DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky 5.5" Initial Review

I don't believe that the adapter showed in another thread (link posted here) is the actual DJI's product!!! Upside down???!!!

But, this way it doesn't obstruct the GNSS on the top side, as required in the User Manual... It makes sense... I said that I was curious to see how they would design and solve this issue, but UPSIDE DOWN!!!

The official Mavic adapter for CrystalSky is not yet available for purchase, nor do we have a release date.

The photos showing the way it will work with the screen mounted upside down are correct though.

If we look at it for a second time, that's not too bad, just the buttons labeled upside-down look weird... This mounting keeps GNSS clear and also adds a better distance between the top of the tablet and the joysticks... It doesn't look so uncomfortable as the iPads seating on RC grabs too close to the joysticks, with our thumbs dislodged sideways...

My solution for the bracket for now. I took of the mount, reversed it at the neck then reassembled. Works great.
I am working on a prototype to make the monitor flush under the controller so both screen are visible at all times.
IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1787.jpg IMG_1788.jpg

My solution for the bracket for now. I took of the mount, reversed it at the neck then reassembled. Works great.
I am working on a prototype to make the monitor flush under the controller so both screen are visible at all times.
View attachment 16546 View attachment 16547 View attachment 16548 View attachment 16549

What's the benefit of reversing the mount ?

I got this mainly for my Osmo but ties meant for the Mavic.

Mavic Pro Crystal Sky Mounting Bracket (3-5 day Processing Time) - FlyHighUSA

What's the benefit of reversing the mount ?

I got this mainly for my Osmo but ties meant for the Mavic.

Mavic Pro Crystal Sky Mounting Bracket (3-5 day Processing Time) - FlyHighUSA
So that the screen faces me. The mount base would extrude from the opposite direction. Now its flush.
Makes it nice to easily switch between a Mavic and an Inspire 2 with just a latch. Very well built mount from DJI.
Waiting for the new Osmo whenever they decide to show it and release it, website just says new handheld for X5S right now...coming soon.

This is stupid DJI getting things wrong? Why would they make the bigger screen compatible with the smaller devices - get it wrong and wrong enough to put it on the site that it's not compatible! I wanted the ultra brightness screen but the blurb said its only the 5.5 for the Osmo etc.
Electronics??

View attachment 16047

Red are controller arms. White is the plate. Blue is the clamp part of the plate. It can be at any position so the face of the monitor can be at any depth you want.
I like this plate idea clamped into the controller's arms and then VELCRO CS to plate so both screens are visible. {How do you bend aluminum to specs??}

The 5.5 inch is too small! I want a screen with more real estate, like my iPad.
I will use it with the Mavic, Osmo and Inspire!

The 5.5 inch is too small! I want a screen with more real estate, like my iPad.
I will use it with the Mavic, Osmo and Inspire!

I have the 5.5. I think with osmo then larger screen will be too heavy and also unbalanced for the rig. The 5.5 is perfect- but i agree. In an ideal worth I'll use the ultra bright for droning and the 5.5 for osmo but at the moment the 5.5 size is much more portable and suited for the osmo.

I have the 5.5. I think with osmo then larger screen will be too heavy and also unbalanced for the rig. The 5.5 is perfect- but i agree. In an ideal worth I'll use the ultra bright for droning and the 5.5 for osmo but at the moment the 5.5 size is much more portable and suited for the osmo.
So perhaps the 7,85 Ultra for the Inspire and Mavic and the 5.5 for the Osmo!

All you need is this and the right USB cable and you're good to go.. no 80.00 DJI bracket needed.. made out of super tough PETG material..

20170708_110635-resized-jpg.17066

DJI Mavic CrystalSky Mount

Attachments

• 20170708_110635-resized.jpg
    20170708_110635-resized.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 20170708_090540-resized.jpg
    20170708_090540-resized.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dirkclod

DJI Drone Deals