DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Customs issues in Mexico (Cancun airport)

jakehinman

Reactions
Can anyone offer experienced based advice on bringing a Mavic / Phantom into Mexico via the Cancun airport? Or any insight regarding Mexican law and potential duties / tariffs that would be imposed for bringing in a drone?

I ask because the Bahamian Customs authorities recently mandated a fee of half the value of your drone as if you choose to enter with one.

Thanks for any & all help.

Reactions: pjnashville
No pertinent info to share on that but Bahamian Customs will take a carton of cigarettes away from a chain smoker when he's entering the country, so I'm not surprised they would react to drones that way. OTOH, I do have a thought about Mexico, having traveled there so much. It's called "lana", litterally "wool". Think "grease", our euphemism, and you'll get what I mean.

Last edited:
I flew into the Couzmel airport 2 months ago with the Mavic with no issues. As long as you aren't bringing the drone in its retail packing with the intent to sell it I don't see why there would be any issue. I flew out of the Cancun airport and security thought the extra props I had were knifes, but I showed them what they were - no issues getting everything through.

I'm heading to Cancun on Wednesday.
I'm about 70% for the idea of bringing my Mavic with me...
I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Viper
I am from Mexico, I have a P3 and a Mavic. When I am going out of the country I have to report the drone to customs so when I return home they don't charge me duties for the drone (16% of it's value). The P3 got noticed once and I have to show the form. I have entered with the Mavic twice with my form prepared and they haven't asked for it. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don't.
The only restricted sites here, besides near airports are the archeological sites. Other than that you can fly anywhere. Have fun!

Jorge

I'm going to Cabo Saturday. Planning on taking it. Hopefully no problems...

Just looking for info on taking drone into Mexico, any customs issues.
Sorry about your unfortunate incident.

Been to Florida a hundred times, first time to Mexico, wanna capture some awesome footage but not sure about customs issues!

Reactions: larryp
I'm going to Cabo Saturday. Planning on taking it. Hopefully no problems...
Eric, I'm leaving for Cabo as well on Saturday. Bringin' the Mavic. Already have a couple Litchi missions planned for the rocks on the pacific side.
I'll be lookin' for ya.

I arrived in Cabo San Lucas yesterday with my Mavic. I had put my "Fly More" bag in my back pack with the Mavic, 2 spare batteries etc. There was no question at TSA in Portland Oregon.

In Los Cabos, everything had to go through the X-ray, including my backpack with with the Mavic inside. No questions asked.

I arrived in Cabo San Lucas yesterday with my Mavic. I had put my "Fly More" bag in my back pack with the Mavic, 2 spare batteries etc. There was no question at TSA in Portland Oregon.

In Los Cabos, everything had to go through the X-ray, including my backpack with with the Mavic inside. No questions asked.
Cool. Thanks for the update. Btw, I'm traveling from Seattle. That's how travel with the Mavic (in a camera bag).

Reactions: FilthyRich
Taking the mavic or a phatom into cancun is not an issue. I've done it 4 times in the last year and a half.. I just went to cancun two weeks ago, no issues as always/

Two years ago, going through customs in Cabo with my P3P, I got a "Red" result when I pushed the button. That meant inspection time.. They found the P3P and asked me how much it cost. I told them 1200. They charged me a tax on 200.. Apparently anything over 1,000 can be taxed. They gave me a receipt and said I would never have to pay the tax again..

Morale of the story.. if you are unlucky enough to get a 'Red' response to pushing the button, just be prepared to tell them your drone (Mavic or whatever) cost $999.

The man asked about Cancun..

I went in December on Spirit Airlines. Had the Mavic in the fly more bag with 3 batteries (fully charged oops), 15,000mah external battery, gopro 5 and 4 batteries. Note: no battery terminal protectors or anything fancy. Carried it on and carried it off. It was scanned at Houston Intercontinental and also at Cancun International. TSA decided that checking my girlfriend's bag was much more important and didnt bat an eye at the Mavic. I also had a carton of cigarettes on me which didnt raise any eyebrows.

Here the video I ended up making with all the equipment I brought:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark