DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky 5.5" Initial Review

So no charger comes with the crystal Sky? Please explain....

We believe this was due to the CrystalSky originally being targeted for the prosumer and professional lines of DJI product (Phantom, Inspire and Matrice) and DJI decided to include the Charging Hub with the CrystalSky that simply plugs in to your original Phantom, Inspire or Matrice power adaptor and therefore no additional charger is required.

Our belief is that the 5.5" was an afterthought following the 7.85" model and when the 5.5" model became popular amongst Mavic owners DJI quickly released that Mavic owners do not have a power adaptor capable of working with the CrystalSky Charging Hub.

A bit messy but that's the explanation :)

We believe this was due to the CrystalSky originally being targeted for the prosumer and professional lines of DJI product (Phantom, Inspire and Matrice) and DJI decided to include the Charging Hub with the CrystalSky that simply plugs in to your original Phantom, Inspire or Matrice power adaptor and therefore no additional charger is required.

Our belief is that the 5.5" was an afterthought following the 7.85" model and when the 5.5" model became popular amongst Mavic owners DJI quickly released that Mavic owners do not have a power adaptor capable of working with the CrystalSky Charging Hub.

A bit messy but that's the explanation :)

Wasn't the 5.5 announced at the same time though?

Agree with the rest of the explanation

Wasn't the 5.5 announced at the same time though?

Agree with the rest of the explanation

Correct, all three models were announced at the November 15th release event here in LA. However, we really think the 7.85" was the original version designed and then the 5.5" was added later in R&D and marketing of the CS. Solely our assumption and by no means a statement backed by confirmed facts.

Just odd that DJI overlooked the charger issue with Mavic owners when a 5.5" version was created that is popular amongst Mavic users...

Just odd that DJI overlooked the charger issue with Mavic owners when a 5.5" version was created that is popular amongst Mavic users...

Purely supposition, but I don't think DJI ever seriously expected a high volume of sales to Mavic owners.

The 5.5" really made its debut with the P4P, so I suspect it has been there in the plans all along.

Mavic has always been marketed primarily as a phone based aircraft.

Yes, it supports tablets but the design philosophy is clearly phone oriented.

So while it has been nominally listed as 'compatible' with CrystalSky, it was and is somewhat of an after thought.

With the bulk of the order volume expected to come from people who already owned a suitable charger it just seems logical to give them something they would use like the 2 port dock rather than a charger they didn't need...

Reactions: Advexure
Purely supposition, but I don't think DJI ever seriously expected a high volume of sales to Mavic owners.

The 5.5" really made its debut with the P4P, so I suspect it has been there in the plans all along.

Mavic has always been marketed primarily as a phone based aircraft.

Yes, it supports tablets but the design philosophy is clearly phone oriented.

So while it has been nominally listed as 'compatible' with CrystalSky, it was and is somewhat of an after thought.

With the bulk of the order volume expected to come from people who already owned a suitable charger it just seems logical to give them something they would use like the 2 port dock rather than a charger they didn't need...

Well said, Mark. Thanks for the additional insight.

Reactions: mark_t
DJI is like that girlfriend you couldn't stand but also couldn't get enough of at the same time. You knew they were full of it and misleading, but you still believed them a little bit because of the hope things would finally be different this time.

I think that says more about you than DJI. LOL.

Reactions: Mike357
Can you add additional android apps to the screen or are you limited to DJI only apps?

As well as my Mavic, I would really like to be able to use this for FPV of my normal quads with my android receiver. But I'd need to be able to install the app to do so.

Thanks.

Can you add additional android apps to the screen or are you limited to DJI only apps?

As well as my Mavic, I would really like to be able to use this for FPV of my normal quads with my android receiver. But I'd need to be able to install the app to do so.

Thanks.

DJI only ATM is the official answer however if you do this

You can install 3rd party apps on the crystalsky!

Then you can use None DJI apps

Last edited:
Great review thread, and I appreciate the insights from the OP, but this thread needs more hot chick on the lake pictures to confirm that you are being serious with your review ;)

When DJI designed the Mavic I assume they were trying to design a product that was as light and compact as possible. Hence they came out with a charger that could charge one battery at a time and a 5v, low current, USB device, but not much more. At the product rollout they announced the "Advanced" Mavic charging hub, assuming that some Phantom or inspire owners might buy a Mavic and want to charge it faster with the higher current charger that they already owned.
When the Crystalsky was released I assume their thinking was that they didn't want to charge those consumers for something that they already owned. Where I think they erred is when they didn't offer a package with the higher current charger as an option to compliment the charging hub that came with the monitor. I'm pretty sure that occurred because they wanted to keep the price point low for the Crystalsky.
That being said, I now own a Crystalsky and Phantom charger and Advanced hub and it it is a sweet combination, but...at a cost.

Reactions: Advexure
When DJI designed the Mavic I assume they were trying to design a product that was as light and compact as possible. Hence they came out with a charger that could charge one battery at a time and a 5v, low current, USB device, but not much more. At the product rollout they announced the "Advanced" Mavic charging hub, assuming that some Phantom or inspire owners might buy a Mavic and want to charge it faster with the higher current charger that they already owned.
When the Crystalsky was released I assume their thinking was that they didn't want to charge those consumers for something that they already owned. Where I think they erred is when they didn't offer a package with the higher current charger as an option to compliment the charging hub that came with the monitor. I'm pretty sure that occurred because they wanted to keep the price point low for the Crystalsky.
That being said, I now own a Crystalsky and Phantom charger and Advanced hub and it it is a sweet combination, but...at a cost.

Very good points @ghedgepath. We will also add from our end that we believe the CS 5.5" was a bit of an afterthought as the 7.85" models were introduced to complement Phantom, Inspire and Matrice owners' setups who all already have compatible chargers for the CS charging hub. One could infer that a little bit later in the development stage DJI realized that they could accommodate Mavic owners with a 5.5" model. Based on the way that the DJI Mounting Bracket for CS on Mavic/Spark has been designed (have to flip CS display, although feedback has been positive once folks know how to flip the screen) I think it may be safe to say that when the Mavic was designed they did not have CS as something in the pipeline to be compatible with the Mavic line.

Glad you enjoy your new charging combination and safe flying! :cool:

I have the CS 5.5 and I have to say it has performed excellently... very sharp and clear and I have had no control issue's or connection issue's.

I did try a Mavmount but didn't like the setup so went for a 3D printed mount.

ee783ccbf1d0f0533338317664c4f7d7.jpg

d0b4d17bf4ff92de130ecb0f4712bca0.jpg

a6ff154c2e04555b43e4840942c0428b.jpg

Reactions: FASTFJR
I have the CS 5.5 and I have to say it has performed excellently... very sharp and clear and I have had no control issue's or connection issue's.

I did try a Mavmount but didn't like the setup so went for a 3D printed mount.

ee783ccbf1d0f0533338317664c4f7d7.jpg

d0b4d17bf4ff92de130ecb0f4712bca0.jpg

a6ff154c2e04555b43e4840942c0428b.jpg

Could you please provide a link for the 3D printed mount in your photos?

FWIW: After seeing it here I ordered this mount from Shapeways (shapeways.com). From everything I have seen this mount is the most practical for me, love it!
Also, I live in Canada and had it on my doorstep within a week!

Reactions: FASTFJR
Could you please provide a link for the 3D printed mount in your photos?

Sorry I was out flying .... but someone has linked it above. it only took a week to come from Shapeways and it really easy to install, I just used two M5 10mm hex screws to attach it as it fits in my case without having to remove it.

Attachments

• 20171021_132231[1].jpg
    20171021_132231[1].jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Bought OSMO 57W Power Adapter for my CSSky 5.5” from DJI for $39.00. Works great. Highly recommend.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada