DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash on waypoint mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shb

Reactions
Today I flew my 3rd version of a new waypoint mission. It ended up doing a RTH. I noticed that there was no video(black). So after it landed I saw the lens protector was missing, there was some vegetation on the gimbal at 2 propellers were damaged. I watched the video, and found that I set the altitude too low when the terrain was rising. So it was clearly my mistake. The only thing I don't understand is why the obstacle avoidance didn't seem to work. There was a small area of the tree with branches without leaves, but it mainly had leaves. I had the obstacle avoidance turned off, but that shouldn't matter on a waypoint mission.
I emailed DJI, but they haven't replied yet.
After I turned the drone off, and back on, it seemed to be ok. There was video and no error messages. The gimbal moved freely in all directions. So if I'm lucky I won't send it in.
Tomorrow I will go look for the lens protecter under the tree. If I can't find it, I can use a ND filter until I get a new one. The crash is around the 5 minute mark of the video.

20231214_114332.jpg

Interesting flight. I’m surprised the power lines didn’t take it out at 4:11 and 4:48
You mentioned that you noticed the damage after you landed. So, after it flew into the tree, you were able to fly it back to home point???

Reactions: DougMcC
Perhaps the junction of Tomas St and Pabalan/Andrew St, Angeles, Central Luzon, Philippines, AMSL=102.4m, to 282 Don Juico Ave, AMSL=135m ?
2.76 km?
If I can work it out so too can the Philippines Civil Aviation Authority.

Last edited:
I have no idea how you survived that flight as far as you did. You missed multiple sets of wires by a foot or two at the most. Are you crazy or is this just a satire video. Don't show that video to DJI, they'll cancel your care/refresh right away. Accident waiting to happen, and probably not a very long wait.

Reactions: Nbw
Lets be clear about this. When you do not enable your obstacle avoidance, it is OFF. Yes, even on a waypoint mission. This isn't the first time the matter has come up here. Sometimes when you plan a waypoint mission and then go out and fly it, you have neglected to survey the site and have unintentionally instructed your drone to fly into an obstacle. If you fly the mission without obstacle avoidance turned on, you are essentially instructing your drone to crash into whatever you failed to understand is in the way. It is just following your instructions. You are darn lucky to still have your drone intact.

Just stop. Before you hurt someone. You are too arrogant and irresponsible to continue. As stated in another thread - SELL all your drone equipment and take up crocheting.

Reactions: macawman7 and Starz
Angeles, Wow! I was there in 75-77. Man has it grown. Thank you for the video if only to see Angeles as it is now.

1702582906337.png

You might want to give up waypoint missions

Reactions: GadgetGuy
From a previous post in another thread from the OP.
I don’t believe any comments will alter what we see and read.
To each his own I guess. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Two things I worry about, are electrical wires, and these little kids flying homemade kites, which would definitely be the end of my drone, if it got caught on a string. The kids have also thrown stones at me several times. I want to fly as low as possible because it looks better. I like coming as close as I can to obstacles.

Two things I worry about, are electrical wires, and these little kids flying homemade kites, which would definitely be the end of my drone, if it got caught on a string. The kids have also thrown stones at me several times. I want to fly as low as possible because it looks better. I like coming as close as I can to obstacles.
Sounds like a troll

I think, going by the insulators, some of the cables he narrowly misses are HT, are they?
Since there's no circuit to earth for an airborn contact I doubt the results of a drone collision would produce sparks but I could be wrong, and they could be interesting. Kites would be and have been, an entirely different matter.

Last edited:
I would have paused the drone and cancelled the mission way before you crashed.

Is this directed at me?
Pretty sure it wasn't, but it was a bit ambiguous.
He was likely responding to the quoted content from the OP that you included without quotes.

"Two things I worry about, are electrical wires, and these little kids flying homemade kites, which would definitely be the end of my drone, if it got caught on a string. The kids have also thrown stones at me several times. I want to fly as low as possible because it looks better. I like coming as close as I can to obstacles."

Interesting flight. I’m surprised the power lines didn’t take it out at 4:11 and 4:48
You mentioned that you noticed the damage after you landed. So, after it flew into the tree, you were able to fly it back to home point???
It miraculously flew back by itself. Shows how good DJI drones are. Yes, hitting one of those wires would been a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne