DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Da Vinci Resolve 15 Tutorial

e143slime8

Reactions
Hi,

Am newbie to video editing and finally started to try my luck at editing my MA footage. Last night tried going through this tutorial:
A "12 Minute Crash Course". Well, an hour later and 6 minutes into it I finally gave up due to lateness of the hour and being hung up on a particular section.

Any recommendations for a better tutorial. I know there's a gazillion of them options. Looking for something tailored to my skill level.

Thanks.

Two major issues with Resolve, 1) the trimming, editing and splicing are extremely unintuitive and 2) It doesn't do smart trimming which means it re-encodes the entire video and you lose video quality and end up with artifacting. If you are going to use Resolve to add filtering or effects to the the whole video(it has some nice features) then make sure you're only doing your final export once. Don't edit and export multiple times, as each time you lose more quality.

That's how basically every NLE out here operates.

This is for a version that's several years old so lots of stuff will have changed, probably not a good choice anymore.

BMD themselves have a pretty good course with sample files.

Yes, but if you want to simple clipping and editing and not add effects, or you want to get that done first before adding effects there are tools that do not do re-encoding.

I posted because most people don't realize that everytime you edit and save a video or photo you lose quality

Make sure your PC has a GPU such as those from Nvidia. Resolve is a great tool, but you need the graphics power to avoid stuttering while editing.

Yes, but if you want to simple clipping and editing and not add effects, or you want to get that done first before adding effects there are tools that do not do re-encoding.

I posted because most people don't realize that everytime you edit and save a video or photo you lose quality
Yes I do want clipping and editing along with color grading, effects not so much. Just would like to come up with a finished video that looks good. It seems that for Windows, many people use Resolve and I thought I'd give it a shot .

I'm willing to try anything else towards my lack of expertise (at this point). Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Yes I do want clipping and editing along with color grading, effects not so much. Just would like to come up with a finished video that looks good. It seems that for Windows, many people use Resolve and I thought I'd give it a shot .

I'm willing to try anything else towards my lack of expertise (at this point). Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
I have been using Davinci Resolve 16 for a few months, I find it easy to use and or a good free tutorial look at Home They have some free and paid tutorials.

I have been using Davinci Resolve 16 for a few months, I find it easy to use and or a good free tutorial look at Home They have some free and paid tutorials.
From time to time they have a bundle sale of all of the DR16 courses for $97.

Adobe Premier Elements is pretty intuitive. However, advanced editing takes some trial & error. At least that's true for me.

In my experience, there really isn’t a “best” tutorial. Sometimes, you just need to hear it explained in a different way, or see it demonstrated in a different way, in order to better understand it.

First thing I did when I downloaded Davinci was play with it to try and edit a video. It was very confusing, not very intuitive and I really couldn’t figure out how to do much of anything.

Next I download the manual. But at over 1000 pages, I decided that a “quick start” guide might be better. I watched several tutorial videos, some longer than others.

After several hours of tutorials, I had a basic understanding of the software, and found that it was quite easy to use (once I got the hang of it), and much more powerful and adaptable than other more basic software I had used in the past.

After two years of using Davinci, I have only scratched the surface of what this software is capable of. There are times where I have spent hours watching YouTube videos on a particular advanced technique, and now that I know how to do it, it is second nature.

I still have many youtube videos bookmarked for later, in hope of continued education on more advanced use of this software.

I don’t particularly enjoy all the time it takes to edit videos, or learn how to use the software. I do, however, enjoy watching the finished project... enjoying the “fruit of my labors” so to speak.

Thanks.
If you want to trim, split, join your videos and lose ZERO quality, I recommend using avidemux here: avidemux - Browse /avidemux/2.7.2 at SourceForge.net

I just trimmed the end of a video in this while Resolve was using 95% cpu on my laptop and had been running for 30 minutes and was 70% complete. The trim in in avidemux took 3 minutes while cpu was under that load from Resolve. You can also do basic color filters and dow rez(among other features) that then require re-encode, but that same process takes about 15 min for the same video edit vs 45 min for Resolve.

Now all that said this does not have special effect and transitions, but you can split up your raw video, use Resolve to add the transitions in small sections then use avidemux to rejoin them the rest of the raw video and only lose video quality on the section you wanted transitions on. Not to mention that significantly cuts the down the time in Resolve if it's working with short clips.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
I use VSDC - there is a free version or paid version. They also have a bunch how to videos on YouTube

Reactions: Imagineimagery
Its too conplicated and has too many features for a 12.minute crash course. Find specific tutorials to.do the things you want to be able to do. Find little project based tutorials.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803