DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crow Attacks MA2

icecoldgin

Reactions
I was taking a video of the ongoing COVID vaccination at our village when suddenly, out of nowhere, a single crow decides to attack the MA2.

Luckily, I was at the tail end of the video so I cut it short, started descending and headed home. Drone was not far from me and I could see the aerial ballet between the crow and the MA2.

MA2 made it home, crow was not harmed and all's well that end's well. Pays to fly VLOS, I should say.

Too bad I was not able to take a video of chacha in the sky from the ground but the crow did cross the MA2's camera a number of times and here is one video capture of that episode.

2021May11 crow attack p3 C.png

Lucky man, I’ve had several close calls with raptors. Have used the up movement to evade and a hasty down whilst turning
Regards

Reactions: icecoldgin
I was taking a video of the ongoing COVID vaccination at our village when suddenly, out of nowhere, a single crow decides to attack the MA2.

Luckily, I was at the tail end of the video so I cut it short, started descending and headed home. Drone was not far from me and I could see the aerial ballet between the crow and the MA2.

MA2 made it home, crow was not harmed and all's well that end's well. Pays to fly VLOS, I should say.

Too bad I was not able to take a video of chacha in the sky from the ground but the crow did cross the MA2's camera a number of times and here is one video capture of that episode.

View attachment 128964
I had a heart stopping moment when my spark was attacked by seagulls a few years back while on holiday in Spain

My neighbor has homing pigeons that will circle about 40 feet below the drone if i put it up and hover. Not really attack, but more a defensive pose. They aren't curious enough to get that close though.
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz AirIso, that would be a pain if your trying to video.
Regards

Reactions: icecoldgin
The bird was most likely protecting it's young in a nest close by. The drone noise is enough to keep most birds away. It's also good to just hover. Birds will not understand a stationary object in the air. Always go up in altitude. The drone can climb faster than a bird.
I was actually hovering at that time and doing a zoom in and zoom out shot.

Crow was circling around the drone and occasionally attempting to peck at it.

You are correct and I suspect that there is a nest nearby. It is that time of the year in our area where a lot of these birds build their nests on the trees or on the ground.

And I love the nice and varied sounds of birds chirping not only in the morning but all day long.

Thumbswayup;):)

I bought decals for my MA2 that give it eyes and a bright yellow beak. This is supposed to deter attacks from other birds. I don't know if it is a credible thing to do, but so far no attacks have occurred, though a red-tailed hawk circled just above the MA2 (out of curiosity?) before I decided to bring it home just to be safe!

Once I had an encounter with Bees. It was not good for the Bees. They lost half of their forces before I realized the P3P was fighting to win. Truly one of many new encounters for stingy thingys, and small well meaning birds.

View attachment 128964

I need coffee this morning. I read the subject of your post as “COW attacks MA2”.

I’m thinking “Wait. What? How the heck does a cow attack a drone?”

Glad everything is ok!

Best,

Math

Crows will do that. Grackles too. I've even seen them go after hawks and other birds of prey that are big enough to eat them for lunch. They have no fear if their nest is nearby.
I agree! I watched a crow harass a hawk sitting on top of a telephone pole in front of my house. The hawk left the pole when the crow showed it's claws. It was really a surprise to see that.

I need coffee this morning. I read the subject of your post as “COW attacks MA2”.

I’m thinking “Wait. What? How the heck does a cow attack a drone?”

Glad everything is ok!

Best,

Math

hehe Same here!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I could see the aerial ballet between the crow and the MA2.
In Bulgaria i have always to check other birds that came with my Mavic Pro. Now with ‘louder’ propellors, i have the impression they no longer come that close. It is like with my Kawasaki Conny 1400GTR: is is so silent i once had a small incident because they did not hear me and crossed me.
Pays to fly VLOS, I should say.
Thx for this remark!

Glad you got it in safe.
I had 2 birds being curious with me and M2P on Friday. they were flying below me and then on top as I was orbiting. I was about to bring it back when they finally took off away from me after about 90 seconds.

Reactions: Van Belle Jean Marc
The bird was most likely protecting it's young in a nest close by. The drone noise is enough to keep most birds away. It's also good to just hover. Birds will not understand a stationary object in the air. Always go up in altitude. The drone can climb faster than a bird.
Very good to know. I recently had a flock of pigeons making circles around my MA2 getting closer every time. I figured hovering would just make me an easy target for a strike so I just put it in sport mode and evaded them until I was 15-20 feet off the deck. I'll try the hover next time to see if question marks pop up over their heads. Going straight up makes so much sense now too. Thanks.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky