DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy lady!

Schusterjo

Reactions
Today was my son's last day of swimming lessons and it was all play time. I figured I would catch some video of him going down the slide ext. I was outside the pool area in the city park (right outside of pool in parking lot, VFR) while my wife stayed with my son inside the swim park. About half way through a crazy lady came up and said she didn't appreciate me flying my drone where children are. I was very polite and explained I am recording my son who is at swim class then she started saying you're a ******* pervert get the *** out of here ext.. Again I politely told her this is a city park, I'm recording "my son", everything I am doing is legal and that if she has a issue with it call the police. She proceeded to curse me out for the next 5 minutes and I just ignored her occasionally saying call the police.
This lady didnt even have a child in the swim class because I know all of the parents who are and have attended the class for the past 3 years.
Anyways I figured I would share my crazy lady story. Got some great shots despite having her cussing at me.

I fly drones and enjoy it. But I don't want to be the receiving end of a drone accident. If I got it correctly, the lady had her own right, concern and complaint though she should not have cursed you. In public (like parks), being considerate is a good manner. It may not be good for us as hobbyists if she really called the cops.

By Murphy's law...

I fly drones and enjoy it. But I don't want to be the receiving end of a drone accident. If I got it correctly, the lady had her own right, concern and complaint though she should not have cursed you. In public (like parks), being considerate is a good manner. It may not be good for us as hobbyists if she really called the cops.

By Murphy's law...
Not sure what to are saying. Yes we all share her concern of someone using a drone for sexual pleasure however I'm son was in the class. Parents and lifeguards know who I am and I flying VRF.. legal legal legal. She doesnt have a leg to stand on and she knew it and is why she drove away.

I've never come across that sort of people (yet?). A few weeks ago, I was flying at a local park and a much older man and women (separate occasions) come up and was genuinely curious about my drone. Had a nice chat with them. I even let one of them look through my goggles. You just never know who you'll meet.
I think confrontations occurs when one person believes his/her rights are more important than others. Even worse when they don't know what courtesy is.

Today was my son's last day of swimming lessons and it was all play time. I figured I would catch some video of him going down the slide ext. I was outside the pool area in the city park (right outside of pool in parking lot, VFR) while my wife stayed with my son inside the swim park. About half way through a crazy lady came up and said she didn't appreciate me flying my drone where children are. I was very polite and explained I am recording my son who is at swim class then she started saying you're a ******* pervert get the *** out of here ext.. Again I politely told her this is a city park, I'm recording "my son", everything I am doing is legal and that if she has a issue with it call the police. She proceeded to curse me out for the next 5 minutes and I just ignored her occasionally saying call the police.
This lady didnt even have a child in the swim class because I know all of the parents who are and have attended the class for the past 3 years.
Anyways I figured I would share my crazy lady story. Got some great shots despite having her cussing at me.
I am not saying that what you did is illegal but flying over other people on the pool is in the eyes of the FAA not acceptable. If it was very crowded, i would probably try not to disturb others around... Maybe let them know that you will be flying a drone.

Reactions: Peter Powers
Flying over just one person here in Oz is illegal according to CASA.
Fine is $10,500.
Sometimes I wish we had your laws and others I'm glad we don't.
No consistency between the two.

She is no lady, and obviously has mental issues,I dont know weather I would have kept my cool

Reactions: Former Member
Flying a drone over a group of people here in the U.S. is not allowed. The lady had a legit concern IMHO; her delivery method sounds like it left much to be desired. She should have had the management staff at the pool handle this, once she voiced her concerns. It's very tough to get drone operations viewed in a positive light under most of the best circumstances, and this sounds like one where I would have coordinated with the pool's management team prior to launching/filming, but that's just me.

Clear communications in this situation may have - I stress MAY HAVE - averted the scene, but it certainly would have reduced the chances. Again, my 2 cents' worth.

I agree that flying over people is illegal, some rules to follow are., Register your quad,
No Fly Zones, Stay under 400', Visual line of sight, Don't fly over people, Observe airport restrictions. I try to avoid confrontations with people, working on helping people
under stand. That Drones are here to stay, accepting new ideas is difficult for many people. People need to be educated about drones, we can help do educate and not
alienate.

Reactions: Phill
I'm in the UK and the abuse concerns are such that taking video/photos of children in swimming pools is seriously frowned upon, even your own kids. Using a drone out of the car park - very dodgy. I don't know what the social norms are in your part of the world but the police would definitely be on the scene here and "words of advice" would be had at the very least.

Unless, as suggested above, this is official video pre-arranged with the pool management, in which case everyone would have to give permission to be on it.

Sounds like the lady was angry and did not handle the situation well, but in this country her concerns would be very valid.

Last edited:
It's perfectly normal to have an objection if you feel someone is perving children, however, I am led to feel that people who get THAT adamant about the potential abuse of children either have had a bad experience in their past or have those feelings on their own and are projecting them onto you. The former I have sympathy for ... the latter should get the help they need.

As the others have said, don't fly over people...don't get so close that they feel invaded. Just have respect.

Here in Oz you need to keep 30m away from people but then there is no right of privacy in a public place which a pool definatly is. You could take photos with your phone inside the pool and no one could object.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ