DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky Ultra Bright Monitord

Do you mean that it can be hand tighten?
Yes. When you have it all put together, pull the screen down like you were going to view the RC screen. This will give you more room to grip the thumbscrew. Hand tighten it from there. The screen will move, but with resistance, but not on it's own.

Reactions: Dronason
Yes. When you have it all put together, pull the screen down like you were going to view the RC screen. This will give you more room to grip the thumbscrew. Hand tighten it from there. The screen will move, but with resistance, but not on it's own.
No really working on mine, not giving me a reliable result, but it probably need some aging in that fixation, too new, thanks for the idea.

You're the second person in this thread to say something about the included "screwdriver" messing up the thumbscrew. That included "screwdriver" is for the mounting piece screws, not the thumbscew. You shouldn't use it on the thumbscrew as it's no where near the right size. I think it should be apparent for most people that it will strip it. Just as using the wrong size wrench will strip bolts, using the wrong size screwdriver will strip screws.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Are you saying you stripped the threads on the thumbscrew too?

No I didn't strip the threads. I had just purchased it and was trying it out. I had to tighten the thumbscrew a lot to keep the 7.85" CS in position. When I subsequently released the thumbscrew, it left the spindle in place! And yes, I did use the supplied screwdriver and spoilt the thumbscrew. How else are you supposed to tighten it sufficiently? Not using my bare hands, that's for sure.

It doesn't "strip" the thumbscrew, it just digs into the aluminium and damages it.

In my view, it's not suitable for the larger CS.

I placed the order for CS Ultra Bright monitor today and looks like I didn't do proper research. Searching number of forums I noticed there were number of problems reported with this unit between last couple of months of 2017 and first 3 months of 2018. The most recent posts I see report over hitting / late fan kicks in but I don't see anything else as far as problems are concern. Should I be worrying or the most recent incarnation of Ultra Bright units are solid monitors. Any comments from users of CS UB units are very much appreciated. Thanks!
I had a heating problem with my Ultra Crystalsky monitor. It powered off for the second time in flight because of heat and on the second time would not turn back on. It was under warranty and sent in for repair/replacement. The repair service department replaced it in three business day and so far so good. Its my understanding that there's been some fixes to correct this heating issue, let see. FYI retain you proof of purchase incase there is an issue.

Forgot to say this before, but I would not recommend the dji mount. It mounts it to the bottom of the controller and makes it bottom heavy and awkward. I would recommend the polar pro mount. I have it, and it feels solid and it distributes the weight well. Only downside to it, is that it blocks your controller screen. Not a big deal to me, but might be for others.
I purchased both the polor pro and DJI mount and prefer the DJI mount. I don't notice any awkwardness in the operation. the mounting on the bottom of the controller taked the place of using your cell phone in that bottom position. How often do you use the buttons on the monitor while flying ?, I don't. A plus for me is it doesn't take up any extra space if I pack it away for traveling.

I purchased both the polor pro and DJI mount and prefer the DJI mount. I don't notice any awkwardness in the operation. the mounting on the bottom of the controller taked the place of using your cell phone in that bottom position. How often do you use the buttons on the monitor while flying ?, I don't. A plus for me is it doesn't take up any extra space if I pack it away for traveling.

Hey Curt, are you using CS 5.5" or 7.85" monitor? I think with 5.5" it doesn't make much difference but with 7.85" it will take some time to get used to.

Thank you all for your comments. At this point I have wait for the delivery and I will find out how really they work. Not sure I made right decision ordering DJI mounting bracket but again I will see how it fits once I have both in my hands :) Thanks again!
I have both sizes, the 5.5 I use for my Mavic Pro and the 7.85 I use for my Inspire 2. The 5.5 works idealy for the DJI mount.

Reactions: j.r.r.
Are you using the 5.5 or the 7.85? I've never tried the 5.5, but I imagine it would be okay on the bottom. I have a large cell phone that I use on the bottom and it's no problem at all. The 7.85 version is pretty heavy and, at least for me, it definitely makes the controller bottom heavy. Enough so that I went out and bought another mount.

I'm using the Crystalsky 5.5 monitor for use with my Mavic Pro.
Thank you Curt! If I would buy CS 5.5" I wouldn't be worrying much, it would feel like my Samsung Note 4 but heavier. With 7.85" I'm concern about blocking display with my hands when operating RC sticks. Well... I will know tomorrow when I pickup CS monitor, worst case scenarios I will have to buy another bracket and I think I will go for MAVMOUNT Gunmetal Grey MavMount 3.0 DJI Mavic Pro, AIR and Spark iPad Tablet & Crystal Sky adapter system | MavMount

Thank you Curt! If I would buy CS 5.5" I wouldn't be worrying much, it would feel like my Samsung Note 4 but heavier. With 7.85" I'm concern about blocking display with my hands when operating RC sticks. Well... I will know tomorrow when I pickup CS monitor, worst case scenarios I will have to buy another bracket and I think I will go for MAVMOUNT Gunmetal Grey MavMount 3.0 DJI Mavic Pro, AIR and Spark iPad Tablet & Crystal Sky adapter system | MavMount
Actually, I changed my mind and ordered bracket from Norway, LifThor Sif CS II Tablet Holder for Mavic | Thor's Drone World. Somehow, from ergonomic point of view, this solution seams to be my favorite one. Hopefully, I will be able to compare couple different setups, the bottom of RC vs top mount. From pictures on their site looks like LifThor allow the best view of / access to RC. If anybody in Toronto area would like to have look and try those brackets just let me know, I should have them both by end of next week.

Yes Polarpro one is good.

But the screw to adjust and hold the angle of the CS is weak and need to be tight strongly each time you change the angle. The tool delivered with the mount (flat screwdriver) is too small for the screw, it finish to damage the screw. That was not usable for me as it was. In my box, the CS need to be flat and folded each time to use it.
I added a screw to be able to tight the screw so the angle is locked (it's ugly, I know, but it work to give enough grip without an extra tool).
View attachment 40846
It is also not as nice as the DJI one if you want to use also the CS on Phantom RC and Mavic style RC. That's 2 screws each time.

Good is that the cable is yours so you can change it at any time. With the DJI it looks like molded in the fixation and when the connector will become old...
==Nice solution to add a screw to the positioning tensioner!

FWIW, I initially ordered the Ultra Bright but has the issue of the display going blank so returned it. I later order the 7" "regular" (not Ultra Bright) and really glad I did. No display issue AND I have zero issues seeing the display clearly even in direct sunlight. Turns out (for ME) the Ultra Bright was overkill (and more costly). YMMV of course !!

After I purchased a 3D printed mount (bad investment) I purchased this one by MavMount. Very functional and built like a "ceramic defactorium" . Mine is in red.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.51.22 AM.png
    292.7 KB · Views: 26
Another solution would be the Flyhigh mounting plate for the Mavic Pro controller. I use my 7” CS for my P4Pro V2.0 and the Mavic. The advantage is I never have to change the bottom bracket on the CS monitor. Just add a DJI CS mount to the plate and you will be set.
Mavic Pro Crystal Sky Mounting Bracket (5-7 Day Processing Time) - FlyHighUSA
I forgot to mention, if you need to swap out the CS monition for the tablet or the Moverio BT glasses, you can use this small 3D printed adapter.Aerial-Pixel - Vinyl Graphics, Vinyl Decals, Apparel, 3D Printing

I finally picked my CS Ultra and DJI mounting bracket today. It was a very hot day in Toronto, decided to ride my bike but in about 5 minutes into the ride I was sorry I didn't take a car. Because of the heat outside I stayed home and setup / played with my new monitor. The first impression is very good, solid, right size, and the display very, very bright :) I walked out to my front yard to see how CS performs in the direct sunlight and it really passed the tests with flying colors. Since I didn't take this monitor for a real tests and that is flying a drone, I really cannot say much more.
I installed DJI mounting bracket and it looks like very solid solution. From ergonomic point of view it works for me, I'm old man with big belly so it is easy to support the monitor bottom edge by pressing it against my gut :) Couple things I don't like about this bracket:
- I had to turn the monitor by 180 degrees and flip the display in order to attach it to the RC. By doing so I ended up with all control buttons on the left side and in reversed order.
- There is no way to tilt monitor independently from the RC, they both are as a solid unit.
At this moment the bracket from Norway looks like a winner.
Cheers,
--jrr

That's actually a phantom mount, but it looks like they made an adapter for it. Whatever works.
It's what I use and I'm very happy with it as now the RC is very balanced. But then again, I had my mount purchased before a lot of 3rd party options came out.

I finally picked my CS Ultra and DJI mounting bracket today. It was a very hot day in Toronto, decided to ride my bike but in about 5 minutes into the ride I was sorry I didn't take a car. Because of the heat outside I stayed home and setup / played with my new monitor. The first impression is very good, solid, right size, and the display very, very bright :) I walked out to my front yard to see how CS performs in the direct sunlight and it really passed the tests with flying colors. Since I didn't take this monitor for a real tests and that is flying a drone, I really cannot say much more.
I installed DJI mounting bracket and it looks like very solid solution. From ergonomic point of view it works for me, I'm old man with big belly so it is easy to support the monitor bottom edge by pressing it against my gut :) Couple things I don't like about this bracket:
- I had to turn the monitor by 180 degrees and flip the display in order to attach it to the RC. By doing so I ended up with all control buttons on the left side and in reversed order.
- There is no way to tilt monitor independently from the RC, they both are as a solid unit.
At this moment the bracket from Norway looks like a winner.
Cheers,
--jrr
Glad you like it. Many people dont like the DJI mounting bracket. It just goes to show that that there is not a one "best" solution. Different people will have different opinions on what works for them. You said in a post that you bought the lif thor sif(or however its spelled). Have you received it yet? Just wondering what your thoughts were on it compared to the dji mount. I've never used a lif thor and just wondered what you think of it.

You're the second person in this thread to say something about the included "screwdriver" messing up the thumbscrew. That included "screwdriver" is for the mounting piece screws, not the thumbscew. You shouldn't use it on the thumbscrew as it's no where near the right size. I think it should be apparent for most people that it will strip it. Just as using the wrong size wrench will strip bolts, using the wrong size screwdriver will strip screws.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. Are you saying you stripped the threads on the thumbscrew too?

The instructions that come with the Polarpro mount say, and I quote " No.5 - connect the CrystalSky monitor to the mount by lining up the Riser Bar and Monitor Plate, using the included Locking Bolt. Hand-tighten the Bolt, then, using the Fastening Tool to ensure the monitor remains locked in place" This the only criticism that I have for the mount. Polarpro should either provide a larger screwdriver, or provide a thumb screw with a larger finger grip. It's the rubber bush on the thumb screw which seems to "screw things up" sic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair