DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crows vs Drones....trust me Crows win

Ok, lets say your flying your drone, a bird is making a bee line towards your drone......
Climb, dive or fly in circles????

Ok, lets say your flying your drone, a bird is making a bee line towards your drone......
Climb, dive or fly in circles????

Birds of Prey are often much more maneuvarable and faster than us since they often "Ambush Attack" from above I always CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB while trying to also create some distance. This last part also takes the aircraft (hopefully) out of the area if it's a territory issue (nesting site etc).

Reactions: Thoraldus
Perhaps a Raven? Ravens are as big as Red-tailed Hawks, and crows are about the size of pigeons. The raven is all black, has a 3.5-4 ft wingspan and is around 24-27 inches from head to tail. The crow is also black, has a 2.5 ft wingspan and is about 17 inches long. Both of the family Corvidae.

Have you ever noticed that you never have ravens & crows in the same territory?

Thanks for that! Dang. I wish I had thought of that. I did buy full coverage drone insurance, but the one requirement for the coverage is the drone must be sent in; I can’t find mine. I was standing in the last Ping location; nowhere to be found. So this has turned into a serious drone recovery mission. I’m getting a light strobing noise maker transponder (locator, whatever) for this exact reason in the future.?

? I have had two insurance claims & have never had to send it in. PIctures maybe but even then, I don't think they cared. (I have Traveler's Ins)

I think it’s a crow, it’s pretty small and very agile. There’s a photo above of a raven on post #18- if you look at it it’s a much more robust and the beak is very thick, with a diamond shaped tail. The crows tail is rounded.

Have you ever noticed that you never have ravens & crows in the same territory?

... " In regions where both can be found, crows tend to live around towns and farms, while ravens prefer more wild locations."...

That, and the propensity for crows to gang up on ravens to drive them out of their territory.

I flew over a patch of trees and a huge flock of birds chased my Mavic. I popped it in Sports Mode, but they were able to catch up. I had to climb out to shake them off of me.

After reading this thread, I guess I have been very lucky as I use my mavic pro to chase black birds, starlings and crows away from our area on a regular basis. We had nesting crows in the woods behind us in 2017. Bought the drone in spring of 2018 and have been crow free since. Also use it to keep geese out of neighbours ponds and yards.
There are no ravens in the area but have eagles and red shouldered hawks.

Reactions: Cullensmith
After reading this thread, I guess I have been very lucky as I use my mavic pro to chase black birds, starlings and crows away from our area on a regular basis. We had nesting crows in the woods behind us in 2017. Bought the drone in spring of 2018 and have been crow free since. Also use it to keep geese out of neighbours ponds and yards.
There are no ravens in the area but have eagles and red shouldered hawks.

Yes buddy. You’ve been lucky...or maybe be it’s just me?. I can tell you this much- my drone insurance is pretty good- $500 got me a new drone...vs $1500. I even turned around and re-bought the insurance for the replacement. I’m sure I will have some sort of catastrophe someday, again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman