DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed in ocean Waikiki - recovered after 30 minutes..

On multiple occasions, I had flown Mavic Pro in rain for 10-20 mins a time. Afterward the drone is kept powered on until battery dies. Never had an issue afterward.

You got lucky! Also rain water is basically distilled water therefore is much less conductive than salt water or water from a lake or river

Check the WiFi switch.

That is the perfect way to fry your electronics!! Water and electricity don't mix!! What you should do is remove the battery as soon as possible to avoid a short circuit. If you drop it in the sea you should keep the drone in salty water (put it in a bucket or something) until you are able to rinse it with fresh water, after you get rid of the salt you need to get rid of the fresh water with something that displace water (wd40 or isopropile alcohol); as soon as it starts to dry the salt will corrode and oxidase everything it touches. Corrosion (also called OXIdation) does not need moisture, it need oxygen and keeping it in water will prevent the oxygen to interact with the salt and the metals. This is the reason why when they recover anything form the sea (airplane black boxes, archeological finds and so on) they keep them in salt water until they are able to properly rinse and dry them.

You must be kidding -- corrosion could happen in the absence of H_2 O ? !

See below the example of Fe corrosion. Salt can only facilitate corrosion if there is water.

--

corrosion.jpeg

Dji has also added the pretty pink dot when the AC gets wet just like your cell phones.

Attachments

• 20171206_123715.jpg
    20171206_123715.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20171206_123656.jpg
    20171206_123656.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50
I guess it was bound to happen but I was tracking a surfer about 500-600 yards offshore and it took a swim. 7 months of flying Mavic and 6 months of drone flying before this so you’d think I would know the controls by now....operator error.

Anyway, ran back to hotel grabbed snorkel gear and went swimming - found it! Upside down in a sandy patch. Back to hotel and Lots of cleaning with distilled water and blow drying. Hours later it does the start up and gimbal checks ok but the controller can not connect. I tried remind the controller but nothing. Looks like a dji refresh but I hope they cover operator error as they advertise...

Well DJI refresh came through. The bottleneck as reported before is the UPS Ground shipping. 6 days to get there and 5 to get it back. They only had it one day to say "yeah it's broke, pay $79 and you'll get another".

Well DJI refresh came through. The bottleneck as reported before is the UPS Ground shipping. 6 days to get there and 5 to get it back. They only had it one day to say "yeah it's broke, pay $79 and you'll get another".

I spoke too soon...gimbal issue and almost no range. The jerkiness of the gimbal (everything seated correctly) and only 200 yards before getting a strong interference. I remember on the original the gimbal was sticking a bit in the beginning. I put a little graphite powder at the hinges and it was good after that. Range is another issue. It’s weird as it’s a large field behind my house and I never had the strong interference issue. I’ll bring a P4P home from work tomorrow and see if that experiences any signal issues.

Ahh yes thats what I had to do flew under a bridge very little room left the sensors on stupid rooky mistake it wouldnt let me out thought there was an obstical couldnt turn anything off too busy flying hit top of bridge kerplunk!
Ouch, that is painful to watch. Glad I turned off all my sensors on my risky little flight under this pier in Martinique a few weeks ago

Full video of trip (photos, gopro, and lots of drone footage spliced together)

This is funny man I was way too scared to fly that close to waves for that reason here my footage from Hawaii during the pro Surf!!!! Oh yeah at 5 min mark I crashed into a tree and it never fell!!! It chipped down some branches and manage to hover in the tree

Reactions: Rogat19
Ouch, that is painful to watch. Glad I turned off all my sensors on my risky little flight under this pier in Martinique a few weeks ago

Full video of trip (photos, gopro, and lots of drone footage spliced together)
yeah good one although you wouldn’t of had a problem anyway all of it’s open no walls over 6 foot clearance ahoy 8 foot to fly thru, mine was 18 inches max clearance cement either side 6 lanes of traffic to fly under i really set myself up to fail more fool me haha

I spoke too soon...gimbal issue and almost no range. The jerkiness of the gimbal (everything seated correctly) and only 200 yards before getting a strong interference. I remember on the original the gimbal was sticking a bit in the beginning. I put a little graphite powder at the hinges and it was good after that. Range is another issue. It’s weird as it’s a large field behind my house and I never had the strong interference issue. I’ll bring a P4P home from work tomorrow and see if that experiences any signal issues.

The DJI Refresh Mavic has no range. I get 250 - 300 meters away and loose the video signal. I landed it and flew a P4P and flew over a mile with no issue. I’ll be calling them tomorrow but as others have found the QA sucks at DJI.

I bought a crashed mavic that had the leg snapped off, I looked at the antenna PCB & they hadn't stripped the cable, they had just soldered over the PVC, I'm wondering if I should check the others because I also get poor range even with a Titan Atlas

Reactions: Skrems

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229