DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed, now gimbal is obstructed

c_banks

Reactions
I had my first flight yesterday on my Mavic Pro and one of the propellers wasn't locked in all the way. Before the drone got 3ft off the ground the propellor flew off and the mavic crashed.

I now get that awful "gimbal motor overlad" warning when the gimbal tries to calibrate. It seems the gimbal can tilt up and down but it's not turning left and right.

There are no signs of physical damage from what I can tell, but I'm not a DJI Technician :) Photos below

Here's a video of what it does on startup as well

32170-bbc05e53d80336f7bfeed588d4623d0a.jpg
32169-a70a2aa95a2e342d70b40d260d01e8d0.jpg
32168-49095c0235d0ef794f035e924af74c9a.jpg
32167-0b2d1f408c743ccd4c29916dac7ca395.jpg
32166-e286d49ef7eac2e263d7816e41e88d4e.jpg
32165-b273c4e4ee5f47242d734b308f73638d.jpg

Do you think there's anything I can to fix or should I have DJI repair it? (I'm signed up for DJI Care)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this--worst nightmare for new drone owner--crash on first flight. I had a similar gimbal problem after some leaves and dust blew up into the camera area on a low flight. I think it was caused by dust getting into some of the moving parts, making it hard for the gimbal to move. You might try a photographer's camel hair brush (for cleaning dust off lenses) or blowing air into some of the moving parts--I think that's what finally solved the problem for me. Not a blast of air, but try to get any dust out. Also, look at the DJI tutorial video that discusses making sure the gimbal is properly seated, on the DJI site. Hope this helps.

Sad had my Mavic now for nine months no crashes always check and do a retest check on everything before age lift off and very sorry there’s third-party places that can fix it if you do not want to deal with DGI

Reactions: drw52jc
BTW, I think it's not recommended to turn the MP on with the arms folded. In the video your gimbal is facing down when you turn it on--I've never seen that on mine Have you tried manually repositioning it to face forward before turning on? I'm not expert, just thinking out loud. Others on the forum may have better ideas.

BTW, I think it's not recommended to turn the MP on with the arms folded. In the video your gimbal is facing down when you turn it on--I've never seen that on mine Have you tried manually repositioning it to face forward before turning on? I'm not expert, just thinking out loud. Others on the forum may have better ideas.

Seems like the downward position is it's "I give up" position, and yeah I've tried manually positioning it to no avail

I can’t tell from the pictures but some times a crash will make the gimbal mount “unseat” the plate has to be under tabs on the Mavic frame and sometimes the plate gets out from under the tabs. Take a good hard look the the plate the gimbal mounts too.

I had my first flight yesterday on my Mavic Pro and one of the propellers wasn't locked in all the way. Before the drone got 3ft off the ground the propellor flew off and the mavic crashed.

I now get that awful "gimbal motor overlad" warning when the gimbal tries to calibrate. It seems the gimbal can tilt up and down but it's not turning left and right.

There are no signs of physical damage from what I can tell, but I'm not a DJI Technician :) Photos below

Here's a video of what it does on startup as well

32170-bbc05e53d80336f7bfeed588d4623d0a.jpg
32169-a70a2aa95a2e342d70b40d260d01e8d0.jpg
32168-49095c0235d0ef794f035e924af74c9a.jpg
32167-0b2d1f408c743ccd4c29916dac7ca395.jpg
32166-e286d49ef7eac2e263d7816e41e88d4e.jpg
32165-b273c4e4ee5f47242d734b308f73638d.jpg

Do you think there's anything I can to fix or should I have DJI repair it? (I'm signed up for DJI Care)
So have you physically rotated each parts of the Gimbal and camera to make sure that you not feeling any kind of resistance because it could just be something lodged in there and as was mentioned before we could brush or something to get the dust out might help. From what I'm looking at in the one picture it kind of looks like it's in the right position on the plate so I don't know if that's the problem but of course there is that totally dreaded other part with damaged ribbon cable which is a possibility mine actually dropped less than a foot and I was getting gimbal errors but this was back in the beginning where you would just sneeze and the Gimbels just seem to die

some times a crash will make the gimbal mount “unseat” the plate has to be under tabs on the Mavic frame and sometimes the plate gets out from under the tabs. Take a good hard look the the plate the gimbal mounts too.

This is a good point. I've never been able to discern exactly what is meant by making sure the plate is under the tabs, even after watching the DJI tutorial that talks about it. On my MP I can't really see the tabs, but after I had gimbal problems, I was getting jittery video, and it seemed like the gimbal was just dangling from the elastic bands, so I fussed with the plate a bit, trying to make sure it was mounted properly, and something I did fixed the problem. Another problem I was experiencing at that time was that the back of the camera would rub on something when the camera was pointed down. Whatever I did in messing around fixed that too!

So have you physically rotated each parts of the Gimbal and camera to make sure that you not feeling any kind of resistance because it could just be something lodged in there and as was mentioned before we could brush or something to get the dust out might help. From what I'm looking at in the one picture it kind of looks like it's in the right position on the plate so I don't know if that's the problem but of course there is that totally dreaded other part with damaged ribbon cable which is a possibility mine actually dropped less than a foot and I was getting gimbal errors but this was back in the beginning where you would just sneeze and the Gimbels just seem to die

Yeah the gimbal seems to be placed correctly. I sent DJI the video I linked and they believe its a hardware malfunction, I'll have to send it in for repairs

Quick update: I've sent DJI the photos and video linked to this thread - they believe its a hardware issue and requested me to send it in. I'll update you guys on the actual issue and price quote they give me. Thanks for helping out!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll