DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed today

Apvie

Reactions
Well new to the mavic, 2 weeks in. Started out slow, beginner mode. Then went to P mode with great results. Finally I decided to try sport mode. Different aircraft. Crashed into my building with catastrophic results. Going to find out about the refresh program I purchased.

In sport mode you can get going much faster than you think. Covering more ground than normal,and yes,the stopping power is greatly reduced! Also if using the screen for flying at far range,and you see something pop up in the view,your prouably gonna hit it,and your going in! Also the OA dosen't work above 20mph,and it will never see a small limb,or power line.

Reactions: Apvie
Well new to the mavic, 2 weeks in. Started out slow, beginner mode. Then went to P mode with great results. Finally I decided to try sport mode. Different aircraft. Crashed into my building with catastrophic results. Going to find out about the refresh program I purchased.

Sorry about your crash mate.
You learnt the hard way.

New pilots suould take their time to familiarise flying forward backwards, inner circle outr corcle, squred inside etc.

Never set in P until you know how the aircraft behaves. Remember if you need to emergency stop press the pause button

Reactions: BigEegit
I wouldn't say it takes 4-6 weeks. I don't have the refresh. I might get it once my mp comes back on Tues. I had a gimbal issue and sent it in on July 12th and it's being shipped back on Sept 1st. So 2-3 weeks without care.

Realistically will take from 4 to 6 weeks mínimum

First off, I feel your pain. I did virtually the exact same thing. Inattentive for a moment in sport mode and "wham!". Camera dangling. This was on July 1st (a Saturday) and I was leaving in 10 days for a two week vacation where I planned to fly... a lot.

Second, I too heard from folks in this forum claiming doom to any prospect of receiving my mp back within 4-6 weeks. Don't let them get you down, my experience was completely different. I received my mp back from DJI within 9 days of crashing (Saturday, July 2nd) and 5 of those days were either weekend days or a major US Holiday.

Here are my tips.

Consider finding the "Refresh Express" option when you go online to make your service request (or whatever they call it) with DJI.

"Refresh Express" will avoid DJI needlessly assessing the damage and sending you a quote. They just send you a new bird when received. Keep in mind that this goes against your one of two refresh replacements. If you want them to take the time to assess the damage and send you an invoice so you can decide whether to replace it at repair cost or use your one of two replacements, don't use "Refresh Express".

If you want "Refresh Express" but can't find it on the website, call CS. They cannot change it to a "Refresh Express" after you set it up and send it in as a regular service.

Regardless of whether you go with a standard service or "Refresh Express", write "Refresh" in big black letters next to the UPS label. A DJI employee told me that was part of the initial sort after delivery.

Do everything they ask on the repair slip you will get from the website. I did not send a battery but did send the controller (which I received back). Include the receipt and print out of the repair page they give you from the website when you set up for a service (has a bar code or QR code or something).

I think being nice and humble goes a long way. I sent a personal note telling whoever opened the box that I sadly crashed my beloved mp and if they could do anything to get it back before I left on vacation on July 12th, I would really appreciate it. The day DJI received it from UPS I received a phone call from a supervisor who received my letter, promised it would be sent out the next day despite not requesting "Refresh Express" and it was.

I too am not the only person who received such good service recently. Look around, you'll see posts that say the same thing.I will add that several DJI employees admitted that between the response to the mp and a move between facilities, they were behind but have since cleared the backlog.

On final note, I have to wonder, do these folks who forecast such gloom have they personally received such poor service or are they just repeating things they've heard before? If they did have personal service, was it recently? Or do they have some other skin in the game, like repairs or parts?

Anyway, good luck. I just got back from vacation and I flew almost every day.

The bird was in site, I just didn't react in time. She is quite aggressive in sport. I wonder how long the refresh program takes.

Sorry about your crashed.
You will find out soon enough...... you will be better off sending it to ThunderDrones member here for more reliable repair and turn around......just saying.

Unless it's a total loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: newguy
I should count my blessings. 1st. flight beginner mode. 2nd. flight p and sport mode. Almost hit a tree branch in sport but just missed it.

I wouldn't say it takes 4-6 weeks. I don't have the refresh. I might get it once my mp comes back on Tues. I had a gimbal issue and sent it in on July 12th and it's being shipped back on Sept 1st. So 2-3 weeks without care.
Do you mean August 1?

I wonder how long the refresh program takes.

I sent mine in for a Refresh claim on 07/03. Due to the holiday they (California) didn't receive it until 07/06. I got it back on 07/25 which wasn't fair seeing how they were going to replace, rather than fix it, anyway. Sadly, I received a defective unit and am awaiting another replacement (after having to send it in again). They said they'll expedite the repair, but I'm not holding my breath. I've sent in my drone twice and already I'm conditioned to the fact that I'll be without it for at least 15 days. One problem is that it seems to take one full day for every stage of the repair (case creation, receiving, damage assessment, invoicing, actual repair, quality assurance, shipment) and there is no movement during the weekends.

Reactions: lostinspace
My mavic pro refresh took about 12 days sending from East coast to California including weekends and I just received it back today and a brand new unit. Just make the payment right away for the refresh care 1st time$79 and I believe 2nd time$129.

Reactions: lostinspace
After much you tube reserch I have managed to get back in the air with a slightly damaged mavic. Fixed the gimble problem and recalabrated all the sensors. Took flight today with no problems. I have some body damage to the right front, I will post pictures soon. I wonder if I can fly safely with the body damage.

Post pictures and if you need to replace the parts or anything they are quite cheap and easy to replace. The only little hard thing is fixing the gimble camera which take a lot of time.

Thanks, its a small gap between the upper and lower body on the left front sensor. Seams to fly ok after I recalabrated all the sensors. I will tape the gap and keep flyin
Post pictures and if you need to replace the parts or anything they are quite cheap and easy to replace. The only little hard thing is fixing the gimble camera which take a lot of time.
The gimble problem was rear mounting plate was out of alignment.

Reactions: naeemr86
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird