DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Custom Goggles/Mavic case

p40whk

Reactions
Question for you guys that pack your stuff out to the field.

If you could create custom foam for your gear what would you say must go in it?

I'm drawing up a custom foam insert for a backpack and not sure of all the gear that I should or need to fit in the compartment that has the foam.

Below is what I have so far (I'm using a Seahorse 720 case as a template until I find a backpack to fit the foam into). Mycasebuilder.com is who I am using for this (I've done business with them before and am happy with their product) and they already have the Mavic, controller, batteries and the Mavic charger loaded into their database but not the goggles or any aftermarket parts. I drew up the goggles in their system but it does not allow me to make a "ring" for the headband with foam in the center so it will be open (see below):

I'd prefer to have the goggles under the headband as it comes in it's original box but can't draw that myself.

The long horizontal opening is for the FSLabs 5-in-1 charger but as you can see the headband would be one big cut out. I could put a small pouch with gear in the center of the headband but it wouldn't be secure.

If I created this for a backpack then the orientation would have to change to account for the new external foam shape but moving and rotating items is easy.

Right now I'm looking for any and all suggestions as I'm new to the Mavic and carrying everything around. Once I get the thing drawn I'd be happy to share the files with anyone that want to do this for themselves. It's anywhere from $50 on up for the custom foam and if you already have a decent pack then you're ahead of the game.

23331415_10155376879674191_9053070668889158071_o.jpg

Good effort! When I pack my stuff out to the field, I'm usually going hiking or biking, and compactness is paramount. With Goggles, that means:

- they must be assembled and ready to use
- the space inside the headband must not be wasted

I researched various Goggles cases and found the only compact one which allows to pack all essentials (it was a hack mentioned in this review on amazon):

untitled-jpg.23876

(the stuff on the left goes inside the mesh pocket; of course, for hiking, the chargers are not needed, but this pic shows how much stuff this case can fit)

This case goes inside whatever backback I take with me.

To protect the controller better, I now use a Hermitshell case for it, still fits inside the band.

The Mavic is under the headband, under the controller, in DJI sleeve. Not a lot of protection, but if you're careful, it's good enough. If somebody designed a foam "craddle" that precisely matches the bottom of the Mavic and can be affixed by a rubber band or velcro straps, that would be awesome. Actually, I have the foam cutout for the Mavic from my Doubi case, just need to scoop it out with a hotknife.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190