DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed Mavic Pro in dense bush/jungle - please help! Flight log linked

che

Reactions
Hello, I crashed my DJI Mavic Pro this evening in a dense bush/jungle area after it hit a tree presumably. I wasn’t aware of the Find My Drone feature so I went looking for it by following the flight path on my iPhone but since it was getting very dark, I didn’t have any luck. I plan on going there again in the morning and after seeing some posts, already uploaded the flight record of the crashed flight. Could someone please help me understand what I should be doing and looking for when I am at the crashed site?

Flight log link: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HWCBDPKXC851CF4OX4TF/ 1

I have the last recorded GPS coordinates and plan on following them but what if the drone is stuck on a tree or something? The trees in that area are very high! I tried flying the drone again after it crashed but received messages of “Gimbal Overload” and “drone rolled over”.

An additional problem that is somewhat unrelated to the search is that there is very likely going to be water issues with the drone in the morning due to the moist atmosphere and dew. Would you happen to know if Mavic has some level of waterproof protection? Would the rice bag trick work for the drone like it does for the cameras?

Thanks so much for your help and guidance!

Hello, I crashed my DJI Mavic Pro this evening in a dense bush/jungle area after it hit a tree presumably. I wasn’t aware of the Find My Drone feature so I went looking for it by following the flight path on my iPhone but since it was getting very dark, I didn’t have any luck. I plan on going there again in the morning and after seeing some posts, already uploaded the flight record of the crashed flight. Could someone please help me understand what I should be doing and looking for when I am at the crashed site?

I have the last recorded GPS coordinates and plan on following them but what if the drone is stuck on a tree or something? The trees in that area are very high! I tried flying the drone again after it crashed but received messages of “Gimbal Overload” and “drone rolled over”.

An additional problem that is somewhat unrelated to the search is that there is very likely going to be water issues with the drone in the morning due to the moist atmosphere and dew. Would you happen to know if Mavic has some level of waterproof protection? Would the rice bag trick work for the drone like it does for the cameras?

BTW, here are 2 .DAT files if someone would please help and let me know whether the drone is likely to be on the ground v/s up on a tree!

Fly022 is the last actual flight during which the drone crashed.

Fly023 is my attempt at getting the drone to get back up after it had crashed. I still had remote control, drone and iPhone connection going. It apparently made a record of that too. Unfortunately, it was getting too dark and it wasn't possible to head into deep bush at that hour.

I've looked through the GPS coordinates on both of these files - they are roughly in the same location and the "Find My Drone" coordinates are also roughly the same. Having said that, it's a thick bush with giant trees so will be a challenge for sure. Hoping someone with more experience and knowledge on this can kindly guide a noob recover his precious drone :)

Attachments

• 2021-01-01_17-38-17_FLY022.DAT
    9.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 2021-01-01_18-09-42_FLY023.DAT
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Looking at the height difference (according Google Earth) between your HP & crash location ... the crash location is approx +10m higher. The TXT log ends when the motor stops & then the the log indicate a height above HP of 24,5m (so 14,5m above ground level).

In the DAT log on the other hand, we can see more as that log runs until power down ... that shows that the height (red graph) drops down to around -2m 504sec into the flight after the motors stops briefly at 498,5sec. So the AC likely fell down from the tree & are now on ground level.

The last position indicated in all 3 logs you have attached is:

Lat: 18,9362
Lon: 98,8202

(Click on the chart to make it larger)

1609542553639.png

Reactions: BudWalker
Looking at the height difference (according Google Earth) between your HP & crash location ... the crash location is approx +10m higher. The TXT log ends when the motor stops & then the the log indicate a height above HP of 24,5m (so 14,5m above ground level).

In the DAT log on the other hand, we can see more as that log runs until power down ... that shows that the height (red graph) drops down to around -2m 504sec into the flight after the motors stops briefly at 498,5sec. So the AC likely fell down from the tree & are now on ground level.

The last position indicated in all 3 logs you have attached is:

Lat: 18,9362
Lon: 98,8202

(Click on the chart to make it larger)

View attachment 120592
He posted the same incident over on phantomhelp
Crashed Mavic Pro in dense bush/jungle - please help! Flight log linked
I came to the conclusion that the MP is 32 meters above ground. Google Earth says the elevation is 1308 meters and the GPS info from the MP says it’s elevation is 1340 meters.

The pilot was trying to restart the motors and the MP reset the relativeHeight. That's the abrupt drop seen at 504 secs in the relativeHeight.

504.120 : 26673 [L-RC]rc cmd:STD_ASSI_TAKEOFF
504.140 : 26674 [L-FMU/MOTOR]Start. reason:REQ_RC_NORMAL
504.140 : 26674 [L-PWM]set actuator mode:CTRL
504.143 : 26674 [L-FLYMODE][Ctrl<2>] REQ_RC_COMMAND ENGINE_START ctrl_engine_start
504.143 : 26674 [L-FMU/FSM]state changed. cur: on ground
504.144 : 26674 [L-FDI]tilt when motor on = 1.071081, static flag = 0
504.159 : 26675 [L-IMU]set imu switch level = 8
504.160 : 26675 [L-TAKEOFF]alti: 1306.540771 tors: 162.655853

the best way to retrieve a drone....Is not to fly into trees ? That´s what I do ?
The video was quite informative and also funny and I had some good laughts..thanks for all the tipps ?
cheers Paul

Reactions: Mrmund

Did you ever retrieve your Mavic ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya