DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed drone problem with obstacle Avoidance

mmpatierno

Reactions
I crashed my M2z into a short concrete wall. Wasn’t going too fast so the drone superficially looked fine, the props needed replacing but it flew, recorded and came home perfectly.

But I’m getting a obstacle avoidance error message even when the drone is not near any obstacles. Is this something I can try to fix on my own or should I send the drone in for repair? How bad is it for me to keep flying?

I crashed my M2z into a short concrete wall. Wasn’t going too fast so the drone superficially looked fine, the props needed replacing but it flew, recorded and came home perfectly.

But I’m getting a obstacle avoidance error message even when the drone is not near any obstacles. Is this something I can try to fix on my own or should I send the drone in for repair? How bad is it for me to keep flying?

Hello and welcome! Sorry to hear of this, the best suggestion I’ve seen here is to recalibrate the sensors first then carefully test it again. That’s probably all you should try by yourself before returning it. Also post the flight data file here to get help reviewing them for errors. Good luck!

I would do the recalibration as stated above, but also visually check the sensors to make sure none are damaged or have anything blocking their "view".

Reactions: AMann
Same thing happened. Obstacle avoidance error but there was no obstacles during flight. After this error message I decided to fly back. I Was devastated. Milo (mavic air onyx) had its mind of its own. As I come to land on my roof it started to yaw right slowly towards next door's wall with out me pressing anything? Like supper slow motion collision.. I was pulling back and trying to fly milo the other way but I had no control? It kept yawing right towards the wall. I then turned the Drone to face the wall hopping the sensors would stop it. Horrifically with a numbing tingling sensation watching Milo propellers scratching the wall then falling down headfirst with its back scraping down the wall, lucky after changing the props it still works. I am going to recalibrate the sensors before flight.

But the thought of not having control (Glitch) is so scary. Please can we make this topic recognised to the developers for assistance
IMG_20190202_174549.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190203_003614_dji.go.v4.jpg
    Screenshot_20190203_003614_dji.go.v4.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 93
Same thing happened. Obstacle avoidance error but there was no obstacles during flight. After this error message I decided to fly back. I Was devastated. Milo (mavic air onyx) had its mind of its own. As I come to land on my roof it started to yaw right slowly towards next door's wall with out me pressing anything? Like supper slow motion collision.. I was pulling back and trying to fly milo the other way but I had no control? It kept yawing right towards the wall. I then turned the Drone to face the wall hopping the sensors would stop it. Horrifically with a numbing tingling sensation watching Milo propellers scratching the wall then falling down headfirst with its back scraping down the wall, lucky after changing the props it still works. I am going to recalibrate the sensors before flight.

But the thought of not having control (Glitch) is so scary. Please can we make this topic recognised to the developers for assistance

You Just described my first outdoor flight with my Mavic 2 Pro. I was out my back garden. It is walled but a large space. While bringing it in at one point to hover at a low level before landing on my decking. I got Obstical alerts on the phone screen. The drone would not move back forward or left and right. As it hovered it slowly started to drift towards the wall of my house. A drift forward and to to the dones right. My left at the time. I realised I was able to turn or increase altitude. I tried turning the drone to drift back into the Garden but it would not and continued its course. So I tried to fly up over the house. But midway up it hit into the wall.

Broke all 4 props, scratched a battery casing and the camera bottom. Luckily not the lens. I do have the flight logs coppied off for the day just encase. Afterwards I had to connect my M2P up to the PC to a firmware update as the over the air from the Gofly 4 app always fail's with a server connection error. It hasnt happend since when I fly from my garden. So I am hopping it was a firmware bug.

You Just described my first outdoor flight with my Mavic 2 Pro. I was out my back garden. It is walled but a large space. While bringing it in at one point to hover at a low level before landing on my decking. I got Obstical alerts on the phone screen. The drone would not move back forward or left and right. As it hovered it slowly started to drift towards the wall of my house. A drift forward and to to the dones right. My left at the time. I realised I was able to turn or increase altitude. I tried turning the drone to drift back into the Garden but it would not and continued its course. So I tried to fly up over the house. But midway up it hit into the wall.

Broke all 4 props, scratched a battery casing and the camera bottom. Luckily not the lens. I do have the flight logs coppied off for the day just encase. Afterwards I had to connect my M2P up to the PC to a firmware update as the over the air from the Gofly 4 app always fail's with a server connection error. It hasnt happend since when I fly from my garden. So I am hopping it was a firmware bug.
This also almost happened to me, but luckily I was able to switch over to sport mode and land it safely. I have the expo set up nicely to help with the small movements needed.

View attachment 61609

My understanding (or really, just assumption, but it makes sense) is that the warning you got has to do with a high attitude automatically disabling obstacle avoidance since the aircraft is not level. I get it from time to time, but only when I’m either in high wind conditions (in which case I bring it back down when I recognize that) or when flying at higher speeds (Edit: I originally said in sport mode but then remembered OA is disabled in that mode anyway). I don’t think it’s a malfunction or really anything to worry about (although if it’s wind-related, it’s time to come down) since those conditions should only happen in open sky.

But something else seems to have happened in your case to make it fly into the wall. Of course, the Air has no side obstacle sensors, so they wouldn’t have avoided a side impact anyway. Have you downloaded the log to see what it shows? Is it possible you lost GPS and the wind blew it sideways? Without GPS the Vision system might help under the right conditions to avoid that, but the ground may not have had enough of a pattern for that to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sniperfritz

View attachment 61609

Following up on this because this is a troubling issue. I still think the obstacle avoidance errors are unrelated and just have to do with a high attitude (which is something to be aware of but not per se a problem), but I'd like to know what caused your crash. Can you upload your logs so the experts can analyze this? Maybe post in the General Discussion forum?

But something else seems to have happened in your case to make it fly into the wall. Of course, the Air has no side obstacle sensors, so they wouldn’t have avoided a side impact anyway. Have you downloaded the log to see what it shows? Is it possible you lost GPS and the wind blew it sideways? Without GPS the Vision system might help under the right conditions to avoid that, but the ground may not have had enough of a pattern for that to work.

Yes, if close to something large, you could lose some GPS strength, have magnetic interference, AND with wind, if it is blowing from the other side of the large obstacle, there could be a low pressure system on the leeward side.

This happened to me a few months ago, first crash since owning the MP about 2 years.
When I watch this it seems like slow motion :/

I wanted a close shot and got too close, my mistake for sure.
You can see the panic at 1:20 :)

Only lost a set of props, had a gimbal repair done in Melbourne (Australia) as I was heading there on a drive, seems as good as new again thankfully.
This drone seems to fly perfectly, and shoots ok video.

Last edited:
This may sound daft but why did you get so close when you have the mp2 zoom. Could you not have just zoomed in????? Anyway how you get it sorted out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer