

Should I just wait to see what happens with the Evo? I like the demos I've seen of it and the ability to fly it easily without a phone/tablet is very appealing to me.
How does this differ from the Mavic?

Isn't that what happened with the original Mavic Pro? Was delayed, etc?

Kind of regret my Spark purchase at this point, but I got it so cheap it's not a big deal. Fun to fly, but range is awful which (since the Air is also wifi) is making me kind of iffy on it.
The Mavic did have a short delay in getting them to market but they did it fairly quickly. It was a new design and they had no idea it would become their number one seller. Autel, on the other hand, released one model in 2016 and that was it. In that time they have made one major app update and one major firmware update. They have not even had stock of the one drone they do sell. Last year at CES they made all sorts of promises and showed gear that never came to market. Now they are going all EVO so the XSP appears to be dead. The company has had issues and layoffs. I would love to see them bring the EVO to market but at the snail's pace that they move, the Mavic Pro II will be out and steal their thunder.

Without a tablet you have no visual of what your camera sees on the Mavic. You have a camera image and telemetry built into the controller for the Evo.
Ah you're talking about the Evo controller with the large 3" display. Now I understand

Got the answer to 1: Yes it does. However it doesn't support many of the modes the Mavic Pro does. Questions two and three still are out there for anyone to chime in.

Source for that answer?

Also, I REALLY hope Litchi supports it for "proper" waypoint planning.

Reactions: nheilwei
Ah you're talking about the Evo controller with the large 3" display. Now I understand
I cant find any pics now but at CES there was a huge, maybe 10" TX for the EVO shown.
Here is the standard version they showed...

images

I cant find any pics now but at CES there was a huge, maybe 10" TX for the EVO shown.
Here is the standard version they showed...

images
I assume the 10" would be an accessory?

I am sure it is a hefty add-on. I assume it would use a cable between the TX & device live the standard TX for the EVO does.
I don't see any wired connection

upload_2018-1-23_21-57-1.png

My story:

Had the very first Phantom. Was good for what it was, but very lacking. Stepped out of the hobby for a beat, then got a Typhoon 4k. Sold that and got a Typhoon H.

About a month ago I was looking for a "throw in a bag, disposable, but not awful type drone" so I picked up a Spark. Got the Fly More bundle for 350. It's alright, but there are so nagging issues I have with it (OTG stuff not working, range, 2 axis gimbal, some functions not supported in DJI Go, etc.).

I'm thinking about giving my Spark to a buddy that has a lot of land and does lots of camping. Would work great for him and is "enough" drone for him. In doing so I need to get another (cheaper) drone. I've thought about the Mavic Pro and can get it for the same price that the Air will be (799), but also thinking about waiting on the Evo, especially if the Air moves that price down a shade.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the Air support Waypoints in the DJI app? This is a big short coming (to me) with the Spark. I wanted to get before/after shots of the snow we've gotten and with Waypoints I could get nearly the exact same shots day after day.

2. Is it just better to get a Pro for 799?

3. Should I just wait to see what happens with the Evo? I like the demos I've seen of it and the ability to fly it easily without a phone/tablet is very appealing to me.

Thoughts?

Here are the modes of the Mavic Pro NOT supported in the Mavic Air:
Fixed-Wing mode
Terrain Follow
Course Lock
Home Lock
WAYPOINTS
Follow Me
Portrait mode
Dynamic Home point
x2 digital zoom
Cannot control exposure with the wheel.