DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CsvView Updates?

jclarkw

Reactions
Confused: My version 4.0.5 of CsvView for Windows just notified me that there is a newer version available. When I check their release notes, however, I see the latest version is 1.3.3. On the other hand, when I check their download page, I see the latest version as 4.2.1. This does not compute! Does anybody know what's going on? How do I find out the improvements since my version? Does the author of CsvView have a contact page or email for questions of this nature? -- jclarkw

Confused: My version 4.0.5 of CsvView for Windows just notified me that there is a newer version available. When I check their release notes, however, I see the latest version is 1.3.3. On the other hand, when I check their download page, I see the latest version as 4.2.1. This does not compute! Does anybody know what's going on? How do I find out the improvements since my version? Does the author of CsvView have a contact page or email for questions of this nature? -- jclarkw
You're right. The release notes are so far out of date that they are essentially useless. Version 1.3.3 must be 3 maybe 4 years old. Please ignore them. I'll remove them from the website.

It's a sad state of affairs but the only way to know what's new in a version is to try it. The CsvView user manual needs to be updated. But, the DatCon user manual is up to date, more or less.

In your PM to me you had asked about the Fly App encryption. The short answer is that CsvView won't be able to decrypt the Fly App .txt files. But, if you use AirData then CsvView can process the .csv created by AirData

Reactions: jclarkw and db4476
You're right. The release notes are so far out of date that they are essentially useless. Version 1.3.3 must be 3 maybe 4 years old. Please ignore them. I'll remove them from the website.

It's a sad state of affairs but the only way to know what's new in a version is to try it. The CsvView user manual needs to be updated. But, the DatCon user manual is up to date, more or less.

In your PM to me you had asked about the Fly App encryption. The short answer is that CsvView won't be able to decrypt the Fly App .txt files. But, if you use AirData then CsvView can process the .csv created by AirData
Thanks, Bud, for the useful information. And thanks for the valuable software, which I am using gratefully. -- jclarkw

The trick is to grab the MCFlightData files off the mobile device before DJI makes them mysteriously disappear. DatCon can work with those files, but grab them while you can.

The trick is to grab the MCFlightData files off the mobile device before DJI makes them mysteriously disappear. DatCon can work with those files, but grab them while you can.

Dear Lookout -- What does "quickly enough" mean?

With DJI Fly 1.2.1, I have no difficulty finding and downloading the TXT log files to my computer, where I use CsvView to view them. Since I seldom allow my mobile device to connect to the Internet, DJI has no way of knowing they are there. I do go out of airport mode occasionally to cash maps for the relevant area of a new flight, but these log files have so far remained in place on the phone.

Perhaps all of this is different in newer versions of the app, where the log files are encrypted (at least so I've heard)... -- jclarkw

Dear Lookout -- What does "quickly enough" mean?

With DJI Fly 1.2.1, I have no difficulty finding and downloading the TXT log files to my computer, where I use CsvView to view them. Since I seldom allow my mobile device to connect to the Internet, DJI has no way of knowing they are there. I do go out of airport mode occasionally to cash maps for the relevant area of a new flight, but these log files have so far remained in place on the phone.

Perhaps all of this is different in newer versions of the app, where the log files are encrypted (at least so I've heard)... -- jclarkw
Apparently with the fly app they seem to disappear after awhile, so you have to catch them before they go away. Flights from the other day are there, but earlier ones in the year, aren't there. Someone had suggested on the forum here somewhere that was occurring.

Last edited:
Reactions: jclarkw

The trick is turn off synchronization with DJI servers. If a .DAT is uploaded to the DJI server then it gets deleted from the mobile device.

The trick is turn off synchronization with DJI servers. If a .DAT is uploaded to the DJI server then it gets deleted from the mobile device.
Bud -- How does one do this in the DJI Fly app? -- jclarkw

...The short answer is that CsvView won't be able to decrypt the Fly App .txt files. But, if you use AirData then CsvView can process the .csv created by AirData
Dear Bud -- I just got an email reply from Trevor at AirData which seemed to say unambiguously that the decrypted log files cannot be downloaded for use in CsvView. Since this appears to disagree with your experience, I wonder if I have misunderstood one or both of you. Can you clarify? -- jclarkw

Dear Bud -- I just got an email reply from Trevor at AirData which seemed to say unambiguously that the decrypted log files cannot be downloaded for use in CsvView. Since this appears to disagree with your experience, I wonder if I have misunderstood one or both of you. Can you clarify? -- jclarkw
I'm not sure what is meant by "decrypted log file". Both PhantomHelp and AirData decrypt the .txt to populate the user interface you see. That decrypted form is not available for download. Both sites then create a .csv that is available for download. CsvView 4.2.3 can process a .csv created by either PhantomHelp or AirData.

CsvView 4.2.3 does only the basics of presenting an AirData .csv. It does a much better job with a PhantomHelp .csv.

...Both PhantomHelp and AirData decrypt the .txt to populate the user interface you see. That decrypted form is not available for download. Both sites then create a .csv that is available for download. CsvView 4.2.3 can process a .csv created by either PhantomHelp or AirData...
Thanks, Bud -- That seems pretty clear. So the decrypted log file itself is not downloadable, but the "equivalent" un-encrypted CSV file is, which is as good as the same thing to me. Why AirData support didn't tell me that, I can't imagine... -- jclarkw

Bud (or anybody) -- Now that I have access to decrypted CSV files from Mike Singer's new Flight Reader software for PC...
Bud -- Follow-On to Above:

When I point CsvView to Flight Reader's decrypted "Aircraft" CSV file of a long flight, it plots only out to 1000 s of the total 1223 s duration shown by Flight Reader. Is 1000 s a hard cutoff in CsvView, or am I doing something wrong?

On another flight the HOME:distance plotted by CsvView becomes undefined about 1000 ft, whereas in Flight Reader it continues up to 15,918 ft. Again, is 1000 ft a hard limit in CsvView? -- jclarkw

Last edited:
Bud -- Follow-On to Above:

When I point CsvView to Flight Reader's decrypted "Aircraft" CSV file of a long flight, it plots only out to 1000 s of the total 1223 s duration shown by Flight Reader. Is 1000 s a hard cutoff in CsvView, or am I doing something wrong?

On another flight the HOME:distance plotted by CsvView becomes undefined about 1000 ft, whereas in Flight Reader it continues up to 15,918 ft. Again, is 1000 ft a hard limit in CsvView? -- jclarkw
Can you provide the .txt? And, the .csv generated by the Flight Reader?

Last edited:
Can you provide the .txt? And, the .csv generated by the Flight Reader?
I'll send them to your "bug" email. I'd prefer not to post them publicly. There were two different flights. I will send each in a separate message... -- jclarkw

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada