DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy or highly skilled pilot?

offtheback

Reactions
Was photographing surfers and when i looked at the results on my laptop I saw this drone at what appears to be not far above the water's surface.I believe the sensors get confused by moving water.I have been surprised when flying at 10 or 12 feet that the drone lowers itself.Is there a trick to fly that low without dunking the drone?2.jpeg1 (1).jpeg

Was photographing surfers and when i looked at the results on my laptop I saw this drone at what appears to be not far above the water's surface.I believe the sensors get confused by moving water.I have been surprised when flying at 10 or 12 feet that the drone lowers itself.Is there a trick to fly that low without dunking the drone?View attachment 172519View attachment 172521
Disabling Precision Landing in the Go4 app shuts down the bottom vision sensors but you'll still have to watch out and make sure waves don't reach up and grab you. ;-)

Disabling Precision Landing in the Go4 app shuts down the bottom vision sensors but you'll still have to watch out and make sure waves don't reach up and grab you. ;-)
Thanks.With the bottom sensors off,does the drone keep altitude by GPS/barometer reading or just because you don't input changes on the sticks?Are there updrafts or down drafts that can affect it?

Last edited:
Thanks.With the bottom sensors off,doe the drone altitude by GPS/barometer reading or just because you don't input changes on the sticks?Are there updrafts or down drafts that can affect it?
I only fly over the ocean when it's calm. I've flown at 15ft at full throttle (mav3 46mph) for a few hundred feet. I just kept looking at the altitude/barometer reading and made sure the drone wasn't drifting lower. I've flown these types of shots about 10 times and never had the drone try to lower itself abruptly, But , it has drifted lower slowly, when I flew that fast and that low, so I had to increase the altitude back to 15ft.

I don't fly near waves, not because i'm afraid of the drone getting grabbed, but I don't like the idea of salt water spray hitting the drone.

Regarding water affecting a drone's ability to maintain it's altitude, I haven't seen any difference flying over water than when I fly at the same level down an empty road. The down or up "drift" on the drone is the same as water as asphalt.

If you want to film near waves and surfers, I would buy one of those waterproof 360 cameras and hang it from the bottom of my drone, by about 20-30ft. This way you can get the camera down in the action and even in the water without getting your drone wet or putting it at risk of a splash down. The 360 camera would allow you to just crop the footage you want toward the surfer, even if it spins a bit in circles.

There is a little bit of a Trick, When I fly low over the water , I have perfect VLOS and what I do is at a certain point i start to very gradually continue to push the stick up so in reality I have a found a perfect very gradual incline.

I practiced this over the Corn Fields/Grass getting as low as I could to them and than once I reach a certain point start that gradual incline up as continue the flight out longer.

I use this same Practice for going out and skimming the Tree Tops , but the Key behind it all is the Optimum VLOS .
This is where having the Rescue Jacket is like flying with a Level Ruler.

This was a few years back but it will give you the idea, I cannot fly as well without the Rescue Jacket as that is like magic Ruler over the water and land.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Papa Beach
I only fly over the ocean when it's calm. I've flown at 15ft at full throttle (mav3 46mph) for a few hundred feet. I just kept looking at the altitude/barometer reading and made sure the drone wasn't drifting lower. I've flown these types of shots about 10 times and never had the drone try to lower itself abruptly, But , it has drifted lower slowly, when I flew that fast and that low, so I had to increase the altitude back to 15ft.

I don't fly near waves, not because i'm afraid of the drone getting grabbed, but I don't like the idea of salt water spray hitting the drone.

Regarding water affecting a drone's ability to maintain it's altitude, I haven't seen any difference flying over water than when I fly at the same level down an empty road. The down or up "drift" on the drone is the same as water as asphalt.

If you want to film near waves and surfers, I would buy one of those waterproof 360 cameras and hang it from the bottom of my drone, by about 20-30ft. This way you can get the camera down in the action and even in the water without getting your drone wet or putting it at risk of a splash down. The 360 camera would allow you to just crop the footage you want toward the surfer, even if it spins a bit in circles.
Thanks for the info!

I've never had any problem flying over water even at a lower height. I can't figure out what I'm doing different that keeps it from doing "those things" we hear/see others experience over water. I fly over water (less than 6') regularly working on a Dam ReVamp project here.

I did a "Dam Spill Gate Inspection" today and had to fly, at times, just 2' above the water and within about 4' of rushing water from a partially log jammed spill gate
Here are some screenshots of the area I'm about to fly into and then once I'm within the corridor: (turbulent water)
1707448545533.png

1707448610820.png

1707448657715.png

1707448697237.png

I am in no position to answer the OP's question. I have only flown over water at a high altitude. Great job @BigAl07 in your work.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks.With the bottom sensors off,does the drone keep altitude by GPS/barometer reading or just because you don't input changes on the sticks?Are there updrafts or down drafts that can affect it?
It uses the baro reading for altitude. Yes, drafts can affect it so you have to be very attentive and if you fly fast you will have to react fast. It can still tend to drift down a little so be very careful. Practice over water with very little to no waves flying slowly.

Reactions: offtheback
I've never had any problem flying over water even at a lower height. I can't figure out what I'm doing different that keeps it from doing "those things" we hear/see others experience over water. I fly over water (less than 6') regularly working on a Dam ReVamp project here.

I did a "Dam Spill Gate Inspection" today and had to fly, at times, just 2' above the water and within about 4' of rushing water from a partially log jammed spill gate
Here are some screenshots of the area I'm about to fly into and then once I'm within the corridor: (turbulent water)
View attachment 172533

View attachment 172534

View attachment 172535

View attachment 172536
I have no issues with Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom or my Mini 3 Pro over water.........but the Avata is a problem over water.

View attachment 172533

View attachment 172534

View attachment 172535

View attachment 172536
My guess is that the difference is you are flying basically at a hover or at very slow speeds. Those above are flying at speeds and at a distance which may be affecting their visual LOS and height. And without the good LOS they are not able to adjust appropriately and risk going in for a swim.

My guess is that the difference is you are flying basically at a hover or at very slow speeds. Those above are flying at speeds and at a distance which may be affecting their visual LOS and height. And without the good LOS they are not able to adjust appropriately and risk going in for a swim.

Yes this is very accurate. I was literally only 10' away from the aircraft and had full visual on it during 50% of the flight. The other 50% I'm down inside that narrow corridor (HUGE pucker factor) but was also flying slow and very attentive to any deviations and softly correcting since I had no GPS etc in that corridor.

I flew over a field of wild oats once just barely skimming the tops of the grass at high speeds. It made for a great video scene and I could see my MP2 the entire time but only upon watching the film did I notice that I flew at high speed under the top wire of a barbed wire fence. Flying low definitely has to be done with caution and a watchful eye as you have so little reaction time if something happens!

I flew over a field of wild oats once just barely skimming the tops of the grass at high speeds. It made for a great video scene and I could see my MP2 the entire time but only upon watching the film did I notice that I flew at high speed under the top wire of a barbed wire fence. Flying low definitely has to be done with caution and a watchful eye as you have so little reaction time if something happens!
oooooh, You got lucky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne